Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery slow drain

Views : 1320

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 13:32   #1
LPTkim
Phase 1 2.5T called Olive

Default Battery slow drain

Hi all,
Battery has drained away in 5 days of non use......have found that recently the interior lights have been staying on with all the doors closed. So have them switched off, on switch by interior mirror. I suppose because I have been on a new battery and using the car fairly often it has not shown up , till now any ideas ??? thanks Kim
LPTkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 13:38   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

At least you know where the problem lies.

These are controlled by microswitches in the door lock mechanism, so sounds like you need to pop that out and clean it all up/test/investigate etc.

See if you can work out which door is doing it, save stripping ALL the lock mechs. Probably the driver's door though, based on how often it gets used.

Post back if you need help on how to do it.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 13:38   #3
mikealder
VOC Member

Check the door marker lights are off (you should be able to see the red glow through the gap at the rear edge of the front doors if you look in the dark) also the glovebox light is another that easy to miss and will drain a battery down over a period of five days - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 15:48   #4
LPTkim

cheers guys ...Its dead, dead so I will have to jump or recharge if that fails. wait till dark and start the investigations ...oh happy days... Kim
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 21:54   #5
LPTkim

Thanks for this ,
Do you mean there is a micro switch in all 5 door locks , what /where are they located. Is it an easy job to fix........in the past on my fords each door pillar had a sprung loaded pressure switch ,is the Volvo the same ? thanks Kim
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:53   #6
LPTkim

Question

having checked my Haynes ....of course its one of those take it to a dealer fixes....a nice guy on the forum has offered me a lock unit??? micro switch. Is it a big job to fix /
I think it is the passenger door that's the problem ,it comes and goes though. can something be cleaned or is it a change part thanks Kim....
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:58   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I did this job - to be honest the best way is to invest in a Haynes manual, the section on getting the locks out is quite good.

Will you need a new lock mech? Depends on what's wrong, you may be able to clean/adjust the microswitches, or it may be fubar - you need to take it out and investigate first IMO. On mine, the pivoting white plastic arm was stiff, so I freed it up and it's been fine since, but no telling what will actually be wrong with yours without taking it apart TBH.

If you do need a new lock mech, get one from a scrapper, you don't need to touch the lock barrel so no need to worry about keys etc.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 13:55   #8
SussexSwede

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I am having exactly the same problem on my V70 with the marker light staying on when the n/s rear door is closed. The alarm sounds as soon as the deadlocks go in. I've been trying to get to the micro switch and run into a snag with the Haynes manual. I am trying to remove the outer handle and the book says to push out the lock operating peg first. Thing is, I can't find anything which looks like the Haynes picture. The car is a 1999 T reg and the book is 96-99 V reg.
Any ideas please, and do I need to get the lock mechanism out before I can fiddle with the microswitch or even the plastic contact rod referred to in other posts.
I would consider disconnecting the alarm siren, but for the fact that the door marker light will drain the battery flat!
SussexSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 23:06   #9
phatboy130
1999 V70 XT Auto

This may help, it did for me following advice on here....

Before taking locks off etc, flood, and I do mean flood each of the door locks with wd40, then open and close til you get well ****ed off with boredom, or use a screwdriver to mimic the lock latching, this may see you right as often the problem is due to the microswitches in the lock getting gunked up and sticky. I used a whole large can to do all my locks. Hope that helps
phatboy130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 10:21   #10
SussexSwede

Thanks Phatboy!
I finally managed to get the lock out last night and I'm disappointed to see how clean it looks. Still I will do as you suggest and hope the microswitches get some benefit. Small little bu**ers aren't they?
SussexSwede is offline   Reply With Quote