Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 AWD Problems, RWD not working

Views : 31909

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2010, 21:05   #11
tabber

Hi All,

I havent found the answer to this question from a quick search of the forums, but is this still a potential issue on brand new XC90s ? (i.e. the MY2011)

I am just about to order one, and it would be nice to know the sleeve design had been changed slightly to stop this happening. One post seemed to be suggesting it had, but can anyone say for sure,.

Cheers,
tabber
tabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:58   #12
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber View Post
Hi All,

I havent found the answer to this question from a quick search of the forums, but is this still a potential issue on brand new XC90s ? (i.e. the MY2011)

I am just about to order one, and it would be nice to know the sleeve design had been changed slightly to stop this happening. One post seemed to be suggesting it had, but can anyone say for sure,.

Cheers,
tabber
More than changed slightly. The latest models have a modified chassis to cope with a new larger angle drive and an uprated sleeve.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:30   #13
tabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
More than changed slightly. The latest models have a modified chassis to cope with a new larger angle drive and an uprated sleeve.
Briiliant. Thanks Roy. That's good to know.
tabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:25   #14
ozmorgan

Am I right in thinking that the Angle Gear unit is manufactured by GM? Having read the various horror stories on this forum, I'm slightly nervous about looking at older xc90s. Is there any way of telling whether the shaft sleeve has been upgraded? Is there any visual difference?

Regards
ozmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:06   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmorgan View Post
Am I right in thinking that the Angle Gear unit is manufactured by GM? Having read the various horror stories on this forum, I'm slightly nervous about looking at older xc90s. Is there any way of telling whether the shaft sleeve has been upgraded? Is there any visual difference?

Regards
Angle gear, No.

The XC90 T6 gearbox is a GM unit unfortunatly (on the older models at least) I hope they are using something better now. Someone with a new T6 like to take a look?

No way to visually tell if the sleeve has been upgraded without dismantling it. An invoice is the best bet if it was an indi but I think a main dealer would have logged it on the cars service history.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 22:20   #16
dadof2

Default Volvo XC90 AWD malfunction

As many owners will know Volvo Customer Relations put out an acknowledgement of a problem which in their own words "stems from a failure of either the angle gear or sleeve" The repair is very expensive at £900 plus at least.

There is a "goodwill" contribution from Volvo ranging from 80% for those cars with less than 25,000 miles to 20% for those with 75,000 miles to 100,000 miles.

This type of fault is sufficiently serious and dangerous in my view to warrant a full recall. Before I take this argument further with Volvo I need to know EXACTLY which models it affects by model name and date of manufacture e.g. all XC90s manufactured between 19?? and 20??. or does someone have the chassis numbers?

Furthermore, has anybody purchased a second hand XC90 from a Volvo dealer where the car was sold to them with this particular problem already known about but NOT CONFIRMED RECTIFIED prior to sale? This type of transction could be very significant.

This could easily become a TOYOTA/ LEXUS type issue if enough owners complain.

Finally, is anybody aware of what Volvo have done in the USA for owners of these vehicles?

Finally, for anybody wishing to write to the Chairman of Volvo use the UK headquarters address and mark you letter STRICTLY PERSONAL (not confidential) and the new Chairman is Mr Li Shufu of Zhejang Geely, the new owners.
dadof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 22:23   #17
dadof2

Default XC90 AWD problem

Please read my post number 16
dadof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 23:21   #18
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2 View Post
As many owners will know Volvo Customer Relations put out an acknowledgement of a problem which in their own words "stems from a failure of either the angle gear or sleeve" The repair is very expensive at £900 plus at least.

There is a "goodwill" contribution from Volvo ranging from 80% for those cars with less than 25,000 miles to 20% for those with 75,000 miles to 100,000 miles.

This type of fault is sufficiently serious and dangerous in my view to warrant a full recall. Before I take this argument further with Volvo I need to know EXACTLY which models it affects by model name and date of manufacture e.g. all XC90s manufactured between 19?? and 20??. or does someone have the chassis numbers?

Furthermore, has anybody purchased a second hand XC90 from a Volvo dealer where the car was sold to them with this particular problem already known about but NOT CONFIRMED RECTIFIED prior to sale? This type of transction could be very significant.

This could easily become a TOYOTA/ LEXUS type issue if enough owners complain.

Finally, is anybody aware of what Volvo have done in the USA for owners of these vehicles?

Finally, for anybody wishing to write to the Chairman of Volvo use the UK headquarters address and mark you letter STRICTLY PERSONAL (not confidential) and the new Chairman is Mr Li Shufu of Zhejang Geely, the new owners.
What repair is £900? It dosn't tie up with anything I've read on the forum.

The most usual reason for loss of AWD on the early models it the splined sleeve which costs about £375

Also what year models are you refering to?

The sleeve is a service item on early models so why the need for a recall?

Volvo sell a front wheel drive XC90 anyway are you saying front wheel drive cars are dangerous and should all be converted to AWD?

The later AWD models are not affected as they have upgraded parts already.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 09:18   #19
AB-UK
Premier Member

My indie quoted £1200 to fix the probem - replace sleeve and angle gear.
The Volvo dealer said they would charge more than this.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:55   #20
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
My indie quoted £1200 to fix the probem - replace sleeve and angle gear.
The Volvo dealer said they would charge more than this.
Yes, that's the price I've seen posted £1200 to £1500 for both. You have to take the angle gear off anyway to fit a new sleeve, the only issue is whether the garage is capable of taking the sleeve and angle gear apart. It's clear from the forum, that for whatever reason, some garages are much better than others at separating them, with main dealers being the least likly to try.

If you stick to my advice of not trying to go much over 50,000 miles with the original sleeve fitted to the early models the sleeve should always be removable, and replacable with the new improved sleeve kit. Besides the sleeve itself being a better item the new seals and grease should prevent the corrosion problem with the original one, and the cost for that should be about £375.