Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4 D5 Thumping noise

Views : 14200

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2021, 18:17   #41
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Yes is the answer but they are hydraulic lifters not purely mechanical as tappets are.

How long has yours been happening for?

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 18:40   #42
Mattye

Hi Yorkshire.
I bought the car back in July last year, gave it a service but I've only noticed the noise the past couple of months. Maybe the next oil change will help as I've read others say that it goes to a certain degree after an oil change. I use 10W40 Catrol oil.
Car is an 06 D5 with 129000 and a good service history.
Mattye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 20:47   #43
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Hmm.

So, my experience is that when a lifter goes it can do real damage to the 'well' it sits in as in break part of the well wall away. On mine, the lifter then 'floated' around and wore away the well wall so it became smooth. None of said wall could be found so we assume it's in the sump! This of itself isn't so bad as aluminium isn't likely to damage bores.

HOWEVER. When the wall breaks the oilway that feeds that well is suddenly becomes completely unrestricted. Oil pours out where it can go fastest and consequently lowers oil pressure to everything else under that rocker box. In my case, being starved of appropriate levels of oil did for my exhaust camshaft too.

As a fellow sufferer, I strongly urge you to take the rocker cover off asap and inspect the lifters and the wells they float in under the rocker arms. If a well wall has broken then it a 'new' head. When you reassemble, I'd strongly advise new lifters & rocker arms. Obvs you need gaskets, cam shaft oil seal and new timing belt kit (change idler arms too).

The best you can hope for is simply collapsed lifters. The worst is as described and you'll not know till you strip it.

If you need new lifters and rocker arms, I'll be selling my brand new (unused) set for £182 posted. Might even have the proper Volvo camshaft end seal too.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed yours isn't as bad as mine

Old Apr 20th, 2021, 23:49   #44
Danielpsmith
Master Member

I can mirror that advice I left mine and it snapped the lifter and rocker and took the engine out. So definitely get it checked sooner rather than later.
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danielpsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 09:47   #45
Mattye

Hi YorkshireDave,
I'll take those lifters and rocker arms please and if you have the seal as well all the better.
Maybe PM me for payment details. Mot sure I can send PM's yet but I can receive and respond to them.
Mattye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 19:24   #46
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Default Update

So, at the beginning of Feb 21 I bought my XC90 from a forum member. After explaining I was pushing the boat out on the price, he reassured me by saying, "The car is in top condition, I am thinking of doing a remap at some stage just to reduce the usual turbo lag, other than that she needs nothing."

I am now 100% convinced he'd been advised to get rid due to the tug boat noise. His bills demonstrate spend to try to track down issues. So he found 'super sucker' me. Just want to say to him that whilst he may not have known the exact issue, he downright lied so is a dishonest swine and I truly hope karma kicks in big time very soon.

I have spent a grand total of £3345 in a new second hand engine, parts and labour to get myself what was originally advertised. That excludes the cost of 4 month's worth of tax and insurance for an undrivable vehicle.

Of course the vehicle can never be 'worth' what has been spent. I was advised from day one to get rid, but I simply could not do that to another human being never mind a fellow Volvo owner & forum member. Some might consider that daft or soft, but hey that's me

My takeaways from all of this? 1) Trust no one who's in marketing or takes nice pictures... & 2) Anyone who has the tell tale tugboat sound, IT IS SERIOUS. Get it fixed ASAP otherwise it's a new engine and a whole load of sh1t...

Thank you to everyone who helped/advised. It's been a hell of a journey and I've learned shed loads

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 22:49   #47
Danielpsmith
Master Member

I was told the same to scrap it, it’s not worth it, but you couldn’t buy another decent one for the money I have literally spent 6.5k on mine in 18 months which scares me but fingers crossed it will last a good few years and I hope yours does as well.
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danielpsmith For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2021, 16:48   #48
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpsmith View Post
I was told the same to scrap it, it’s not worth it, but you couldn’t buy another decent one for the money I have literally spent 6.5k on mine in 18 months which scares me but fingers crossed it will last a good few years and I hope yours does as well.
I suspect the 'scrapper' fraternity are minted Dan. I'm not, and mores the point, think its a bl00dy waste to do so to an otherwise good vehicle.

I am however incandescent at the crooked swines at Volvo (Ford) to the point where this will be my last Volvo. The issue is a fundamental design flaw but they refused to issue a recall or even an advisory notice because they cynically realised that for as many that were fixed under warranty, 4 times that many would be missed and out of warranty when our problems arose.

The Following User Says Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 20:03   #49
Zander99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Depends on your skills, it took me 10 hours easy going
I must stress when in doubt if you can do it, let a good garage do it
And otherwise use a good workflow/description and a torque figure list voor all the important bolts of the camshaft.
And yes replace the cambelt/tensioner if its at least halfway and fill the inlet plenum with a good solvent to clean if its removed
Sorry to hijack this thread but mine are in dire need of changing, given OPs posting about his engine being f**ed.

Where can I find the appropriate torque figures? I have the tools, I feel confident now that I have read up on the subject, but its just the torque specs for bolts now I am wondering on.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 20:16   #50
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander99 View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but mine are in dire need of changing, given OPs posting about his engine being f**ed.

Where can I find the appropriate torque figures? I have the tools, I feel confident now that I have read up on the subject, but its just the torque specs for bolts now I am wondering on.
Personally I do not know. However I suspect VIDA would have the info. Good luck.