Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Out with the old..

Views : 2024

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2021, 18:12   #1
Terra1

Default Out with the old..

After 8 years of XC90 ownership (rare in the UK '07 3.2 , lpg'd) our car was getting a bit long in the tooth and bills were mounting so it felt like the right time to switch. After many hours searching for the right spec we got ourselves a late 2020 B5P in pine grey. Pretty much all the boxes ticked aside from HK/B&W audio (would have been nice) and 3rd row climate (my kids have survived this long!) and enough warranty for a few years of anxiety free ownership. Got the running boards and towbar added prior to purchase. I've had it for just over a week and have done a good mix of journeys. Overall thoughts are the car is as expected a total different level of fit/finish/spec/power compared to the Mk1 but I would hope so at the price point! The B5P is a little agricultural at low revs but it was always going to struggle vs the 3.2 6 cylinder which was very smooth. I've been impressed with the mpg so far, averaged c.40-45mpg for a motorway trip yesteday, the 3.2 did c.17-25mpg (14mpg on lpg). I had bought it without seeing pine grey in the flesh but it's a great colour and changes nicely dependant on the lighting.

Next steps - it's 'underwheeled' so it needs some 20's/21's really.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210724_191209.jpg (357.0 KB, 166 views)
Terra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 20:35   #2
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWren View Post
After 8 years of XC90 ownership (rare in the UK '07 3.2 , lpg'd) our car was getting a bit long in the tooth and bills were mounting so it felt like the right time to switch. After many hours searching for the right spec we got ourselves a late 2020 B5P in pine grey. Pretty much all the boxes ticked aside from HK/B&W audio (would have been nice) and 3rd row climate (my kids have survived this long!) and enough warranty for a few years of anxiety free ownership. Got the running boards and towbar added prior to purchase. I've had it for just over a week and have done a good mix of journeys. Overall thoughts are the car is as expected a total different level of fit/finish/spec/power compared to the Mk1 but I would hope so at the price point! The B5P is a little agricultural at low revs but it was always going to struggle vs the 3.2 6 cylinder which was very smooth. I've been impressed with the mpg so far, averaged c.40-45mpg for a motorway trip yesteday, the 3.2 did c.17-25mpg (14mpg on lpg). I had bought it without seeing pine grey in the flesh but it's a great colour and changes nicely dependant on the lighting.

Yeah. Change those wheels. Ugly wheels. Those wheels don't match with the car and the colour of it.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 21:02   #3
Shepherdspie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWren View Post
In my opinion, if you do not have air suspension I wouldn't go any larger than 20". The ride can be a bit harsh above that, it was what originally put us off having an XC90 when the Mk2 first came out. Thankfully went back a few years later and had a much better experience. Worth keeping the wheels and putting some winter tyres on though if you can afford to keep them and pay a pretty penny for the 20's.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 22:27   #4
Terra1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherdspie View Post
In my opinion, if you do not have air suspension I wouldn't go any larger than 20". The ride can be a bit harsh above that, it was what originally put us off having an XC90 when the Mk2 first came out. Thankfully went back a few years later and had a much better experience. Worth keeping the wheels and putting some winter tyres on though if you can afford to keep them and pay a pretty penny for the 20's.
Thanks. I was concerned about ride on the 21's. Main issue is no sets on the 'used' market i.e ebay and i can't stomach £1k plus rubber for new ones, a lot for an extra inch!
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 20:14   #5
Shepherdspie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra1 View Post
Thanks. I was concerned about ride on the 21's. Main issue is no sets on the 'used' market i.e ebay and i can't stomach £1k plus rubber for new ones, a lot for an extra inch!
Blackcircles.com for my tyres.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 10:16   #6
Terra1

Thanks, they are normally my 'go to'. Annoyingly Costco do really good offers too but they will only change 4 tyres at a time on a AWD car, I have the same problem with my R32, nuts!
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 16:24   #7
bluey_xc90

Congrats on your new toy... did the same a month ago from 11 xc90 d5 to my22 xc90 r-design b5d. Bit of a jump up in the tech and now settled into it and enjoying much better fuel economy - have done 2000 miles in the first month!
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluey_xc90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 17:31   #8
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

What sort of economy do you get from the B5D? I get about 36-37 in routine mixed motoring from my own olde D5 with Polestar, 43-44 on a disciplined legal speed long run.

That compares poorly to the 100+ my Dad gets from his T8 (hes anally picky about charging it and not using the petrol motor at all where possible), and I'm just curious what the middle ground option gives.
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 15:32   #9
Terra1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey_xc90 View Post
Congrats on your new toy... did the same a month ago from 11 xc90 d5 to my22 xc90 r-design b5d. Bit of a jump up in the tech and now settled into it and enjoying much better fuel economy - have done 2000 miles in the first month!
Thanks, it's big jump right! Sounds like you've been racking up the miles, we did about 400 last week which was as much as we normally do in a month. I feel its a much calmer environment than the old one. The wife and MiL have commented that they feel like the car is running away with itself but maybe that is just the extra performance/turbo vs NA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terra1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 12:48   #10
bluey_xc90

On the B5D which has done 2000 miles in the first month we're getting 43-47mpg on long runs. Around town about 30-36, hmid to igh 30's when pottering around in mix of driving. Not that much more than a D5, probably 1-3mpg max

Much better than gen 1 xc90 with d5 (11 plate, 200bhp) which never broke 30 on a run... round town about 20ish! Average 25-26...
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluey_xc90 For This Useful Post: