Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parts polishing on the cheap!!

Views : 1132

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 16:41   #1
PenR

Default Parts polishing on the cheap!!

Afternoon all
Bloody raining again so in the garage.
I was doing a bit of foreward planning and realised that I needed quite a few parts in the engine bay and all of the chrome trim needed refurbing.
As luck would have it I was watching the Wheeler Dealers episode in which Edd restores a Frogye. In it Wide Boy Mike takes some alloy parts to a metal refinishing expert who uses a technique called Linishing to refurb the parts at a cost of £100 for 6 pieces of metal. I vaguely knew of this technique but never investigated. Solvol has always served me well.
I was skulking about on ebay and put in metal polishing and came across a dirt cheap kit for £7 plus postage. I bought one more as an experiment than anything else.
It uses the same technique as the bloke on the telly except that you mount the wheel(s) on an elctric drill and clamp that in a vice.
Imagine my surprise when I saw results!
The tired number plate took me half an hour and then only cos I wanted to do the edges. Amazing dinish and thats just the coarse compound (there are two finer ones in the kit)
My carbs were very dull and I'd had a go with Solvol - not really an improvement though. I am not looking for a chrome type finish just clean and a little bit shiny - I am not building a show pony type of car, just nice. Half an hour each pot and I was well satisfied.
Bonnet trim was next and I am going to town on this as its scratched and pitted but they are coming out.
So for seven quid I am that far in front I am amazed and I don't amaze easily.
Here are some pics inc one of the kit
Cheers for now
PenR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqFHJDEFBEQ)k!I+BQ,vf28lWQ~~60_3.jpg (104.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (230.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (217.3 KB, 94 views)
PenR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PenR For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 18:18   #2
pookie
Premier Member

Can't P.M. you. How can I get in touch?

Salut!

Pookie
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 19:05   #3
PenR

Pookie
I'm on pen.roberts@ntlworld.com
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 19:37   #4
marct1980

wow!!

that might be the best £7 ever spent!
marct1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 15:10   #5
saintcar

Very useful information. Does it create much mess? Is there a lot of muck flying around as you polish the items?
saintcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 22:19   #6
Tail
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintcar View Post
Very useful information. Does it create much mess? Is there a lot of muck flying around as you polish the items?
Don't have the small kit but i got a bench mounted one some years ago for polishing motorbike casings and it does fling a bit of the compound around, enough to get you a nice crusty stripe up the front of your overalls.
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 23:59   #7
PenR

Well actually no - not in my case anyway. I used the technique that the bloke on the telly used. What I do is set the wheel running and hold the compound to it for about 2 seconds. This is what the bloke did and he had no mess either. Any excess you just wipe off as its a sort of waxy residue. The secret of success appears to be to do a bit at a time and you can see when the compound is not cutting/polishing and then its another 2 seconds worth of application.
I have done some further investigation and I'm actually making work for myself as what I need is a more abrasive wheel (sisal) for about four quid and a bar of black or brown compound both off ebay which is apparently the gear to shift deeper scratches and stuff. It seems to cut a lot quicker so I can save some time which is not terrifically important but you see results a lot quicker.
More experimentation to follow
Cheers all
PenR