Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Multiple Exterior Light Malfunction

Views : 858

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2023, 08:50   #1
Craig S

Default Multiple Exterior Light Malfunction

I have a 2016 V40 and after refuelling this morning I received the warning
"Multiple Exterior Light Malfunction" and the display had warning symbols at both front and rear light clusters and the wing mirror repeaters.

I have done a walk round and all of the lights are working including fog lights, high level break light, DRL's, Indicators including repeaters, dipped headlights and full beam, the active bending system is also working.

Any suggestions on what the cause of this is?

I am going to rule out the battery as the car has had a replacement battery around 9 months ago, and the typical journeys I do are around 90 miles each direction.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2023, 09:00   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Multiple warning signs with no apparent fault are a classic sign of a low battery voltage.

New batteries have been known to fail, so the first thing I would do is check the battery voltage with the engine off. Should be about 12.7 volts, then start the engine and check it again, it should be about 14.5 volts if the alternator is charging correctly.
Old May 15th, 2023, 18:40   #3
Craig S

I have checked battery voltages and they are fine.

I have an error code CEM-U030141. Which seems to be a software check sum error in the ECU, but could this just be the Autel diagnostic device not being up to date?
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2023, 22:53   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

have you driven through any deep water or puddles? volvos can be troublesome if got soaked by flooding
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2023, 14:52   #5
RS3100

Poor connections at the wiring connectors to the CEM behind the glove box and beneath the carpet to the outer side of the drivers footwell can cause multiple error messages and warnings. It seems to be a fairly common problem, often resolved by simply disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs a few times to clean up the connectors, although if that doesn't work judicious use of an electrical contact cleaner on the pins may help. Has to be worth a look.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote