Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS/TRACS Fault

Views : 1094

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2022, 04:51   #21
RollOn

Re: Luxobargethe: "usual dry solder joints in the ABS ECU" - Yes!!
ABS Module/Control Unit: 4 years ago I re-soldered the 2 big/main posts (to power connector). This immediately fixed the ABS fault. This week, I again received multiple fault codes for open circuit wheel sensors and ABS pump fault. So, I wasted much time swapping wheel sensors without luck. Initially, I was convinced that the ABS Module/Control Unit (ECU) was no longer the problem. As a last resort, I properly de-soldered and then re-soldered all the smaller solder joints (inside the ABS control module). This again immediately removed all ABS fault codes.
Note: Dry joints (solder) only occur where the pins (for external wiring harness) are connected to the circuit board. (no other part of the board has problems) Every Volvo of this model has/will eventually have this ABS problem. Caused by faulty manufacture, “Made in Philippines”. Do not waste time on anything else until you have properly repaired the ABS ECU. (If properly de-soldered and re-soldered it should never again cause problems).
See Tutorial: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...f6426ea4060a29
RollOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollOn For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 08:56   #22
Luxobarge
Premier Member

As above. I re-soldered mine, and the fault disappeared for a few weeks. Then it came back, and was worse than ever. I delved around down by the plug again, and re-seated the little two-wire plug that carries the power to the ABS ECU, it seemed a little loose and not fully "home". Not a single problem since, and that was months ago.

Just thought I'd mention it, because a bad contact on this plug will give very similar symptoms to a dry solder joint, and it's very frustrating to get the problem back when you've gone to all the trouble of doing the soldering job!