Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

looking for a new car

Views : 2764

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2012, 00:38   #1
mrlacey1983

Default looking for a new car

hello

sorry this will be one of those posts that regular forum goers are probably fed up with but here goes anyway............
im looking to buy a Volvo! but at a ripe old age of 28 will i look silly in a Volvo? im looking at a s40 1.6 s its just under £4k with 54k on the clock. i currently own a Saab 93 aero 2.8t v6 whilst a love it but my financial situation has taken a turn for the worst and 24mpg and £460 a year tax is killing me so im going to view this Volvo tomorrow, i know the 1.6 aint gonna set the world a light in terms of driving pleasure but it is safe and the interior look quite nice, ok so a few questions
1. what mpg are people getting on the 1.6 petrol in the real world?
2. what are they like to drive?
3. what are the common problems to look out for? this car comes with 6 months warranty so hopefully get any problems sorted out in the period.
4. does the interior rattle? my Citroen c2 did and my Saab has a few rattles here and there
5.Volvo servicing costs?

thank you for any replies

Last edited by mrlacey1983; Nov 25th, 2012 at 00:40.
mrlacey1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 02:18   #2
Alex121
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlacey1983 View Post
hello

sorry this will be one of those posts that regular forum goers are probably fed up with but here goes anyway............
im looking to buy a Volvo! but at a ripe old age of 28 will i look silly in a Volvo? im looking at a s40 1.6 s its just under £4k with 54k on the clock. i currently own a Saab 93 aero 2.8t v6 whilst a love it but my financial situation has taken a turn for the worst and 24mpg and £460 a year tax is killing me so im going to view this Volvo tomorrow, i know the 1.6 aint gonna set the world a light in terms of driving pleasure but it is safe and the interior look quite nice, ok so a few questions
1. what mpg are people getting on the 1.6 petrol in the real world?
2. what are they like to drive?
3. what are the common problems to look out for? this car comes with 6 months warranty so hopefully get any problems sorted out in the period.
4. does the interior rattle? my Citroen c2 did and my Saab has a few rattles here and there
5.Volvo servicing costs?

thank you for any replies
What age is the car? I'm hoping that being just under £4k it's a newer model?

MPG - probably not very good in the real world, small petrol engine in a big car = disaster, not sure why car companies keep doing it. I would go for a 1.8 minimum for reasonable performance/economy, though the diesels would be better. 2.0D isn't Volvos so not quite as good and also suffers from DPF issues. D5 is the best to go for.

I would post this in the S40/V50 section as those guys will be able to help you out a lot with common faults/what to look out for...

Oh, and you're never too young to drive a Volvo....I'm 21 and love mine and there are quite a few other young Volvo owners on here too

Last edited by Alex121; Nov 25th, 2012 at 02:32.
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 02:39   #3
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Should of went with the 9-5 Aero 2.3 engine lol ... sorry had to add that because the 2.8 V6 is bloody thirsty and has the exact same performance.

I wouldn't touch a 1.6 because in a bigger car as Alex points it, fuel consumption would be affected. Small engine doesn't = eco in larger cars, quite the opposite.

A 1.9D S40 of the original would be ideal. You can get a mint example for just 2.5k and you get 52.3mpg £75 6 months tax - £135 for 12 months. Reliable motors. 5th for the most reliable car in the UK.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 10:58   #4
mrlacey1983

The car is 05 plate so its the face lift model, the reviews of the car I've red have all stated 39.8 mpg, so i was expecting around 32mpg which would have been ok. I can't get a diesel because i only do small trips to work and the would probably kill if, epesally if its an old diesel.

I was thinking of getting a 95 hot but they are quite ugly and the facelift 93 is bloody beautiful
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 14:42   #5
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

9-3 is heavily based on the Vectra...ew.

Anyway avoid the 1.6 and anything else beyond that should be fine.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 20:09   #6
mrlacey1983

the 93 is not as identical to the vectra as you would think, anyways that volvo had been sold so think ill be playing it safe n get a focus

Last edited by mrlacey1983; Nov 25th, 2012 at 20:12.
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 20:36   #7
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlacey1983 View Post
the 93 is not as identical to the vectra as you would think, anyways that volvo had been sold so think ill be playing it safe n get a focus
From an autocar roadtest

Vauxhall’s partnership with Saab is, more often than not, reported in the 9-3’s extensive use of Vectra underpinnings.

The 9-5 has some Vauxhall similarities(floorpan and discs) but the 9-3 is heavily based on the big Vauxhall. Very well known for it and the 2.8T engine is the same engine found in the VXR vectra.

Not saying it's not a good car either, just it shares a lot with with the Vauxhall.

What type of focus? If you are spending 4k you can get yourself some very eco cars with good performance. The 1.9D as I listed is a superb choice.

Old Nov 25th, 2012, 20:37   #8
Alex121
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post

What type of focus? If you are spending 4k you can get yourself some very eco cars with good performance. The 1.9D as I listed is a superb choice.

Nahhhhh, ignore that, get the ST 2.5 litre, 5 cylinder Volvo turbo in there

Dirt cheap to buy these days too
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex121 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 20:40   #9
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex121 View Post

30.3combined. Still better than the thirsty V6 though.

Old Nov 25th, 2012, 20:42   #10
Will M
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex121 View Post

Probably because they drink like a thisty fish.

Whats the fuel consumption like in the T4
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote