Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2016 V40 T3 Dead

Views : 794

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2023, 02:30   #1
ozv40

Question 2016 V40 T3 Dead

Completely dead apart from the Batteries and Infotainment System.

After a trouble free 400km drive the car was parked in the garage overnight. Woke up to find it completely unresponsive apart from the Infotainment system! No prior issues over the past 2 years of ownership.

-Main Battery 12.8V
-Aux Battery 12.7V
-No ignition, no dash lights, no interior or glove box lights, no central locking, no horn, no electric seats
-Fuses all checked
-Voltage to CEM on Red and Yellow wires
-CEM removed and inspected
-Plugged in a borrowed iCarsoft CR Pro, the diag tool powers up fine, but seems to not be able to discover much without the ignition turned on and in the end it doesn't really tell me much at all apart from some generic error messages about 'Internal Control Module Software Incompatibility'.

Only thing operational is the Infotainment system so I have the world's most expensive and least portable Bluetooth speaker!

I live in a country area of Victoria, Australia and my nearest Volvo dealer is more than 100km away. I am hoping to avoid flat-bed trucking the car all the way to a dealer.

Can someone please help with further diagnosis and troubleshooting please? I have troubleshooting and electrical skills and ideally I want to narrow this down to a faulty module, wire or connector.

Note this issue was originally posted here but in the end was unable to get much technical help.
ozv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 15:46   #2
ele288

Check the loom in the engine bay going to the cem. They have tendency to decay in the insulation.
ele288 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 10:08   #3
ozv40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
Check the loom in the engine bay going to the cem. They have tendency to decay in the insulation.
Thanks for the suggestion. Without pulling off all of the protective covering, the loom looks to be in near new condition. Car is 6yrs old with only 60,000 miles.
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 10:18   #4
ozv40

CAN bus checked with multimeter:

-60 ohm between CANH and CANL pins on the OBDII port for both High and Low speed CAN bus.

-With battery connected there appears to be no voltage on the CAN bus measured between CANH pin and chassis ground.
Not sure if this means the CAN bus is not running or whether it is just asleep.

How can I diagnose if the CEM is running or not? Status LEDs would be nice!
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 23:54   #5
ele288

Did you check if you getting voltage to the CEM? Here is the link to EWD just pick your model and trace if you are getting power to CEM.
https://vidaresources.volvocars.biz/ewd/Eng/index.html
ele288 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 02:30   #6
ozv40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
Did you check if you getting voltage to the CEM? Here is the link to EWD just pick your model and trace if you are getting power to CEM.
https://vidaresources.volvocars.biz/ewd/Eng/index.html
Yes checked. Using the 2014 EWD (nothing more recent available on that site unfortunately) power is supplied by Red and Yellow wires from the main fuse box on top of the battery.

Any ideas on what CEM outputs I can check to confirm operation?