Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ford rs parts on our volvo r's

Views : 1335

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 18:28   #1
Jdsb

Default Ford rs parts on our volvo r's

Hi all, so while the cost of living crisis has been seriously upsetting my beloved s60r I've been mentally organizing it's future upgrades, the end goal to cram a Garrett gtx 3582r in there which will obviously need bomb proof sleeves fitted, needless to say this is going to be some time away.

I'll be doing the timing belt soon complete with all new pulleys and water pump, I figured I'll put a lightweight crank pulley on while I'm there.

This then led me into a problem that I think is fairly common among the R owners, being that finding performance parts can be quite challenging as it's not a huge market.

I remembered that our blocks are shared with the focus rs but the heads are different (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), so i looked up lightweight crank pulleys for the focus rs and instantly found exactly what i wanted, bit of further research to make sure it will fit and all's good, I'm fully aware that others will think what's the point but what can I say I'm like a magpie and it's shiney, once coupled with a single mass flywheel it'll aid in reducing the rotational weight just that little bit more.

Beyond all that I found myself looking at some of the upgrades for the focus rs unsurprisingly there's quite some choice and it got me thinking what parts can we poach.

One part I instantly recognised as a possibility is the upgraded 70mm throttle body, does anyone know if our electrical connector will fit? I appreciate that if it did then there would likely be further fabrication and ecu tuning to get the most out of it, if it'll plug straight up then I'd seriously consider fabricating an intake manifold and relocate the throttle body to smooth the flow of air from the intercooler, again I appreciate that many will probably say what's the point but again, it'll be shiney.

So if anyone has any knowledge on the comparability of these throttle body's please let me know, also any knowledge on other uprated components that the rs has that aren't available for the volvo t's then why not, thanks, Jim.
Jdsb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdsb For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 20:14   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

'because I want to' is a perfectly acceptable reason don't worry

there's always nay-sayers, best to ignore them unless its a dire warning about terminal failure

would love to see a build thread on that just for reasons of curiosity

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 21:49   #3
Jdsb

Thanks for the support, I'll definitely post a build thread when I get on it, I think manifold management and air flow is seriously lacking in these cars, there isn't alot of room to play with to be fair.

If the engine fuse box could be rotated and shifted to the side a little then place the air filter housing just behind the headlight it would allow an intercooler pipe to run directly to the front right corner of the manifold, im thinking place the etm there at an almost 45° angle, slightly larger plenum with shorter equal length runners, it would certainly smooth the flow of charged air entering the manifold, possibly reduce heat soak as well as the air forced in by the fan won't be restricted by the intercooler pipe and etm.

Yes I might give this a go
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 22:10   #4
Jdsb

Just going through your link, I share your pain on the welding thin sheet, it's not easy with mig, have you improved to where you want to be yet, have you ever used tig? Much better for thin gauge
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 22:14   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I do wonder though if the ford RS type throttle body is compatible in that, even though the connector may be the same (or at least the same number of wires that corrolate to volvo) can it be programmed to communicate with the ECU in the same way, or is the RS Canbus/ECU/etc totally different..

I've no doubt some genius can provide a work around in some way if that is an issue, taking signals and running them through a Pi for example, but that would make it a lot of agro and an extra point of failure which would only be worth it for noteworthy gains, surely

who knows.. I'm just totally spitballing here I have no actual knowledge personally lol

mini project - link
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 22:17   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsb View Post
..have you ever used tig?
the welder I have is one of those inverter type things which actually does have a Tig option, yeah I've been thinking of getting the right attachment and trying it out..

for now though I am getting better with the mig slowly but surely, there's definitely a knack to it.. the thin sheet is fine when it's new steel, but 30 year old bodywork has a habit of just popping holes when you go anywhere near it lol

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 22nd, 2022 at 23:19.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 07:56   #7
TLPower

I have always enjoyed a good faffing thread, I feel they should be encouraged.

https://www.importsauce.com/porsche-...0-s40-v50-c70/
TLPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 08:00   #8
Jdsb

A couple of things to note that I think might help is being aware of contaminates on the metal and oxygen, as both will cause excess heat and fireball the weld, with thin sheet this is a problem on both sides of the metal, obviously prepping the metal both sides will reduce contamination, a trick with reducing oxygen is to use a bit of steel pressed up against the back of where you'll be welding, it'll act as a heat sink and also reduce the amount of oxygen from behind, obviously this isn't possible if you're welding over a cavity, in this case you can get run some welding gas into the cavity by feeding a line in and sealing any gaps best you can, by back purging behind the weld you'll reduce the o2 that can enter the weld and should help keep things a bit cooler, other that it's like you said, go slow, give the metal plenty of time to cool down between stitches
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdsb For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 08:05   #9
Jdsb

Tlpower, dude awesome thanks for that, this will help alot, so it looks like the throttle body's can be interchangeable, I'll read through it further today when I get a chance but nice one
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 09:43   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsb View Post
..act as a heat sink and also reduce the amount of oxygen from behind, obviously this isn't possible if you're welding over a cavity..
In those cases you can use a bit of copper which the weld won't stick to, but holding it in place can be a bit of a contortionist act

I got a top tip from the MOT man which was start by splattering some quick weld around the edges of the hole which then acts a bit like those little hole-punch reinforcement stickies (just thickens up the edges really) and work inwards from there slowly letting it cool each time, you do end up grinding down a lot of waste weld but it works

mini project - link