Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

immisions failed on lpg ?

Views : 1804

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2012, 20:27   #1
adywilsonminiturbo

Default immisions failed on lpg ?

Ive recently had my c70 moted and it failed emisions on lpg ? Its got an autogas italia system the emisions was sky high so we created an air leak on the vaporisor and the emisions came down well in mot limits so im thinking that it is running to much gas is there anyway of turning the gas flow down also if I accellerate from idle whilst on gas car just cuts out I have to get revs up to 1500 before settin of so it doesnt cut out
adywilsonminiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 16:14   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Don't know about your overall running problems, but every time I've taken my LPG'd V70 for MOT they've always asked me to switch it to petrol, and then they've tested it as that, completely ignoring the LPG installation.

One thing does occur - what sort of state is your air filter in?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 18:54   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It is one I would need to see to find out what is wrong with it.

It does need the mixture adjusting but this should only be possible by software if the correct type of system is used.

My suspision is that it is the wrong kind of system - a mixer ring. There was/is a outfit that is well known for botched conversions from Morcombe bay they would fit a mixer to anything even cars that were industry know to be dangerous with explosions.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 17:50   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
t every time I've taken my LPG'd V70 for MOT they've always asked me to switch it to petrol, and then they've tested it as that, completely ignoring the LPG installation.

I thought they weren't allowed to do that, but had to test it on whatever fuel it was presented on?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 19:40   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I thought they weren't allowed to do that, but had to test it on whatever fuel it was presented on?
I've never questioned it to be honest, but now I've just had a look at the MoT website, and you are absolutely right, the car must be tested as presented.

My guess in that case is that the two local garages I've used over the years for MoTs have simply not really known much about LPG, so they've got around it by ignoring it!

I think just for fun, next time I'll present it running on gas and see what happens!

Mind you, thinking about it, you drive to the test station, switch off and give the keys to the tester. He then starts the car and drives it into the test bay. And of course, when he starts the engine it will automatically start on petrol. If left idling my car would stay on petrol - it only changes to gas automatically when the temp is right, and then when the revs go above about 1500 for the first time.

I guess ultimately I don't mind - so long as they pass it.

Cheers

Jack
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 21:27   #6
atnas666
Proud T4 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
I've never questioned it to be honest, but now I've just had a look at the MoT website, and you are absolutely right, the car must be tested as presented.

My guess in that case is that the two local garages I've used over the years for MoTs have simply not really known much about LPG, so they've got around it by ignoring it!

I think just for fun, next time I'll present it running on gas and see what happens!

Mind you, thinking about it, you drive to the test station, switch off and give the keys to the tester. He then starts the car and drives it into the test bay. And of course, when he starts the engine it will automatically start on petrol. If left idling my car would stay on petrol - it only changes to gas automatically when the temp is right, and then when the revs go above about 1500 for the first time.

I guess ultimately I don't mind - so long as they pass it.

Cheers

Jack
Mot testers have to test the car at normal operating temperatures. They will do this by leaving it running whilst doing other parts of the test or reving it... And dont forget it is reved up on the emission test Between 1500/2000rpm.. There for you would be on gas... And if not they have not warmed you car up to VOSA guide lines
atnas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:52   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It should switch over to LPG but chances are they will not know how to select LPG as the fuel type on the tester. That will not cause any real problem but telerance is differnt for LPG.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 18:24   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
It should switch over to LPG but chances are they will not know how to select LPG as the fuel type on the tester. That will not cause any real problem but telerance is differnt for LPG.
I reckon that's the answer - they simply take the easy option!

Cheers

Jack
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 22:34   #9
adywilsonminiturbo

hi thanks for replys my c70 has an autogas italia system fitted to it ive downloaded the software of internet and ran lpg ecu through auto setup and car is now running much better than it was gonna put it bak on immisions and see what happens but good feeling it is alot better only problem i am facing is now and again its missfiring whilst on gas and hessitating but if i slam foot to floor it seens to blow through it got a feeling gas system needs servicing theres a filter in the vapourisor so thinking it may have not been changed before also i have to produce it on lpg as i have no cat in exhaust system last owner put full stainless exhaust on from turbo back
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 23:47   #10
adywilsonminiturbo

just an update car runs better but had it back on an immsions tester yesterday and its well out failed again even with a tune up done with software really carnt understand it there is a test point on vapourisor we unscrewed it causing an air leak on lpg on emisions can to mot level so im wondering if its getting to much pressure from tank is that possible ??????