Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine System Service Required

Views : 9723

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 23:52   #1
andymcc1st
AndyMcC

Exclamation Engine System Service Required

Hello all,

Only newly registered on here but I have been stalking the forums for some time. A Great resource I might add.

Basically I have a slight issue with my C30 D3 R-Design, the other day I was driving along minding my own business when the yellow info light came on and error appeared on the display "Engine System Service Required". I immediately pulled over and switched the car off. Upon switching the car back on the error reappeared. I drove the few miles left to my journey home with the car in limp mode.

The next day I switched the car onto ignition II and the error reappeared. So I took it to a local mech and got him to read error codes from computer. Apparently it's coming up as an air mass sensor - Air Mass Too High? P00BD00.

Upon driving the car to the mech the car seemed to heat up very quick (no error when I started car though this time) to operating temp.

Seems to be when the car is cold and started the error is not there until it heats up to operating temp.

I've booked it in with dealer for diagnostics who has said that they will need to charge for hooking up to computer for diagnostics - which I understand as they can't take my word for it on the error. Car is still under warranty BTW.

Just wondering if anyone else had came across this issue with their D3 engine? I'm a little concerned about it being either something stupid like a replacement air filter or something stupidly expensive to sort out.

Any advice/suggestions/comments are welcome.

Many thanks
Andy

Last edited by andymcc1st; Jul 16th, 2013 at 23:55. Reason: Spelling and Grammar
andymcc1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 08:39   #2
mattievrs
Master Member

If the error code is mass air flow related they will more than likely replace the maf on it and see what happens. If the car is still under warrantee then I wouldn't be paying a dime for anything they do as I wouldn't call it normal wer and tear.
mattievrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 22:22   #3
andymcc1st
AndyMcC

Thanks mattievrs,

Appreciate the reply. I sure hope so. I guess I just hate the thought of traveling for 1.5 hours to local dealer especially with the car in limp mode. But needs must

I was really wondering if anyone else had experienced this? Between that and whether or not anyone else had experienced a dodgey weld in the exhaust mid section? Previously I had to have full exhaust replaced under warranty after it dropped down onto the road trailing. Thank goodness for Volvo Assist I say.

Guess I'm having bad luck - I didn't expect any issues with a new car - two in two years seems bad to me (maybe not?) my parents never had any bother with any of their various Volvo cars so I thought the c30 would be the same

Anyway enough rambling from me - Just putting this on here in case anyone else needs help in the future and I will post an update once car is looked at by local (read "not so local") dealer.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 08:01   #4
andymcc1st
AndyMcC

Quick update: dealer agrees that it is mass air flow sensor at fault however doesn't have the part in stock (despite me giving them the error over the phone several days before). So another few hours travelling to and from dealer but at least it's covered under warranty
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 13:21   #5
andymcc1st
AndyMcC

Bad news from the dealer today. Looks to be a split in my intercooler which was causing the issue sounds like this could be expensive. Technician said it could be either a split in the intercooler or a stone has got launched into the front grill and split it. It's quite high up for a stone to hit and it's kind of a long split for a stone to cause (considering the grill is narrow enough) I really hope that it can be covered under warranty. Otherwise I might cry! Lol
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 14:55   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Sounds 100% like the standard common problem with these intercoolers and I say it should be covered under warranty. They have a really high failure rate and if your dealer says it is not covered then ask them to prove it was caused by a stone and not by manufacturing defect. Then consult Volvo UK - worth a try if nothing else.

Slight bloating and cracking open of the intercooler is normally what happens.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 20:40   #7
andymcc1st
AndyMcC

That would explain why the Volvo technician had said that the intercooler is a funny shape. Looks to me like it's bloated causing the top centre to swell up and crack the weld. Looks to me like Volvo need to brush up on their welding first a bad weld in the exhaust now a bad weld in the intercooler. Lol
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 23:27   #8
andymcc1st
AndyMcC

Latest update: the Volvo dealer replaced the intercooler and because it was the weld along the top that had failed it was covered under warranty. Car back to normal, thank goodness
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 00:13   #9
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcc1st View Post
Latest update: the Volvo dealer replaced the intercooler and because it was the weld along the top that had failed it was covered under warranty. Car back to normal, thank goodness
Nice one!

Good result in the end and faith restored once more in the Volvo Dealer system.

Enjoy!

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 18:13   #10
auzo63
Vida

Default Having similar issues

I have been having similar issues, a week ago whilst in the outside lane of M25 I experienced los of power and engine service message and had to be recovered home.

After reading codes with Vida I didn't really have much of a clue what was wrong so I replaced the MAF (£107. GSF Car Parts) but this made no improvement.

After searching the net I came across this post.

I looked threw the bottom of the front grill at the intercooler and it looks ok, so I removed the air box to check the pipes and found this!!

Last edited by auzo63; Jul 28th, 2019 at 18:35.
auzo63 is offline   Reply With Quote