Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is the V70 automatic any good?

Views : 3038

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2022, 22:23   #11
cogs

Thanks all, the mpg issue pops up quite a bit there. My Avensis which is a semi auto, I love the gearbox on it, returns an average of 35 mpg combined mileage. How does that compare to an auto V70?

All auto V70's I've seen so far have a stepped manual selection plus the auto like my Avensis, I think I'm correct in calling that a semi-automatic at least thats what the V5 says. Are all Auto V70 like this? is that what they call Geartronic?

My V40 is manual with 2.0 NA Volvo engine, I love it, but due to health reasons the main car needs to be auto. The V40 is faster just than the 1.8 Avensis and plenty quick enough for me. Anyone know how the V70 NA auto compares to the 2.0 NA manual V40 ?

I take comfort over speed nowadays but I do like the occasional legal blast.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 07:00   #12
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

From a personal point of view I feel slightly twitchy about auto boxes in general due to their complexity. I'd have been quite happy with a manual V70, but the car we homed in on was an auto so here we are. I'm hoping that at only 118k, and having recently had a fluid dump, it will be good for a few miles yet.
The OBC is currently reporting MPG of just over 32. It may seem disappointing, but my regular trips are 7-10 miles each way in hilly terrain, with multiple gear changes due to stop/start traffic conditions. I suspect that the true MPG on a brim-to-brim check might be a little less.
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 08:58   #13
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

A real world average calculated from the taco and the receipts in mine gives me about 24mpg mixed (70/30 urban to long runs) bear in mind I live in dagenham with speed bumps and traffic lights everywhere I go

I've got close to 30 a couple of times but it's unlikely unless I do pretty much all long runs at 50mph everywhere. I do have a heavy foot though, I don't like to wait about

when I've done periods of Urban only for a month or so, it's been known to drop as low as 17-18 (esp with A/C on)

Your results will vary depending on your routes and how you drive it

Engine wise the minimum size AFAIK is a 2.4 5pot and it came as 140bhp and then later identical engine but mapped to 170bhp, from what I've read there's little to no difference between the two except perhaps a little more right at the top of the rev range? Then again the v70 is bigger and heavier than the v40 . My guess would be you'd notice a little more oomph when not loaded up but it won't blow your socks off or anything it is just a load lugger

I have been wondering if the 170 map gets a little better economy at the bottom end but then at £400 for a remap and rolling road plus the risk of messing something up I'd rather just leave it alone

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Aug 26th, 2022 at 09:28.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 17:10   #14
Bearintheair
young and dumb

Have a poke around on fuelly ( https://www.fuelly.com/car ) and you should be able to get an idea of how the real world economy compares. I have a 140 auto and I get 32mpg average, which seems to be over the odds.
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 18:08   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

possibly because you live in a more rural area with less reasons to stop and start, that's really what causes my lower averages

I don't use fuelly, I do mine from the receipt and by the trip counter, and keep a spreadsheet

'band' means a 30min A road drive once per week (to rehearsals or gigs)

longer trips highlighted would be the ones to compare for people who dont live near london or other cities

that's with everything regularly serviced, kept in perfect working order no faults, tyres (36psi) and fluids checked regularly etc etc

I don't mind the MPG so much but the miles per pound lately have been greatly affected obviously

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Aug 26th, 2022 at 18:20.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 19:05   #16
Bearintheair
young and dumb

Oops yeah the locations wrong at the moment, I'm living deep in Edinburgh, which is a good couple miles to get out of town. Still averaging about the same. I mostly use it for long trips though, rarely drive just in town.

That's a very comprehensive spreadsheet, nice.
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 19:23   #17
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I would like to get a smaller little hatchback for work journeys and use the Volvo for carting the kids about and/or longer trips, but then what's a small cheap hatchback these days, £1000 minimum (example) plus insurance at £300 or so a year, £120 tax maybe, if I keep it 3 years that's the best part of £500 a year.. plus I'd have to park it somewhere that's residents only another £80 per year..

I can't be bothered to do the maths lol but how many mpg would I have to save to qualify £580 a year .. im guessing it probably isn't worth the hassle

plus anyway when it's a nice enough day (8 times out of 10 ish) I just ride my bike to work anyway because it's a nice trip across a park and total 12mins each way

although the MPG looks bad, my useage is actually pretty minimal, look at the 4th August to 25th August, that's 3 weeks at £45 = £15 a week

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Aug 26th, 2022 at 19:33.
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 19:29   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

with apologies for the slight thread derailment

mini project - link
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 22:32   #19
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

my t5 auto s60 gets 22-24 uk mpg combined, as I'm mostly not mega miles each trip but on a run I get 32-35mpg.

(remapped 300bhp)
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 22:33   #20
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

you have to remember the point of the turbo 5cyl was to replicate a v6 horsepower/ torque in a smaller transverse package
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote