Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bkv

Views : 1458

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2012, 21:08   #1
gillberry
VOC Member

Default Bkv

To all of you who went, hope you all got home safe and had a good time

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 00:16   #2
minesa240x3
loyalty

Well apart from an interesting trip on the saturday due to gusting wind,Which was fine and remarkably stable,I kept the speed between 45 and 50mph..
I got the feeling as we drove in that folks were watching the strange car caravan combo.
The caravan did us proud and I felt a bit guilty knowing lots of folks were in the cold damp tents while we had the gas powered floorlevel hot air system running.
After the show we towed the van onto the flattest bit of road I could find,So I could get the nose wieght bang on,Chris wickers stopped and asked if we were ok.Very nice of him.
The trip back sunday was fantastic and again no issues.Road speed was kept to 50mph as traffic was unusually quite with no ques behind me.

Heres a few pictures for you.
Regards Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1692res.jpg (339.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1811res.jpg (269.2 KB, 48 views)
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 00:32   #3
volvorocks
Rodney

Whats happened to the other caravan in your pics- it looks a bit tilted?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:16   #4
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

It was a sloping field, I was around the corner where the slope was worse. Nose to the ground and rear steadies at full stretch on chocks.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 19:08   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Whats happened to the other caravan in your pics- it looks a bit tilted?

Regards
Well I had to juggle mine into the flattest bit of grass I could find,Thankfully it was a bit stepped so flattish.The couple next door said they had to drive it onto a block of wood to level it?I think they overdid it though.Later on saturday they attempted to put the awning up,But the wind beat them.And I'm not sure it would have reached the ground due to the tilt.I did wonder which end thier heads were?Blood draining to the head isn't fun.

I just put a small cheap spirit level on the front window frame to get it levelish sideways and before doing the jacks I go inside and just sit the level on the kitchen side unit.Not perfect but near enough you don't notice.I then lower the legs that are at the low points followed by the rest but not so heavily.

It will just sit level without jacks as it's SSssoo long and heavy Lol.
Regards Brian.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 19:14   #6
minesa240x3
loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianmale View Post
It was a sloping field, I was around the corner where the slope was worse. Nose to the ground and rear steadies at full stretch on chocks.
I had a walk round that way and noticed quite a few that were very sloped or had three sets of wedged levelers stacked to try and get it right.
Considering it is used for caravans it's very poor indeed.

As I drove in and was greeted I looked up between the caravans and thought"Here we go I'm going to get stuck" it did look a bit muddy and soft.How embarrassing it would have been?I have a diff lock on mine but I think even with that it would just dig TWO holes as it span out Lol.

Maybe I should have as it would make a great ice breaker,And to see how many came out to push.

One thing for sure I wouldn't have let a modern four wheel drive pull me out though,Yikes mega embarrasing.

Regards Brian.
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 20:54   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Well I had to juggle mine into the flattest bit of grass I could find,Thankfully it was a bit stepped so flattish.The couple next door said they had to drive it onto a block of wood to level it?I think they overdid it though.Later on saturday they attempted to put the awning up,But the wind beat them.And I'm not sure it would have reached the ground due to the tilt.I did wonder which end thier heads were?Blood draining to the head isn't fun.

I just put a small cheap spirit level on the front window frame to get it levelish sideways and before doing the jacks I go inside and just sit the level on the kitchen side unit.Not perfect but near enough you don't notice.I then lower the legs that are at the low points followed by the rest but not so heavily.

It will just sit level without jacks as it's SSssoo long and heavy Lol.
Regards Brian.
Thanks Brian

I have done caravanning and have never been on such a tilt...lol

Had to park on an embankment today whilst paying a call and the tilt was so bad that I struggled to open my door...and I have '4X4'. Coped well mind.

Felt a bit 'worrying' mind to be parked at this angle as it was steep. Pulled away fine as well with a bit of a kick from each wheel.!!

People looked at me as though I was a 'rod end'....lol

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 00:03   #8
mattywatsit

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Well apart from an interesting trip on the saturday due to gusting wind,Which was fine and remarkably stable,I kept the speed between 45 and 50mph..
I got the feeling as we drove in that folks were watching the strange car caravan combo.
The caravan did us proud and I felt a bit guilty knowing lots of folks were in the cold damp tents while we had the gas powered floorlevel hot air system running.
After the show we towed the van onto the flattest bit of road I could find,So I could get the nose wieght bang on,Chris wickers stopped and asked if we were ok.Very nice of him.
The trip back sunday was fantastic and again no issues.Road speed was kept to 50mph as traffic was unusually quite with no ques behind me.

Heres a few pictures for you.
Regards Brian.

Hi Brian,

I love your outfit! and hope to own something similar in the future once I have undertaken my B&E, small outfit combinations for me right now as I've only just turned 19!

I acknowledged you as you left the site actually, as I was pitched just down from you and was admiring your car/van.

Here is a small picture for you of my outfit: (taken just outside Thoresby Hall Grounds)

Glad you had a safe journey home.

Many Thanks,
Matthew.
mattywatsit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattywatsit For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 21:55   #9
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thank you Mathew,I did notice your car as it is an unusual colour.Very nice it is too.

I could only find a couple of shots of your car but sadly so far away you can't really see it.You were over by the nest of 340's in the middle part of the field.
And another picture of the couple next door fighting with the new awning.

My van certainly is a handful.Please be sure you tow within your limits,Thats weight and ability.And good luck when you do go for your towing licence.

Regards Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1699res30.jpg (325.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1720res20.jpg (239.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1693res20.jpg (306.6 KB, 19 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 18:25   #10
gillberry
VOC Member

I did get a bit worried about the bit about a couple fighting with a new awning as we had one to try as well but the picture was not us

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote