Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 2.3 LP turbo cuts out - help!

Views : 1099

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 00:10   #1
salsaman

Default 940 2.3 LP turbo cuts out - help!

Just bought 940 2.3. LP turbo Estate 1996 144,000 miles. Sometimes it cuts out while on the move and wont re-start. If I turn the ignition off and wait a minute or two it will re-start. It's not miss-firing while driving, but when it's warmed up the idle increases from around 750 rpm, when cold, to just over 1000 rpm, when hot. Help would be much appreciated - I had to push it to the kerb, fully loaded, on my own this morning, when it cut as I approached the lights. Did it again on the way home at around 20 mph.
salsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 09:30   #2
gpl1968
VOC Member

Most probably the fuel pump relay which which can be found here:

Re-solder the joints on the pcb.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 09:59   #3
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

My car does the high idle thing. I find that if you give it a minute to idle after starting it seems ok.
Not sure about the stall though, could be idle control valve related seeing as you have an idle problem, crank sensor, injector relay (noise suppression relay) or the fuel pump relay. Ignition switches can also give problems.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 01:22   #4
salsaman

Thanks.
Do you mean fit a new relay as well as soldering the PCB? Tried tapping the relay and wiggling it while the engine was running, but this didn't induce it to cut out.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:41   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

The fuel pump relay powers both the fuel pump and the lambda sensor heater. Unfortunately, the relay rating is only just adequate for this application - which means that it gets quite hot. The cycle of heating up when running, and cooling off when not running causes the PCB inside the relay to expand and contract - this eventually fractures the soldered joints on the PCB, so the next time the engine is run, the joints open and the electrical circuit is broken - meaning no fuel pump. Once the relay cools down, the joints re-connect and you can start the engine again.

The free fix is to open the relay and resolder these joints. I'd say it works in over 50% of cases. The other option is to buy a new relay - it used to cost around £30 from GSF, but I sold my 940 a few years ago so have lost track of prices now I bought a new relay, and re-soldered the original one to be used as a spare which I carried around with me.

Of course your problem may have nothing to do with the relay - but I'd give it a try as its a very common problem.

Regarding the idling issue, I'd recommend checking all the vacuum hoses for splits, and probably would also clean the throttle body ensuring that the bypass tracts are clear - you can then reset the idle speed back to 750rpm and see if that improves matters.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RollingThunder; Jul 17th, 2009 at 10:46. Reason: Adding para on idle speed
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 17:51   #6
TonyS9
Premier Member

I thought the relay problem was cured from 94 or so, but I'm not sure. No problems in my 95+96 940s.

An unusual cutting out problem is a tear in the dump valve diaphragm (the 3 bolt part on the turbo facing the air filter). But its more of a conking out rather than sudden cutting out, if you keep it reved up after applying power and slowly reduce the revs it doesn't conk out at idle. It can't idle while the pressure is wrong in some part of it.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 22:46   #7
salsaman

Thanks - very helpful. will resolder joints in relay and order a new one from Parts for Volvo Online. They quote £9 to £13 depending on colour of relay. As I have only just bought the car I think I will sevice it with plugs, filters etc,etc. Also will check all the points everyone has kindly put forward.