Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hopefully Not Serious - AW55-50SN

Views : 998

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2013, 21:44   #1
Peter 62
Master Member

Default Hopefully Not Serious - AW55-50SN

My car is parked on a slope at home. Drove home earlier, backed down the back road as usual, then back into drive to manoeuvre the car into it's regular parking space outside the garage....

....but, all of a sudden and with no warning at all as soon as I tried to drive, it felt as if I was trying to drive uphill on snow. Tried through the other gears and all the same. Got it to move into it's space but it didn't feel nice at all and as I had had a bit of a day and with loads still to do I just abandoned it until tomorrow.

ATF last checked about 6-8 weeks ago and was 'ok' at the time (I have done a few miles since then though). I have already had a sensible suggestion from a top bloke on here and providing I can get it onto a flat surface and warmed up, I'll take it for a run and check the ATF.

Anyone else had a similar experience or has any suggestions?

Thanks, Peter

2004 V70 Facelift, Auto Silver
Peter 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 21:04   #2
byootox
Premier Member

It sounds like the box has went into limp home mode.
Most of these Aisin Warner boxes select 3rd gear or near equivalent when they do this thus the sluggish feel.
There may be a fault present/logged that caused this.
Might be worth getting the transmission read for codes before spending any real money.
Also whilst there might be plenty oil in the box is it clean like a strawberry cordial colour or tan/brown colour ?
Dirty oil can cause problems in an auto.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to byootox For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 22:27   #3
scvolvo
Premier Member

might be worth saying that the 3309 oil is clear, which is the same as volvo spec , but about £2-4 per litre cheaper.
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 14:07   #4
Greg 850

I had a similar problem a few years ago with my 850.
I'd parked on a slope facing downward, came back to the car a few hours later, drove off but noticed the arrow warning light was on in the instrument cluster.....turned round to go back up the slope but the car would not move.

I checked the ATF fluid to find it was very low.

I hadn't realised that someone at some point had taken the dipstick tube out and lost the rubber gromet so when the car was parked on a slope, it drained itself onto the ground which I hadn't noticed at first because the ground was wet.

I topped up the ATF and it was fine.
Hope your problem is as simple :-)
All the best,
Greg
Greg 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg 850 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 17:00   #5
Thanatos
VOC Member

peter it could also be down to the failing alternator so the solinoids cant drop in and the car will revert back to default settings which is set off in third
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thanatos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 10:23   #6
Peter 62
Master Member

Thanks for the replies gents.

Andy knows that there have been developments since I first posted this and am hoping that the alternator will solve this and a multitude of other issues that occurred since this.

Basically I went out the next day and the car was fine. Took it for a drive and parked on the flat to check the ATF. Accidentally switched off the ignition, so tried to restart it immediately and no power. Jump started and car was hunting. Desperate drive home with the car getting worse and worse and finally failing completely while waiting to pick up missus.

That failure was horrible! There was a sequence of events starting with lights going out, various warnings on dash and culminating with engine just stopping. Left it in town that night and went back in morning ready to tow it home, but with my spare battery on it started up and all was good again!!

Until that battery ran down as well.....

Alternator is hardly putting anything out so another one is on its way to me as a write.

We have a high confidence level that all will be good as soon as this is fitted, but I will of course be checking that ATF anyway as soon as I get the opportunity.

This has been educational for me. Despite having cars with 'brains' before I have never had a failure like this that leads back to the alternator!!

Old Nov 13th, 2013, 11:13   #7
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter 62 View Post

This has been educational for me. Despite having cars with 'brains' before I have never had a failure like this that leads back to the alternator!!
I have, in the 240, while driving back from Peterborough... on the M1 in the outside lane. Luckily it was quiet traffic wise and I could easily get it over to the inside lane to be ready to coast it into the hard shoulder. It made it all the way back home and cut out on the last hill from my house.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 12:20   #8
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Low voltage on the +12v bus will send the auto-trans directly into limp mode. The best part? If the power is low enough (< 11v) the TCU can shut off totally, so no warning arrow at all.

Also excessive ripple or AC overlay from a failing alternator will do all manner of odd things with the auto-trans.

Replace that alternator and hopefully everything'll be fine!
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 20:19   #9
byootox
Premier Member

Alternator is still a much cheaper fix then the autobox hopefully that's all it is.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to byootox For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 16:43   #10
Peter 62
Master Member

Problem solved with replacement alternator.

Many thanks for the help and of course to the alternator supplier ;-)

New problem now (that first appeared as part of this one), creating new thread.