Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blooming Speeding Ticket!!!!

Views : 2197

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2015, 07:43   #1
Mr R Design

Default Blooming Speeding Ticket!!!!

I have just had my first one since 1989.

39 in a 30 on a country lane that changed from a 40 to a 30 which I did notice but about 10 seconds to late so fair cop I suppose.

I am tempted to go on the speed awareness course as at least I might get something in return for the my money. Has anyone been on one, what are they like?

Also I still have the old paper license and daft as it seems it has sentimental value. Does anyone know if I will have to change this to a photo one if I just decide to go for the points?

I have even been thinking of getting in touch with that Solicitor who gets all the football players off their driving offences but shall probably pass on this.
Mr R Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 08:02   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

I've not done the Speed Awareness Course but I know people who have. The general consensus is, that if you go with an open mind, there is actually interesting stuff that you'll learn.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 08:03   #3
kwk

Your licence will change when points are added as they no longer issue paper licences.
The solicitor won't get all the celebrities off. If they were able to do that, the lot of them would be speeding around everywhere. There are certain defences open to everybody in certain circumstances. I do know, I worked within the system long enough.
kwk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwk For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 08:24   #4
Mr R Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
I've not done the Speed Awareness Course but I know people who have. The general consensus is, that if you go with an open mind, there is actually interesting stuff that you'll learn.
At the moment I am tempted to go with this then. Like I said at least I may get something in return for my money.
Mr R Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 09:06   #5
Bungo
Premier Member

Just been on one and I have to say I did learn some usefull stuff.
The only issue is that I did it to keep insurance premium down but at the end of the course they tell you that some insurance companies still ask you if you have attended a course and so your premium can still increase.
Funny story. At the end when trainer asked what people had learned one girl stated that she was only speeding because she wasn't concentrating as she was on her phone. She had learnt to watch her speedo when she's on her phone, (she wasn't joking).
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 09:21   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I am fortunate in having attended a couple of these courses - clearly they work well

Seriously the first one run by Hampshire was appalling, so bad that I complained to the Chief Constable as the lecturer was trying to make everyone feel like criminals and kept trying to imply that he was a policeman rather than a Police employee - a frustrated policeman probably described him best. What was even worse is that his knowledge of driving was very out of date and he didn't even know why ABS was created or what the actual purpose of it is!

The second was run by the AA for Surrey and was much better, so much so that I would heartily recommend it - even to the point of suggesting that people attend voluntarily and don't wait for a speeding ticket forcing them to attend it.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 09:25   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

I used to work at a Business Park in Manchester which hosted the courses in the Boardrooms. Those were all staffed by driving instructers/examiners. They seemed to speak a lot of sense and I had some good chats with them as they waited for attendees to arrive. You could also generally spot about 75% of the attendees as the driving standard was so poor!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 09:41   #8
Bungo
Premier Member

Trainer was nice fella, apologised to all those who were there due to police monthly quota, rather than irresponsible drivers.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 10:40   #9
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Pay the money, go on the course, avoid the points. No brainer.

I suspect enough of us know people who have been on these courses so that we know the content but frankly if it keeps points off your licence then it is money well spent. Hopefully you get something out of it. If not just suck it up and take your medicine, no matter how bitter.

The celeb lawyer. Horrible man earning a fortune getting genuinely guilty people off on technicalities. His bill will probably add a zero on the end of the fine figure. He is rich enough, don't add to his fortune.
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 11:00   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
The second was run by the AA for Surrey and was much better, so much so that I would heartily recommend it - even to the point of suggesting that people attend voluntarily and don't wait for a speeding ticket forcing them to attend it.
I have asked the relevant authorities if I might do this and the answer was 'no'! I also pointed out that as I was quite prepared to pay the going rate as well, it would generate revenue for them too, but the answer was still 'no'!