Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon: instrument & reversing lights...

Views : 2340

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 29th, 2016, 23:27   #1
SvenSomerset

Default Amazon: instrument & reversing lights...

Hey folks,

We've been enjoying getting out and about in our '64 Amazon since the weather got drier, and in case it pours down I've stuck plenty or Arbomast in the corners of the front screen, until we get it refitted...

However, our poorly mech's still AWOL and we've got a coupla small electrical niggles: neither instrument lights nor the reversing lights are working...

We knew that the lead to the gearbox which the reversing lights work off hadn't been reconnected when we got the car – the 'original' owner took his tuned engine out and dropped a 1966 B18 in. Our mech appears to have reconnected the lead but still no lights when my missus puts the Amazon into reverse... where's the best place to start diagnosing the issue? Could it be the solenoid on the gearbox?

The instrument lights aren't working, either. I sprayed some contact cleaner in the rehostat and gave it a good work left/right, as suggested on the Swedish Embassy guide, but no joy. We do, however, have the heater illumination working, when you put the lights on, which leads me to think that the instrument bulb(s) have gone – is the heater light on the same circuit, I'm guessing that it is? So how do I actually get to the instrument light bulb to replace it, and is this a Volvo-specific item or can it be bought from any decent motor factor?
I'd rather try and replace the bulb(s) before attempting "Repair Option 3 (Permanent electrical bypass, Instrument Lighting set to maximum, and loss of dimming function)" as detailed here: http://www.sw-em.com/Intermittent_Va...t_Lighting.htm

Oh, and there's also a strange little round 'pull switch' mounted below the dash, in front of the gearshift, which says 'LR' on it – any ideas what the hell that is? Appears to be factory fitted as the little metal mounting is the same cream as the dash...

Any advice / pictures gratefully received!

Last edited by SvenSomerset; Feb 29th, 2016 at 23:30.
SvenSomerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 01:37   #2
SvenSomerset

Okay, I think I've worked out a plan of action for the instrument lighting:

1) Have ordered two new Lucas BA9s 12v 2w bulbs and found a pic of where the two holders are – how easy is it to replace the bulbs when the instrument pod is 'in situ'? Would I just be able to lie across the front seats, with my head under the dash, and change 'em out? Or does the whole instrument pod have to be unbolted from the dash?

2) If that doesn't work, I'll try the 'permanent dimmer bypass' – have ordered some 'piggyback' connectors and will make up a jump lead between 58a and 58b, as described...

Old Mar 1st, 2016, 02:16   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Sven;

Welcome to the Forum!

Wire running between Reversing relay and gearbox switch supplies a chassis connection when Reverse Gear is selected, which in turn powers relay to power Reverse Lights.
To diagnose: Check for Ignition power at terminal 30/51 AND Chassis connection when Reverse is selected. There is no "solenoid" involved. You could simply make a chassis connection to relay terminal 85 (with Ign ON) to test for Relay function. Reference Wiring Diagram: http://www.sw-em.com/122S%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg (This Wiring Diagram shows an Automatic Gearbox, but a wiring on manual is similar.)

Instrument lamps can be removed from combination instrument by gently unsnapping bulb holder at rear. Entire instrument thankfully does not need to be removed for access, but some contortions will be necessary! If Heater Lighting works with Marker Lights, but Variable Instrument lighting does not, Fuse 3 is not suspect, but either Bulbs or Variable control are suspect...you've already found your way to article which covers troubleshooting and options: http://www.sw-em.com/Intermittent_Va...t_Lighting.htm

If vehicle had a Radio with front and rear speaker, the front/rear Turnknob was installed there for audio balance, so a Pullswitch in front of Gearshift might be a dealer or owner installed item. I suggest you follow wires...

Good Hunting!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Mar 1st, 2016 at 02:23.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 08:27   #4
grahamwatson

I have pull switches very similar to the one described, one on either side of the dash close to the doors. They are mounted on the lower edge of the dash so that they pull down to operate. The one on the passenger side turns on a light which illuminates the "glove shelf".

I have not worked out what the one on the driver's side does (or did) - possibly a small parking light (white front, red rear) mounted high up on the external B pillar which has long since stopped working. When I tried to buy a replacement some years ago I was told it was not standard issue and must be after-market.
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 12:36   #5
SvenSomerset

Thanks Ron and Graham!

I'll try Ron's 'jump' fix first, then will be able to see if either of the instrument bulbs have blown. As to the reversing lights, we'll likely get a proper auto electrician to come and have a look – I've got the 'colour' wiring diagram that's around online and will print 'em an A3 version out to refer to... to be honest, the instrument lights are more of an issue at present – my wife has to go see her sister this weekend, and driving around 'speed camera'-heavy Somerset without being able to see what you're doing after dark is tempting fate!

Graham, it's a small, round, horizontally-mounted pull switch marked 'LR', not the parcel shelf light, but thanks for the interest – I'll get the auto electrician to figure out what it is!

Happily, Sven got 'papped' by a guy when we went out on Saturday – he's a friend of my cousin and has rebuilt WW2 vehicles, Jags and Cortinas for years – said he's happy to help us / put us in touch with local folks on the vintage car scene who can do good quality work at a reasonable price... this is a great relief! Just need a few bits sorting (front screen rubber refitting, and front/back screen trims putting on), the reversing lights, and a few blemishes collected since the respray, to get Sven ready for the summer!

The Following User Says Thank You to SvenSomerset For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 13:24   #6
Splinelube

Would appreciate knowing the findings of your mechanic with regards to the light and switch issues. Thanks in advance, Russ
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 14:28   #7
Faust
Master Member

Love those wheels!

Any idea of what make/brand/size they are, and do they fit ok?
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 14:47   #8
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I'm going completely from memory here, so if this information is all wrong please don't set your dog on me.

I seem to remember struggling to get hold of the little bulbs a few years ago when half of my speedo stopped lighting up and it turned out that aircooled VW have the same bulbs - I think.

As well, I seem to remember that they're in the same push in bulb holder thing as a Beetle which were equally as dodgy as the Volvo ones. Luckily, I collected this kind of junk and had a handful in a matchbox. Which is lucky because I've just done a fix job on my old VW bus and was able to select a few that hadn't corroded, but that's a different story.

Anyway, my Volvo's not next to me, so I can't confirm this. But if you do struggle, you might end up getting in touch with VW Heritage who stock it all.

All said, the dim speedo lighting was a knackered bulb. To begin with, it would come back to life by wobbling it in the holder, but eventually the thing stopped working.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 14:50   #9
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
I'm going completely from memory here, so if this information is all wrong please don't set your dog on me.

I seem to remember struggling to get hold of the little bulbs a few years ago when half of my speedo stopped lighting up and it turned out that aircooled VW have the same bulbs - I think.

As well, I seem to remember that they're in the same push in bulb holder thing as a Beetle which were equally as dodgy as the Volvo ones. Luckily, I collected this kind of junk and had a handful in a matchbox. Which is lucky because I've just done a fix job on my old VW bus and was able to select a few that hadn't corroded, but that's a different story.

Anyway, my Volvo's not next to me, so I can't confirm this. But if you do struggle, you might end up getting in touch with VW Heritage who stock it all.

All said, the dim speedo lighting was a knackered bulb. To begin with, it would come back to life by wobbling it in the holder, but eventually the thing stopped working.
Sorry - no such luck. My memory was jogged having googled it. The bulb's the same as a Beetle, but the holder is a different but equally as feeble.

All said, you might have luck by wiggling the bulb in the holder.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 15:26   #10
SvenSomerset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Love those wheels!

Any idea of what make/brand/size they are, and do they fit ok?
They're the stock '64 wheels with extended rims – the fella who originally 'built' the car had 'em done... they're fine at speed, so my missus tells me (I don't drive), but make parking a bit heavy, even at his recommended psi of 35 front and 30 rear... think he lowered the suspension a touch, too:

Hey Splinelube, you'll find a methodical diagnostic / cure for the instrument light issue on Ron's site, here's the specific page: http://www.sw-em.com/Intermittent_Va...t_Lighting.htm

As for the reversing lights issue, as I said, we'll likely get a 'mobile' sparks or a friend who an auto electrician to look at 'em – will let ya know...

I ain't gonna bite yer head off, swedishandgerman, but I think that Ron's earlier post has put me on the right track for fixing it! The bulbs, as per the spec sheet, are pretty easy to find on Ebay – BA9s 12v 2w – think I bought a pair for £2.50, including postage!
The Following User Says Thank You to SvenSomerset For This Useful Post: