Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

problem with my 240 estate rear seat

Views : 849

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 11:07   #1
dino3

Default problem with my 240 estate rear seat

Hello fellow members,
I hope you can advise me on this problem.
The rear seat of my beloved 240 estate F reg (1987)is locked on one side.
I do not know what could have happened but I can tell that the handle seems to required less effort to pull than before, almost as if I dont know , the cable linked to one of the hooks had snapped ??
I cannot find instructions anywhere as to how to deal with this situation nor I can tell what part to dismantle in order to have a good look and deal with the problem.
Anyone experienced this?
Thanks
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 22:26   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default RE: problem with my 240 estate rear seat

It could be a cable, or, in my experience, more likely to be a plastic component in the lever system inside the seat.
You really need to lever the catch free with a screwdriver, and then unhitch the whole seat at the bottem. The hinges are sort of mushroom-shaped spring-loaded catches. You need a long screwdriver down the side, to lever the mushroom out so that it disengages from the slot in the seat hinge fitting. Having got one side free, wedge it with something so that it doesn't re-engage when you do the other side.
There is usually a zip in the seat cover, then you can gradually peel it off. The actual mechanism is a bit like the double catch on an up and over garage door, with rather shoddy (for a Volvo) plastic levers. When you get inside and see what is broken, or disconnected, you will be able to judge whether you can replace or bodge it up.
I have once fabricated a metal bit to replace a plastic lug that had broken off, but it might have been easier simply to find another scrap seat.

Good luck!
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 16:57   #3
wagoneer

I did mine a few months back. parkside Volvo in Orpington, Kent, got me a new mechanism for about £20. Having got the catch out of the back of the seat, I managaed to hook the operating cable out and pull it with pliers to release the seat. All in a bit fiddly but it works fine now the new mech is installed. All this was achieved with the seat in situ, in the locked position.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 17:42   #4
vjck_uk
Premier member

My 1988 240 has a steel bar about 8 m/m thick right across the seat and no cables or anything else.
I suppose this cable idea is a more recent idea (cheaper).
Why not just get the seat up as the guys say and then remove/break the catches and leave it.
It's not going anywhere but down is it,and it's certanily not going to jump up with someone sat on there,is it?.
An awful lot of cars don't have any sort of seat securing and just locate on pins.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 19:21   #5
migrator
Aye - him again

One of the reasons that these seat backs are firmly locked in the upright position is that they help to stop some loose heavy items from attacking the driver etc in the event of an emergency type stop (usually assisted with a good luggage/dog guard).

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 22:26   #6
vjck_uk
Premier member

Sorry,I thought you all meant the seat squab not the back.
The back certainly has got the wires etc in.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote