Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Servicing - Who can you trust?

Views : 2794

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2012, 15:08   #1
rasputin

Default Servicing - Who can you trust?

I have an '08' V50 D5 Geartronic with 54k miles on the clock, I bought it from a local independent dealer when the car was 2 years old and having covered 16k miles.

The dealer had the car serviced by a local indendent Volvo specilaist the day before I collected it. When I got the car home and checked it over it and found that the tyres all had different pressures ranging between 25psi and 36 psi. Not surpisingly this gave me no confidence in the quality of the service and I vowed to get it serviced elsewhere and for the last two services I have taken the car to an indendent volvo specilaist further afield.

Fast forward to this year and when the car was serviced last month I was 'advised' that the rear suspension droplinks should be changed as they were on the way out, not yet bad enough to fail an MOT but most likley would be an advisory. I chose not to have them changed as money is a little bit tight at minute.

Couple of weeks ago the car went to Volvo maindealer for a recall, as usual they also took the oppertunity to inspect the car and look for some business. No mention of the droplinks at all but the offside anti roll bar link 'has play' in it, again not an MOT failure but probably an advisory, can they go ahead and change it for me, again the answer was no - still short of cash.

The only thing the two agreed on was that the rear brake pads were 90% worn, main dealer quoted £160, the idependant specilist£113 - got them done at kwikfit for £75 with a lifetime guarantee on the pads (should have been about £95 but I had a 20% discount voucher)

Anyway I had the car MOT'd last week and it had a clean pass, no advisory's at all, no mention of droplinks or anti roll barlinks.

I find the whole business of trying to find somewhere who can service the car properly and give me accurate and honest information on the cars condition very frustrating.

Just wanted to vent on the subject is all
rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 16:09   #2
froggyted
Master Member

I get my car serviced and MOT'd at MRG Volvo, Chippenham - very honest and reliable.

I once took an old Capri for three separate MOTs. Each garage failed it on different things with almost no common ground. I went for the cheapest quote and still saved money despite the extra two MOT fees! That was towards the end of the car's life. I had it 12 years, and shortly after i bought it i went in for a tyre service, and the guy beckoned me to look at a shock and said it would fail the MOT. It never failed the MOT on the shocks in the entire 12 years!! Again, towards the end of its life i had some brake shoes replaced and when i came to collect it, it was still on the ramps, and the guy showed me 'leaking' brake cylnders and said they would leak all over the new shoes. Being tight for money i declined and decided to keep an eye on them. Now i was no novice, i'd replaced the shoes myself several times: i removed the wheels occasionally and never saw signs of leakage - they had obviously smeared brake fluid on them to fool me. Beware of the cowboys, if you find a garage you can trust, stick with them. That's why i'd rather pay the extra and use a main dealer. Also, a lot of non-OEM parts don't fit precisely, causing mechanical problems, to say nothing of a shorter service life. Btw i've never used Kwik Fit since they fitted a back-box on that same Capri that never even lasted the year - the replacement fitted under the guarantee failed to last the following year.

Last edited by froggyted; Mar 24th, 2012 at 17:27. Reason: 'OEM parts' should have read 'non-OEM parts'.
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 16:37   #3
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
I find the whole business of trying to find somewhere who can service the car properly and give me accurate and honest information on the cars condition very frustrating.

Just wanted to vent on the subject is all
Short answer is absolutely nobody !

I've used the same small garage for many years - even thought of the proprietor as a personal friend. However, a couple of years ago he announced that the discs on one of my cars was badly warped and had to be replaced so I paid for that job to be done. A couple of months later he said exactly the same about another of my cars. Meanwhile, I'd SORNed the first car a couple of weeks after its MOT but decided that I wanted to MOT it again the following year. Imagine my surprise on learning that the 'new' (??) set of discs had also warped after approx 400 miles of use ! I didn't have the job done but took it home, inspected brakes but found no obvious fault then took it elsewhere for a test. Passed with no mention of brake problems. Passed again following year.

No longer think of first garage's proprietor as a personal friend. !
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 17:21   #4
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMe View Post
Short answer is absolutely nobody !

I've used the same small garage for many years - even thought of the proprietor as a personal friend. However, a couple of years ago he announced that the discs on one of my cars was badly warped and had to be replaced so I paid for that job to be done. A couple of months later he said exactly the same about another of my cars. Meanwhile, I'd SORNed the first car a couple of weeks after its MOT but decided that I wanted to MOT it again the following year. Imagine my surprise on learning that the 'new' (??) set of discs had also warped after approx 400 miles of use ! I didn't have the job done but took it home, inspected brakes but found no obvious fault then took it elsewhere for a test. Passed with no mention of brake problems. Passed again following year.

No longer think of first garage's proprietor as a personal friend. !
Why not report him to Trading Standards or Watchdog? Firms like that should be shut down.

Btw, i've never had brake discs warp in 30 years of driving, and i doubt very much that Volvo ones would!
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 17:34   #5
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
Why not report him to Trading Standards or Watchdog? Firms like that should be shut down.

Btw, i've never had brake discs warp in 30 years of driving, and i doubt very much that Volvo ones would!
I guess there's still an outside chance that he might have been right and subsequent testers sloppy. Walking away seemed much easier.

Neither car was a Volvo. First was a Polo. Second a C-max (so probably same discs as a Volvo). I thought a disc warping was pretty unusual the first time - but trusted my 'mate'. Deeply suspicious second time and downright disbelieving third.

On the whole, I'm strongly in favour of MOTs. Done properly they'll take at least half an hour and a whole host of safety-related components should get a thorough check. Try costing that at Volvo main dealer rates and see how much change you get out of £40 !

Last edited by EricMe; Mar 24th, 2012 at 17:37.
EricMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 17:41   #6
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMe View Post
I guess there's still an outside chance that he might have been right and subsequent testers sloppy. Walking away seemed much easier.

Neither car was a Volvo. First was a Polo. Second a C-max (so probably same discs as a Volvo). I thought a disc warping was pretty unusual the first time - but trusted my 'mate'. Deeply suspicious second time and downright disbelieving third.

On the whole, I'm strongly in favour of MOTs. Done properly they'll take at least half an hour and a whole host of safety-related components should get a thorough check. Try costing that at Volvo main dealer rates and see how much change you get out of £40 !
None - i probably paid about £54 for the last MOT. But then, i'd rather pay the extra and know that what they're telling me is the truth. It probably works out much cheaper for me in the long run! A lot of cheap MOT garages are just trying to lure you in to find work to do on your car.

Last edited by froggyted; Mar 24th, 2012 at 17:44.
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 18:50   #7
feemackenzie

Currently trusting a new start guy (East End Volvo) in Glasgow after having issues at another indy garage (always too busy or running late with work).

So far fully recommended - the bonus is the guy Paul, is time served in the local Volvo main dealers so has the knowledge.
feemackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 19:27   #8
kebab10
Premier Member

I trust few people and garage wise, no one. As for warped discs, in 36 years of driving all manner of cars; not one warped disc EVER. Must be an urban myth.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kebab10 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 20:14   #9
v40bart
Master Member

I trust no one - I do all the work myself.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 20:41   #10
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Only one person i would personally trust with any of my cars, that is Tim Williams in Coleville.