Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is the best way to re-fix the grille near the wipers?

Views : 492

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2024, 06:50   #1
volvojj

Default What is the best way to re-fix the grille near the wipers?

Hello everybody,

A loose grille which is de-attached from the access panel near the wipers it seems is a common problem on Volvo 940/740.

I have a similar problem on my 940 and I suspect that as a result of the fallen grille, excess leafs and other dirt accumulates under the panel. I have attached a link to a video that I have found on internet on how to clean this area (and how to remove the access panel).

My question is what is the best (and safest way) to re-attach the grill to the access panel (see picture attached), without damaging anything? Is it:
- welding - and where to weld without destroying paint or something else?
- glue - how and what type of glue?
- Is there any other way that you would suggest to fix the grill on the panel?

Finally - yesterday I have removed the wipers and the three bolts of the access panel. Today I am planing to remove the access panel and clean the leafs under the panel, but from what I could see the panel was strongly attached and could not be easily removed. In the video above it says "this is where it gets bit hairy" and the guy struggles to remove it.
Do you have any suggestions how to approach this problem and how to remove the panel? Is there any drawing that would show how the panel is attached (from the Volvo manuals)? I really don't want to brake anything and make a bigger problem.

Kind regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grille1.jpg (208.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by volvojj; Jun 14th, 2024 at 06:53.
volvojj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvojj For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 08:40   #2
Ian Fife

On my 1991 945 that grill is attached to the underside of the panel by thick black mastic. I think it was like that from the factory. You can get super strong auto adhesives these days, you want something with a consistency like putty.

Ian F
Ian Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Fife For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 09:18   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I don't have that particular model Volvo but the video shows plastic clips (under the windscreen) that allow the panel/grill to be pulled away once the forward fasteners are removed.
Done this way it is a removable & serviceable item.

Welding or a permanent/difficult to remove adhesive would not be suitable.
Replacement clips or something modified would be the better option.

If you need to use a type of mastic then a removable one would be worth looking at: Screen Seal is a decent product -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221933629...Bk9SR_Do6tyCZA

Double sided tape could be another depending on location, either way I would have future access in mind.
Copper grease on the wiper threads/nuts will make the next removal a lot easier.

Hope it helps.
Bob.

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Jun 14th, 2024 at 09:21.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 10:23   #4
Ian Fife

Bob is correct - the front edge of the panel fits under clips at the windscreen base. Remove gently!
The grill in the panel is stuck on with mastic on my 945.

Ian F
Ian Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Fife For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 13:10   #5
bob12
bob12

I had to fix this on my '90 745 some years ago and memories fade but, I seem to recall it's relatively simple once you have removed the wiper arms. Opening the bonnet to its vertical position when needed assists GREATLY.

1. Undo 3? small 10mm? screw bolts across the lower lip of the panel inside the engine bay. Do NOT remove the weather seal that fits across the entire width of the panel it is not necessary and fitting it back is a REAL pain in the butt.

2. The panel across the windscreen clips into plastic clips AND the panel at its sides at the windscreen end is attached to the metal of the wings by a single metal 'latch' type clip that slots into a cut-out on each side of the panel so allowing the panel to be moved both backwards and upwards.

3. When ready draw the panel backwards slightly (to unclip it from the windscreen plastic clips) and tilt it upwards and wiggle it off the side metal protrusions on the wing.

Sorry if this is a little unclear but as said the memory fades but, it is not difficult to do once you start.

Bob

P.S. As said above the grille is factory fixed with some sort of mastic that eventually fails. New mastic is the answer as suggested ^^^ or something like JB Weld or Milliput.

Last edited by bob12; Jun 14th, 2024 at 13:23.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 16:28   #6
volvojj

Default New videos and tips for the removing the "cowl screen/panel"

Thank you all (Bob M, Ian F, and Bob12) for your replies. You have provided valuable information and advice.

1. During the day I have purchased the following:
- black mastic
- double sided tape
- copper grease

As per Bob M's advice I will go for flexible solution (mastic/double sided tape) and not permanent (welding/epoxy glue), when re-attaching the grille to the panel.

2. Thank you for pointing out the clips at the windscreen base. I have not noticed them, so now I will be more careful when trying to loosen the panel.

3. Because I am still afraid that removing the panel will be tricky, I tried to find additional information on the internet (videos and tips) and I came across the following:
i. www.youtube.com/watch?v=B51rVXdgcd8 - (looks easy, but many clips were missing
ii. www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcQypmOLQ_o - (a bit longer video with clear view on the clips (at 5:25), potential problems with damaging the rubber (at 6:30) and gluing with epoxy/gorilla (at 12:50); but unfortunately the video does not show the actual removal of the panel).
iii. I came across the following advice on this website on how to remove the panel. Actually the correct technical keywords for the panel is "cowl screen" and it will give additional results if you use this keyword when googling on this topic.
iv. Also below is picture with diagram of the cowl screen. Does anyone know where is the cowl section in the volvo green manual website?

Finally I have a question for @ Bob12: What do you mean when you say - "Do NOT remove the weather seal that fits across the entire width of the panel it is not necessary and fitting it back is a REAL pain"
- Do you mean do not remove it from the clips? - do you mean the rubber on the second video above (at 6:30)?

Again thanks everybody, I will let you know how it goes. Until then I am "gathering the courage to do it"

Kind regards
Attached Images
File Type: png cowl1diagram.png (10.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by volvojj; Jun 14th, 2024 at 16:31.
volvojj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 19:49   #7
bob12
bob12

I have just been out and taken some photos of the panel as it is not fixed down on my old breaker. Hopefully they might be useful to you.

There are actually 2 rubber seals attached to the botton lip of the panel at the engine bay end. The long thick bonnet seal and a separate lower one. Don't remove either (or for that matter the 3rd the windscreen seal) as they are all attached to the panel and do not prevent removal of the panel.

Hopefully all the photos will attach but Win 11 have changed the old way of quickly reducing the size of photos to allow quick posting on this site.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240614_190638 1R.jpg (398.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20240614_190621 2R.jpg (395.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20240614_190628 3R.jpg (270.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20240614_190429 4R.jpg (293.9 KB, 14 views)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 22:53   #8
940volvoman
Master Member

I have used very small cable ties.I have had to replace them once only. Its is fiddly,but clean and simple.
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 11:28   #9
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
I have used very small cable ties.I have had to replace them once only. Its is fiddly,but clean and simple.
I did this as a temporary measure which lasted many years. Then, when I had to remove a wing to replace it due to rust, I took the opportunity to remove the old dumdum-like mastic and re-stick with black Tigerseal PU adhesive. This is lasting well too.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 19:56   #10
TonyS9
Premier Member

I just used black silicon, worked fine.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote