Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Fuel Sender Unit

Views : 598

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2023, 10:02   #1
stephan940

Default 940 Fuel Sender Unit

Help! My first post here, I can't get a spare part for my 940, not even with Volvo themselves! My mechanic tells me I need a new Fuel Sender Unit, because my tank is leaking. They gave me the part number I need:

9142 046

They said these newer versions of that part MIGHT work as well but they weren't sure:

9180 932 or 9142 958

Can anyone help me with any of these parts?

Thanks a lot!

Stephan
stephan940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephan940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 19:06   #2
griston64
Premier Member

9142 046 Is no longer available from Volvo so you are going to have to try and source a used one. My be worth giving Volvo Jim in Slamanan a shout

Are you sure it's not the rubber sealing ring that needs replacing ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 19:07   #3
griston64
Premier Member

The other two are also NLA
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 19:24   #4
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan940 View Post
Help! My first post here, I can't get a spare part for my 940, not even with Volvo themselves! My mechanic tells me I need a new Fuel Sender Unit, because my tank is leaking. They gave me the part number I need:

9142 046

They said these newer versions of that part MIGHT work as well but they weren't sure:

9180 932 or 9142 958

Can anyone help me with any of these parts?

Thanks a lot!

Stephan
Hi

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear of your problems with the tank.

I think the first thing is to establish exactly what is needed, as Mark (Griston64) mentioned, the large rubber sealing ring between sender unit / tank could be the actual source of the leak. It doesn't make sense to me (although I'm happy to be corrected) that the tanks leaking, and the fix suggested was to renew the fuel sender unit. I suppose the top section where all the pipes connect to the sender unit could be corroded or broken, I'd suggest asking exactly what the problem is.

I googled the part number 9142046 and Skandix website comes up showing then type that has a in-tank 'lifter' fuel pump along with the actual fuel sender parts.

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-unit/1017901/

I had an issue on picking my 940 2.0 Turbo up a year or so ago, in that the in tank pump was dead, and I managed to source pump and various other parts from RockAuto in the USA, only took a week and pricing was good even with shipping as relatively light weight.

https://www.rockauto.com

I sourced the new tank/sender unit rubber seal from Brookhouse Volvo in Ipswich.

If it is the actual sender unit, then look on eBay for people breaking Volvos, as you may be able to pick one up,

Good luck
Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve 940; Jan 4th, 2023 at 19:26.
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 23:03   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Is your car a intank pump only or also one with a pump under the floor?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 23:08   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

As others havre said, it’s worth finding out exactly where the leak is. Although the fuel senders are NLA the rubber sealing ring and the large, threaded plastic ring that holds the sender in the tank are both available from Volvo. You should also use a new 6” hose clamp on the outside of the plastic sealing ring to stop it working loose.

If the actual sender is broken and beyond repair then a breaker is your best option. If buying remotely then make sure the replacement isn’t badly corroded or broken itself and has been removed with the electrical cable attached back to the plugs. There is one on eBay at the moment which looks a complete wreck so don’t waste your time with it.

It is worth finding out if you have the older, low-pressure lift pump or the later high-pressure single in-tank pump. It might be possible to convert one to the other but you do not want to inadvertently fit the wrong type. If your car is 1994 or earlier it probably has the two-pump setup. Check for the presence or not of an external (high pressure) pump next to the fuel filter underneath the car.

Whilst a bit of a tricky job, it is possible to get the whole thing clean, secure and leak-free in one hit. The tip to pass on to your mechanic is to soak the threaded ring in hot water before trying to reinstall it. It both expands it and lubricates it enabling you to get it tight enough to make a good seal first time without breaking it.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBB3D96A-8A1C-4E65-B66B-3697945F1ED5.jpg (127.6 KB, 7 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: