Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High Mileage V70 D5?

Views : 13357

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 14:37   #11
jimmer111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post

Did you have a look in the engine bay? There are two versions of the D5 engine, the earlier 163bhp EUIII (only badged D5 - big black engine cover) and the later EUIV versions (in two states of tune - 163bhp badged 2.4D and 185bhp badged D5, both with silver-grey cover). At the end of 2004 / beginning of 2005 there were some "odd" combinations of engine and car. Maybe you've got an EUIV engine in the sport (lucky)? That may also account for the lowish mpg, DPF effect. Equally, the dash display lies. On a 2000 mile run to the Alps and back a couple of years ago my dash display told me 42-44mpg (iirc) whereas using the tank brimming method and recording all fill ups gave 40mpg.

Both engines can be remapped if you fancy a bit more go .
I didn't look in the bay on the sport actually as it was tipping down so didn't get a chance to look under the bonet. I am going to have another look at it this week so will investigate.

With regards to the MPG, using your theory, it would be even worse than that shown on the computer, so more of a worry.

Looking at stats, if it is a 185hp engine the fuel consumption should be fairly similar to the 163hp, is this not the case?
jimmer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 14:40   #12
jimmer111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_s13 View Post
You can most definately retro fit isofix brackets. They are available from your Volvo dealer (or check Rufe on here).

Mine has one and I think it was about £25.

My car is on Ebay btw if you're interested???? Item number 320713035105‏.
Thanks for that, i called our local parts guy and got the same info so that is reassuring and also they are very cheap i was quoted £12+Vat each.

With regards to the car, after this weekend i am set on a sport, much prefered the ride to the se. Thanks anyway though.

James
jimmer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 14:45   #13
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

I think I'm right in saying that concensus says the EUIII engine is more economical overall than the EUIV (due to lack of DPF) but I can't comment on the 2.4D vs D5 in EUIV guises.

Also if I'm right, the V70 Sports chassis (Dynamic chassis package?) uses Nivomat self levellers at the rear plus lower and stiffer springs and thicker anti-roll bars than the standard setup. Also the Sports seats are firmer with more side bolster support.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 18:21   #14
Planet_Ovlov

Resurrecting this thread as it’s relevant to me..

A lot of the Euro 3 d5’S I’m looking at are getting to moon miles which I think is ok if the servicing is documented enough.

One I’m looking at is 160k timing belt done at 96k, worth factoring a new one in at this mileage or would they run the course to 180k? Unless the gearbox oil is recorded as changed , not a service item? Then factor that in? Or, if after a hot test drive and it’s still smooth up down then leave it be?

I get it that things will be well worn at this age, just trying to Stradivari the parts that might break rather than just be worn.
Planet_Ovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 17:41   #15
Danhere

Its the serpentine/auxillary belt and/or pulleys that often seem to go before the timing belt.
Throwing themselves into the timing belt and causing the same head damage.

And there is some disscussion about the original water pump being quite long lasting but often being replaced unnessecarlily with an inferior one, that then causeing failure.
I have no expereince with the D5, just what I have read surfing through the forums.

(Im looking at a euro 4 D5 with 215k on it and im pretty sure the belts have only been done once. I will be looking to replace belts and pump etc with original volvo asap)

Last edited by Danhere; May 10th, 2019 at 17:54.
Danhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 19:43   #16
Packard999

My v70 runs like a dream, it is an oldie but goldie !
Packard999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 21:05   #17
Nick45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet_Ovlov View Post
Resurrecting this thread as it’s relevant to me..

A lot of the Euro 3 d5’S I’m looking at are getting to moon miles which I think is ok if the servicing is documented enough.

One I’m looking at is 160k timing belt done at 96k, worth factoring a new one in at this mileage or would they run the course to 180k? Unless the gearbox oil is recorded as changed , not a service item? Then factor that in? Or, if after a hot test drive and it’s still smooth up down then leave it be?

I get it that things will be well worn at this age, just trying to Stradivari the parts that might break rather than just be worn.
Timing belt interval is 96k or 10 years so I would leave be as there'll be other things to spend the pennies on, I'm sure.

My Volvo indy is a bit of a heretic and says again and again not to mess with the ATF if the box is good as it just dislodges crap and causes issues. I know he'd get stoned for saying that round here but he's absolutely insistent and said he wouldn't do mine if I asked him! My box is on 215k and smooth as silk btw.
Nick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 22:04   #18
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick45 View Post
Timing belt interval is 96k or 10 years so I would leave be as there'll be other things to spend the pennies on, I'm sure.

My Volvo indy is a bit of a heretic and says again and again not to mess with the ATF if the box is good as it just dislodges crap and causes issues. I know he'd get stoned for saying that round here but he's absolutely insistent and said he wouldn't do mine if I asked him! My box is on 215k and smooth as silk btw.
I took the oil out of the utobpx on my then 75k 90 and it was black and finished.

I would change the oil if it were me.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 22:28   #19
jim jordan

my old faithfull 2002 d5 just hit 231,000 and runs like a dream,best tip i can give change oil regular mine gets done every 5,000 genuine volvo oil,emmisons on mot are near 0 if only my car tax bill was lol
jim jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jim jordan For This Useful Post: