Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How 2 Reverse When Space is Limited

Views : 1005

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 18:21   #11
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
The other good bit SnineT has cottoned on to is using the exterior mirrors, another habit I picked up from truck driving, as it gives you a view down the side of the vehicle and allows you to see what clearance you have and where it's aimed at, obviously in a truck there's no rear windows to look out of but in many modern cars the view out of the rear and side windows is close to worthless for use when reversing too.
Good tip about the mirrors. I learned to do it when driving a Tranny flatbed to help out a friend. Soooo useful. I've tried to persuade my wife to use it, but to no avail.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 19:00   #12
ITSv40
VOC Member

My wife!s father used to drive gritter lorries and he taught her to reverse using the mirrors when she first started driving. Once taught it becomes second nature.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 02:04   #13
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I have one other note to make, as my garage is limited to a standard door and I end up having to / it in slightly then once the front is in swing it back _ I-I_ effectively which leaves the car sort of a couple of inches behind one upright of the door I then have to allow for that coming out which has to be precise so I don't end up hitting the other upright on the other side, if I don't do this getting out is no longer an option as I'm no racing snake anymore

I also find I have to in addition to the mirrors lean out a bit to watch my wing doesn't scrape the upright going in, it's easily done and the Insignia got one when I first got her resulting in a small crease near where the wing arch met the bumper, I got away with it twice where I had no crease and the paint buffed back up, it took me a while to realise I was smooching it on the way in not on the way out,

It's funny as we age, 20 years ago I could throw an Omega in there automatically, I actually used to call it my garageyard challenge where I'd see how quick and in one go I could park in, almost like Trucks & Trailers on the PC (great game btw) as times gone by the cars appear wider and I have to take more care, I was lent an Ibiza a few weeks ago and I struggled with that mainly as it wasn't my car and it had a £500 excess hanging over it, it was actually harder to park than the S90 is, mirrors aren't what they used to be and the blind spot factor where they put a curve in the glass plays havoc with real positioning imo hence the tip to pull the glass inwards when backing up as it negates the effect, hth.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 14:08   #14
alcashj94

I've got an old mattress against the end wall of my garage, if I squeeze up against that I know the up and over door will come down without hitting the car, no guesswork required!
Doesn't help with opening the car door to get out though!
alcashj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alcashj94 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 14:26   #15
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

A sleeper system eh
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post: