Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it worth it?

Views : 2223

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 21:57   #11
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
If I were interested in a 960, which I'm not I'd want (a) the 3 litre (which that is) (b) a manual (which that isn't - but 3 litre manuals are VERY rare) and (c) an estate (which that isn't).
Funny, but it's very much a matter of personal taste. I certainly would want the 3-litre, but I'm a long-time automatic driver, and quite frankly, would probably wreck a three-pedal offering in short order!

When I borrowed a manual car from work, at the end of a miserable 50 mile journey, with many many kangaroo starts, there was an ominous smell of burning from the gearbox! I've driven over half a million miles in automatic cars, and I'd not want to change! Why the chuff does a bl@@dy Vauxhall Vector need six bl@@dy gears anyway? Make that seven if you include the one to make it go backwards!

As for the estate bit, well I've already got a monster-miler V70 that is totally wonderful. The idea of an S90 or 964 would be as a forever keeper, for high days and holidays. The V70 would continue to do service as my working car.

Ultimately, when my V70 is no longer needed or dies, I'd probably have the LPG system moved across to the saloon. That's why a lowish-mileage saloon appeals.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 17:24   #12
capt jack
VOC Member

Thumbs down Is it worth it?

No.

Jack
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 17:49   #13
space

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
No.

Jack
Did you go and look?
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 18:27   #14
capt jack
VOC Member

Yes, I called by today - I'd been working up in Teesside.

To be fair to Huttons, the ad is factually correct. The very high price would suggest that the car is exceptional, and the photographs do give the impression of a very smart car. A dealer's job is to present his wares in as advantageous a manner as is legally proper, and Huttons have done this.

As with any second-hand car you can never really know until you see it first hand. The old 'caveat emptor' is the thing. I know what I'm looking to buy, and after viewing, I feel that this car doesn't meet my personal requirements.

As I've no interest in buying the car I can't really comment further. What I will say is that Huttons made a very prompt and courteous response to my enquiry, and gave me a very polite welcome when I visited today. In this they cannot be faulted, and I would certainly visit again should another of their cars catch my eye.

Cheers

Jack
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:27   #15
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Good that you went to see it.

I reckon somebody WILL get a good deal here, because let's face it, that's an awful lot of luxury car for the money when you compare it with the modern rubbish that's out there. Really, it's cheap when you take the whole thing into account. A lot of quality engineering there for the money.

With a low mileage and decent service history etc etc, it could well be a very very good buy. You could buy cheaper, but you may not buy as good as this one, and just one bill for a few hundred quid for a clutch or something, soon after buying and finding faults with the cheaper one (we've all been there)....can quickly make you wish you'd spent the smart money elsewhere.

That car will still be driving around for many years to come, and for the money, it could be money well spent. A bit pricey, Yes.....but it depends how much car you realistically expect to get for only a shade over Two and a Half large, and KNOW that it's going to be as reliable as an older Volvo.

There's certainly an awful lot of other cheap cars for that sort of money, but this is a top spec Volvo!!

Realistically, if you want an older Volvo in absolute top condition, then you're not going to get one for peanuts. And let's be fair to the garage, as I said before. They do have to make some profit turnover on it.

The ONLY thing that would put me off it, and it WOULD totally put me off, is the fact that it's a 6 cylinder car. But if it was nearer, and I was tempted........and had the space to store it.....just for special occasions........which is what you are talking about using it for.........!

Been there, had a V12, V8 and quite a few V6's.............but standing at the pump every few days to feed a 6 cylinder car, just to watch the gauge plumetting every time you use it.....is a soul destroying experience.

Fuel costs have killed cars like this.....unless you are fortunate enough to not be bothered about the cost of fuel?

But that will make a lovely car for somebody.

Last edited by Oilydad; Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:36.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 12:57   #16
Chrali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilydad View Post
Been there, had a V12, V8 and quite a few V6's.............but standing at the pump every few days to feed a 6 cylinder car, just to watch the gauge plumetting every time you use it.....is a soul destroying experience.
Too true mate, too true.

I've been forced into a 2.3 LPT auto for its economy
Chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrali For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 22:15   #17
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Do you know this car?

Well an update.

The blue Huttons car is out of the running, but today I managed a flying visit to Nicholas Fletcher Volvo in Derbyshire as I was travelling down the M1 to London

Some lovely Volvos on display, including this one

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehi...3167285_1a.jpg

I didn't really have long enough for a thorough look, but what I did see was highly impressive! Beautiful car very well presented.

Apparently previously a VOC member's car. Anyone know it? PM appeciated if you do!

The only thing that I could see were that the wiper arms fouled on the rear edge of the bonnet when the bonnet was raised, and that the wiper arms were a bit 'floppy' at park. Is this a common 960 issue? Otherwise a stunning car, and a very friendly and helpful sales guy.

Having a think about this one - it could be serious!

Cheers

Jack
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 11:29   #18
jeff.warner
VOC Member

Hi.
That looks really good.

96 850 GLT 2.5ltr.20V Estate Auto.
94 960 3ltr. C.D. Estate Auto.
740 GLE Estate Man.
740 GL Estate Man.
240 GLE Estate Man.
jeff.warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 13:52   #19
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Well an update.

Some lovely Volvos on display, including this one

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehi...3167285_1a.jpg

I didn't really have long enough for a thorough look, but what I did see was highly impressive! Beautiful car very well presented.

Having a think about this one - it could be serious!

Cheers

Jack
That looks lovely and the price is fair. BUY IT!

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 16:34   #20
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Better looking bet that Jack.