Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vibrations on idle

Views : 1318

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2023, 17:38   #1
FictiveS

Default Vibrations on idle

So I’m having vibrations on idle that I can feel through the seat and steering wheel. It is sometimes noticeable and sometime not so. I have replaced the DMF, injectors, all 3 engine mounts, checked the vacuum hoses and replaced the left hose going from the intercooler to the TB. I have also disconnected and blocked the EGR. I have VIDA and there are no codes. The car gets good fuel consumption (around 5L/100km), it doesn’t burn oil or consumes coolant. I did a filter change and oil change. All of this did bring the vibrations down quite a bit but it is still there. Now, I kind of believe that this is something to do with the boost. For example a shut down will produce shudder if I have used the turbo. If I drive with 2000 rpm shifts it does shudder a lot less and sometimes not at all. I checked the 3 vacuum valves and switched them around so they work. The one on the right when facing the engine does buzz and even switching them around will always start buzzing hard. Any ideas? Oh and the car is 2007 Volvo C30 2.0d.

Last edited by FictiveS; May 28th, 2023 at 18:01.
FictiveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 16:44   #2
FictiveS

After going back and forth with a few mechanics, I decided to figure it out myself. The main hydro mount looks perfectly fine, but it is actually a POS. It was installed a year or so ago by one mechanic who charged me like he was installing a premium part. It is some Chinese brand called original imperial or something stupid like that. I bought a new one from Febi, installed it myself and it is a completely different car. Now when idling, it is perfectly still.

physically both parts look quite similar, but when you push the upper membrane on the Chinese part it is quite a bit softer than Febi's.
FictiveS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FictiveS For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 09:15   #3
StefanC30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictiveS View Post
After going back and forth with a few mechanics, I decided to figure it out myself. The main hydro mount looks perfectly fine, but it is actually a POS. It was installed a year or so ago by one mechanic who charged me like he was installing a premium part. It is some Chinese brand called original imperial or something stupid like that. I bought a new one from Febi, installed it myself and it is a completely different car. Now when idling, it is perfectly still.

physically both parts look quite similar, but when you push the upper membrane on the Chinese part it is quite a bit softer than Febi's.
Same for me I had really rough vibrations on idle and I have installed a new mount from Febi and it’s like a new car.
StefanC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 09:31   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

Had the same with engine mount/s and also a gearbox torque mount on a V70.

Resolved by fitting Volvo OE. Personally I would, and now do, always use OE parts in these areas.

Handbrake shoes is another area. New pattern parts from go to motor factors (ECP, GSF) were hopeless, again resolved by fitting Volvo OE parts.
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 10:47   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictiveS View Post

Always use genuine Volvo parts ! I cant understand why people are reluctant to, you get what you pay for I have learned in my 47 year experience.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 16:58   #6
Acuity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Always use genuine Volvo parts ! I cant understand why people are reluctant to, you get what you pay for I have learned in my 47 year experience.
Tbf most of the time Volvo parts are just rebadged Ford parts. Ford duratec engine mounts would be no lesser quality than Volvo rebadged ones. Unless it's some bespoke part that needs coding with VIDA there's no point getting the Volvo branded version of a Ford part.
Acuity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 17:16   #7
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuity30 View Post
Tbf most of the time Volvo parts are just rebadged Ford parts. Ford duratec engine mounts would be no lesser quality than Volvo rebadged ones. Unless it's some bespoke part that needs coding with VIDA there's no point getting the Volvo branded version of a Ford part.
The danger can be that after fitting other than OE, (I guess a Ford alternative could be ok? Specifically engine vacuum mounts in this case) it just might all have to be done again.

Remaining vibration after fitting a pattern or other part might lead to further misled fault chasing elsewhere, ultimately resulting in a form of madness ! Is it really worth it in this instance just to save a few quid? OE once fitted likely good for another 100,000 miles plus, possibly seeing either the car, the owner, or both out!
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 22:04   #8
Acuity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
The danger can be that after fitting other than OE, (I guess a Ford alternative could be ok? Specifically engine vacuum mounts in this case) it just might all have to be done again.

Remaining vibration after fitting a pattern or other part might lead to further misled fault chasing elsewhere, ultimately resulting in a form of madness ! Is it really worth it in this instance just to save a few quid? OE once fitted likely good for another 100,000 miles plus, possibly seeing either the car, the owner, or both out!
The Ford alternative isn't an alternative, it's the same part with different badges on it. It's not even Volvo's engine, why would they create an entirely new assembly line to build identical parts to what is already mass produced by Ford?
Acuity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 22:04   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post

Exactly, and volvo do not use ford parts they specify their own specifications for the part just like they always have. Each make of car has it's own vibration frequencies etc which have to be damped out .
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 22:09   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuity30 View Post
The Ford alternative isn't an alternative, it's the same part with different badges on it. It's not even Volvo's engine, why would they create an entirely new assembly line to build identical parts to what is already mass produced by Ford?
volvo already has heater parts and other parts with "Ford" on them they have "volvo" on their mounts and Ford have Ford on their mounts, they have different damping characteristics. or the ones volvo use would have Ford on them. I have no idea how long they last on Fords , but volvo ones rarely give trouble.