Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 (Mk1 Phase 1) Panoramic Roof

Views : 1012

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread : GTarling

Old Mar 18th, 2023, 22:02   #1
Emrys17

Default XC60 (Mk1 Phase 1) Panoramic Roof

Hi,

We've recently bought a 2011 XC60 SE Lux which has the panoramic roof fitted. When we test drove the car, the interior sunscreen opened and closed but we couldn't get the roof to open. We didn't really make a fuss, we only paid about £5,000 for the car and weren't expecting to buy one with a Panoramic roof anyway, the fact that it had one wasn't a factor in our decision to buy the car.

When we collected the car and arrived home, the sunscreen doesn't seem to operate either. The car comes with a 3 month warranty but it hardly seems worth the 125 mile round trip back to the dealer to get it looked at and doesn't affect the way the car drives. Everything else works perfectly.

When using the switch, there are no motor noises at all. I'm in two minds if I want to open the sunroof on a 12 year old car anyway and have seen a few horror stories online of people either having the roof stuck open just before it rains, the seals failing, or drains blocking and the roof leaking or the roof opening by itself whilst the car is unattended. Unfortunately I am also a little intrigued at the same time.

I've checked and replaced the 5A fuse (21) in the small fuse box in the passenger footwell presuming that was the issue but nothing. It would be nice to get the sunscreen working, even if I can't get the glass bit to function. The switch seems to move fine but nothing else happens at all.

Does anyone happen to know if the roof just relies on the one fuse, or are there multiple fuses? Has anyone else had this issue? Is it likely to perhaps be a switch or the motor itself?

Does anyone know how to access the ceiling console without damaging anything (Its the wife's car and I'll get in trouble if I meddle too much and break something) I've had a look on YouTube and can't find anything specific to Volvo's that matches the issue I have.

Thank You
Emrys17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 06:05   #2
Hotravco

Ok so I have had this too - non working panoramic sunroof on my 2009 XC60. What it was and I think this is quite common, is that the sunroof drain tubes get blocked so water backs up into the area above the centre console lights by the mirror and flood the sunroof motor. It then fails as the motor housing contains a circuit board that controls the up/close routine for sunblind and tilt/open/close. The only option is to remove the centre light plastic console by prying it off and then removing/replacing the motor. Finding the correct one is hard and I had to import one from the US. Good luck!
Hotravco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 12:27   #3
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

I had a similar issue with an Audi A6 Allroad with a solar panel roof.

As above, replaced the motor etc, but also bought some bike brake cable lengths to push through the sunroof drains every few months to keep them clear. On the Audi the drains ran from the top corners of the open roof, down to the bottom of the A pillars.

I presume it's similar on a Volvo?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 15:33   #4
chriswatts1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotravco View Post
Ok so I have had this too - non working panoramic sunroof on my 2009 XC60. What it was and I think this is quite common, is that the sunroof drain tubes get blocked so water backs up into the area above the centre console lights by the mirror and flood the sunroof motor. It then fails as the motor housing contains a circuit board that controls the up/close routine for sunblind and tilt/open/close. The only option is to remove the centre light plastic console by prying it off and then removing/replacing the motor. Finding the correct one is hard and I had to import one from the US. Good luck!
Hi. 2009 XC60 158,000 miles. Found 2 inches of water in front passenger footwell last month. Suspected leaking panoramic sunroof. Mechanic says the problem is sunroof is stuck SHUT and that only when it can be opened, can he investigate the leak. He has found a part on ebay - in Latvia! Not ideal. So, as it is only worth £1600 P/Ex and £1000 scrap, I'm thinking it's not worth spending £800 to get sunroof working (only for my elderly car to have other problems). Question: would Tigerseal work to bond the sunroof shut and make the car watertight? As it stands a leaking car is undriveable.
Sealing the roof would allow me to continue using it and work it into the ground, especially as everything else work fine!
Thanks!
chriswatts1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 13:07   #5
mm60103

Default leaky sunroof

Hi
Had a similar problem with my 2010 XC60 last year. Came down to a flooded drivers footwell.

Cheap as chips to repair.

From memory you need to take all of the plastic mouldings and trim away from between the back of the engine bay and bottom of the windscreen. In there you will see the end of a plastic tube, the drain pipe for the sunroof. There is a drain pipe for each side of the roof.

There are drain points at each front corner of the suunroof suggesting the one on the drivers side is blocked.

Cleared the pipe and keep out of the way of the cup full of stagnant water coming your way.

Cost - £0. Chew - very little really.
mm60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:18   #6
Emrys17

I've been having a play with this issue again just for fun, the roof hasn't leaked but I wanted to see if I could get the roof working again, if not just the sun screen part of it.

I took the lighting console down and it's dry as a bone in there with no signs of water ingress anywhere.

I then removed the sunroof motor and found that it was also dry but seized solid but it was possible to theoretically turn it with an allen key. After a good dose of GT85 and some time for it to soak in, eventually it was possible to turn the allen key bolt. I re-installed the motor and used an allen key to manually open the roof. It opened fine but I couldn't get the sun screen bit to open at all. I've checked both drain holes with some soapy water and some bicycle inner gear cable and both sides are clear of obstructions and then reclosed the roof.

I've checked the fuses again in the engine fuse box and the one under the glovebox and both are fine.

I put everything back into place and turned the ignition on to try the sunroof now that the motor is no longer seized and still nothing.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know if the same motor used to open the roof is also used for the sun screen, or is there a separate motor or mechanism for that?

2. Given than neither the sun screen or the roof open electrically at the moment, is there anything else worth checking? I am considering checking and replacing the switch.

3. If it's an issue with the motor, has anyone had much success with the aftermarket ones you can buy new on eBay for about £75?
Emrys17 is offline   Reply With Quote