Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1772954

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 07:38   #2601
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I would retire for the evening and take Horlicks if i were you Alan, have another think in the morning as to whether you condier it a good idea still.

If you've ever applied large self-adhesive decals or tried tinting your windows with film or similar, think about how that went.

If it went smoothly (in all senses of the word) then maybe give it a go. If it didn't and you ended up with some scrap material, imagine how you'd feel if that was £250 worth of scrap material!

Also worth a look :

https://youtu.be/TXZZCRcGLY8

Disclaimer - she can be a potty-mouth at times!

Also something else to bear in mind - if the bodywork isn't absolutely glass-smooth, it WILL show up under the film
Wonderful video Dave: what a dizzy bird (I never understand why blond girls dye their eyebrows dark)... but brilliant. That puts wrapping in perspective: Gus and Will made it look much easier (and the outcome much better) than it really is.

I'm back in reality now - the RB looks fine the way it is :-)

Alan
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 08:58   #2602
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Welcome back to reality Alan!

I've never understood women and their eyebrows - others even go so far as to pluck theirs out then have them tattoo'd back on!

Also a bit dubious about Will Trickett and Gus Gregory and what they achieve. Will Trickett is an engineer and had (still has?) his own engineering shop and was often seen helping Kevin McCloud when he was doing the series about off-grid living in a shed in a remote field somewhere.

As for Gus Gregory, he's a former photographer who although willing and enthusiastic, doesn't seem to have the knowledge and/or aptitude to diagnose cars and their foibles. Case in point was he stripped out the entire gear linkage on a cable operated gear shift (FWD car) because the gear lever motion was stiff to renew the cables. All it needed was some lube on the ball/socket the gear lever sits in. Could have been fixed in 10 minutes but he wasted a day doing something unnecessary!

As for wrapping that MR2, i wonder how many takes it took and how many rolls of film they scrapped!?!?!?!?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 11:46   #2603
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Welcome back to reality Alan!

I've never understood women and their eyebrows - others even go so far as to pluck theirs out then have them tattoo'd back on!

Also a bit dubious about Will Trickett and Gus Gregory and what they achieve. Will Trickett is an engineer and had (still has?) his own engineering shop and was often seen helping Kevin McCloud when he was doing the series about off-grid living in a shed in a remote field somewhere.

As for Gus Gregory, he's a former photographer who although willing and enthusiastic, doesn't seem to have the knowledge and/or aptitude to diagnose cars and their foibles. Case in point was he stripped out the entire gear linkage on a cable operated gear shift (FWD car) because the gear lever motion was stiff to renew the cables. All it needed was some lube on the ball/socket the gear lever sits in. Could have been fixed in 10 minutes but he wasted a day doing something unnecessary!

As for wrapping that MR2, i wonder how many takes it took and how many rolls of film they scrapped!?!?!?!?
... a bit like Wheeler Dealers, I wonder how much backroom work it takes to make that programme :-)

You may be right about needing quite a bit of spare vinyl to get it looking right on the MR2 (or maybe some professional car wrapping mate gave them a hand?).

:-)
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 12:26   #2604
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... a bit like Wheeler Dealers, I wonder how much backroom work it takes to make that programme :-)

You may be right about needing quite a bit of spare vinyl to get it looking right on the MR2 (or maybe some professional car wrapping mate gave them a hand?).

:-)
Never watched Wheeler Dealers except part of one episode where i switched off in disgust as they clearly knew less about cars than the average brown horse.

I strongly suspect much of the work done on Flippin' Bangers is done by a "team" of workers with just a few shots of the jobs being done by the "stars" to make it credible.

Do the maths on their business model as they purvey it - they both gave up well paid jobs and rented a workshop to buy and sell one car a week with the aim of doubling their investment.
They don't always manage to double their investment but let's assume for a moment they do.

One car, total investment £800, sold for £800 in a week. That's £800 profit - or is it?

That workshop must cost a fair bit each month to rent including the utilities - let's say £1000/pcm as a ballpark figure, that's £230/week straight off their top line and only leaves £570 out of their hypothetical £800 car above. That's £285/wk each in wages, if they take any wages. Works out about £15k a year each, much less than they would have been earning.
Also they haven't included their fuel for viewing/buying said cars, chasing round the country to get spares to revive said cars.
Then there are the welding materials they use on many of the cars - no cost is ever mentioned for those. Also ebay listing fees.....

Factor that lot in and call it £100/wk being generous. Drops their earnings to £235/wk or about £12k a year - all before tax etc as well!

To actually make it pay and produce a living wage for the pair of them, they really need to be doing 3 cars a week but ideally more like 5 and turning them over in that time as well, not just getting them ready to sell.

Work all that out and the only conclusion i can come to is that the production company is paying them to do it so they're never actually worried when a car doesn't sell via ebay (as some haven't and then there was that Alfa Romeo that folded itself round the two-post lift overnight so they scrapped it) and takes time to sell afterwards.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Aug 3rd, 2021 at 12:32. Reason: Extra info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 17:24   #2605
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Never watched Wheeler Dealers except part of one episode where i switched off in disgust as they clearly knew less about cars than the average brown horse.

I strongly suspect much of the work done on Flippin' Bangers is done by a "team" of workers with just a few shots of the jobs being done by the "stars" to make it credible.

Do the maths on their business model as they purvey it - they both gave up well paid jobs and rented a workshop to buy and sell one car a week with the aim of doubling their investment.
They don't always manage to double their investment but let's assume for a moment they do.

One car, total investment £800, sold for £800 in a week. That's £800 profit - or is it?

That workshop must cost a fair bit each month to rent including the utilities - let's say £1000/pcm as a ballpark figure, that's £230/week straight off their top line and only leaves £570 out of their hypothetical £800 car above. That's £285/wk each in wages, if they take any wages. Works out about £15k a year each, much less than they would have been earning.
Also they haven't included their fuel for viewing/buying said cars, chasing round the country to get spares to revive said cars.
Then there are the welding materials they use on many of the cars - no cost is ever mentioned for those. Also ebay listing fees.....

Factor that lot in and call it £100/wk being generous. Drops their earnings to £235/wk or about £12k a year - all before tax etc as well!

To actually make it pay and produce a living wage for the pair of them, they really need to be doing 3 cars a week but ideally more like 5 and turning them over in that time as well, not just getting them ready to sell.

Work all that out and the only conclusion i can come to is that the production company is paying them to do it so they're never actually worried when a car doesn't sell via ebay (as some haven't and then there was that Alfa Romeo that folded itself round the two-post lift overnight so they scrapped it) and takes time to sell afterwards.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
I'm a bit addicted to Wheeler Dealers and to Flippin' Bangers Dave - I think they are both excellent TV. Of course the business models don't work (for either show) that is just the cover story to make the scenario sound plausible. The money comes from royalties earned by the production company selling the shows on afterwards - that is the same with all TV programmes (with the exception of the weather forecast, public information broadcasts and party political slots).

Some things have to be taken with a pinch of salt: like Will removing a Metro's rear subframe to clean its top, and then re-install - but the shows showcase all sorts of useful techniques, skills and products in an easily digestible half hour show with a few (normally car related) ads thrown in for good measure.

... I still like both programmes :-)
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 12:32   #2606
Othen
Premier Member

Default Headlamp Wipers

I got round to having a go at fixing the spare nearside headlamp wiper motor I'd acquired recently. Readers may recall it was parking at the wrong place (at the top of the stroke, rather than the bottom).

The motor had been taken apart previously, so it was easy to access:

... you may see I have marked the orientation of the crank (the red piece) with a purple marker. The drive for the park interrupter is the small plastic cog at the top. The idea was to rotate the crank to about 180 degrees from its start position whilst leaving the motor and the parking cog in the original park position. Like this:

... this as a bit of an inexact science - I thought I'd try it in that position and then test and adjust (as they say at the shooting range).

I tested it with a battery again and found I'd got the position just about right, so I plastic welded the back of the unit of with a soldering iron, and sealed up the seam with some black silicone I happened to have in the garage:

It seems to work alright now (starting its rotation from the parked position in an anti-clockwise direction). I'll leave the silicone a couple of hours and then maybe try it on the RB this afternoon.

Watch this space :-)

Alan
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 13:36   #2607
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Great work there Alan! Fingers crossed it works as it should for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 13:39   #2608
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Great work there Alan! Fingers crossed it works as it should for you!
Thanks Dave. I’m quietly confident that this will work - but if for some reason it doesn’t I can always revert back to the current set up.

Alan
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 09:32   #2609
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Pedantry alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thanks Dave. I’m quietly confident that this will work - but if for some reason it doesn’t I can always revert back to the current set up.

Alan
"Revert back" - I never thought that you would use that construct. My primary school English teachers would have invited me to write out 100 times that "back is tautological and should not be used with 'revert'". Hang your head in shame!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 10:00   #2610
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

And yet ... And yet ... How often are we asked to enter our PIN number, for instance?! Happens all the time, often without our even realising it!

Regards, John.