Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 as a tow car

Views : 6032

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 18:21   #1
topofthestack

Smile XC60 as a tow car

My wife and I are looking to replace the 1997 V70 20V Auto that we use to tow a caravan, partly because the V70 towbar weight limit (75kg) and kerb weight are so low. We're virtually having to strip the 'van and pile everything into the V70 to get down to the towbar limit and to ensure that the car kerb weight is increased. The low towbar limit also means that we have to be careful distributing weight around the 'van as that itself has an ex-factory noseweight of 80kg.

At present, the replacement choice is coming down to the JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE and the XC60. However, the Volvo has a tow ball weight limit of 90kg (as does the XC90) which only gives me 10kg over the caravan noseweight! The JEEP GC, and several other popular and comparative tow cars, have tow bars rated at between 110 and 150kg!

When I contacted Volvo UK and told them what their competitors were offering and asked whether they had any plans to up-rate the Volvo tow bar limits, they said that they didn't.

It seems such a pity that Volvo are loosing an opportunity to become a 'top rate' and very competitive tow cars by persisting with relatively low tow bar limits.

The final choice decision is rapidly approaching and over the past year I've spoken to several caravan owners who are towing with the XC60; all are very positive about the car, nevertheless, I'd appreciate some more personal reviews.
topofthestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 18:32   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

with 90 kg i can not see what your problem is, you can not go over 100 kg on the alko chassis anyway.my ex nosewight is 88 kg on the caravan the car is 75 kg and i agree is not a lot, but with carefull loading you can achieve 90 kg. i can get mine down to 78kg which is 3 kg over weight hope that helps.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:40   #3
Jack_of_all

firstly we aint supposed to exceed the limits. if plod stop you and get their scales out you will be in trouble.

Before we had the XC60 D5 we actually had a Grand Cherry 3ltr. both Diesel autos. We tow a twin axle that has a nose weight of up to 90kg and MTPLM of 1575.
The limits on the jeep towbar was if i recall 110kg. the limit on the volvo is 90kg.

the main reason we changed to the volvo was size - the wife hated the cherry....although actually when you got the tape measure out there wasnt much in it. I liked the cherry for the occaisional off road trip, but i found i was to scared to do anything for fear of bruising such a costy car. So the XC60 fitted us perfectly.

the cherry was great to drive (for me), but IMO the Volvo is actually more fun to drive, and just has more personality if that makes any sense.

as to towing i loved the cherry as it would pull anything. it was easy to forget the van was on the back, and i towed other trailers very close, if not over the legal weight limit, and it was very easy to overload the towball weight without noticing as the back end of the jeep would barely move.

as to the XC60 - again this tows great - not quite as well as the jeep - but this is down to the weight of the car being much less so you know you have something atatched to the back end much of the time. that said it will pull away at the lights fully laden and still beat the 17 year old saxo driver.

I find that the XC60 with our van likes the full 90kg on the towball. Any more and you quickly see the back end of the car sink (wheely that car). Any less than the 90kg and i find that it is more sensitive to that early sign of snaking. But this might all be down to the van, and the towbar being that very slightly lower on the XC than was on the cherry.

personally given the choice of either car the XC60 wins easily. I accept that the weight limit is slightly lower, but i dont need all that capacity. The car is more fun to drive and significantly more economical.
the nose weight is not a problem as usually its caused by too much stuff in the front locker.....
I found that putting my wheel lock, EHU cable and the spare ramps in the nose gained by 10 kg on the front, all this has to come out on arrival, so now i just put it in the van (over the axles of course) and bobs your auntie, weighs in at spot on 90kg.

I suppose i got lazy with weighing things on the jeep as you knew it was going to pull it....but i was possibly illigal sometimes having overloaded the caravan.

Get the XC60, you wont regret it
Jack_of_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 14:37   #4
Yellowbelly

Don't forget that the noseweight should be 5-7% of the max weight of the caravan so if you need more than 90kgs the caravan must weigh over 1800kgs (ie 5% 0f 1800kgs)
Yellowbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 15:35   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/towing.shtml
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 10:44   #6
topofthestack

Smile

Many thanks 'jack' for the comprehenise review, and to the rest of you for what you've added.

My wife and I have becomimg expert on the towing regs since we started towing again last spring after a lay-off of many years, and having a V70 that will only take 75kg. It's a bit more difficult getting down to that weight when you don't have two axles, and very little in terms of accumulated caravan 'add-ons' to use as ballast.

My wife is currently complaining about having to put her clothes and the bedding in the car, instead of hanging her freshly ironed stuff in the wardrobe! I don't like the thought of having the LPG bottle(s) wedged inside the 'van or joining us in the car just to reduce the nose weight. Perhaps we should buy an awning and a complete set of garden furniture just to use as moveable ballast?

Last edited by topofthestack; Dec 3rd, 2011 at 10:44. Reason: wrong name used
topofthestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 15:51   #7
SKH
SKH

Firstly, be careful which model of XC60 you choose as the Manual version only has a 75kg noseweight limit. The auto/ geartronic is 90kg.

Other than that, I have had my XC60 for three years and been towing for at least 20, I can honestly say it is far and away the best car I ever towed with.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 22:20   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKH View Post
Firstly, be careful which model of XC60 you choose as the Manual version only has a 75kg noseweight limit. The auto/ geartronic is 90kg.
Your info is incorrect.

Some older models of XC60 ,yes could only have 75kg nose weight.

The 2011/12 model manual D5 indeed has 90kg nose weight, as does geartronic.

The D3 auto and manual only has 75kg although D3 AWD has 90kg both in manual and geartronic form.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 23:00   #9
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Surely, to adjust the nose weight of the caravan, you change the weight distribution inside, i.e. move items fore or aft of the axel? I don't have caravan, but do tow an 18 ft boot on a twin axle trailer which comes in at just over a ton.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 23:37   #10
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Surely, to adjust the nose weight of the caravan, you change the weight distribution inside, i.e. move items fore or aft of the axel? I don't have caravan, but do tow an 18 ft boot on a twin axle trailer which comes in at just over a ton.
that is correct, but you still have to be carefull where you put the weight as too much at the rear of the axle will cause the tail to wag.mine is a twin axle and more stable, however if i am just going for the weekend i have to take extra kit, thats the downside of only having 75 kg. most new caravans now are heavier and the ex factory noseweight can be as high as 100kg.
mike