Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying V70 - what to look for

Views : 1146

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 22:46   #1
JMP

Default Buying V70 - what to look for

My sister has 3 - 3.5k to spend and is on the look out for a V70 Auto. Both myself, my father and father in law have V70's and she's been bitten by the bug (mainly due to the long term loan of mine).

She only does approx 5k a year so petrol would be the best bet.
Mileage is pretty unimportant as long as car has a FSH.

My questions are:

What model copes with age/mileage the best: 2.4 140, 2.4 170, 2.4t, T5 (don't think a D5 will be in budget)?

Is it best to go for the earlier Auto or get a Geartronic?

We've seen a couple of ones with good history but bodywork v.tatty (bent roof bars, dented bodywork etc) and been put off.

What are the common problems we should look for bearing in mind a limited mechanical knowledge. (leaks from engine, smooth auto etc).

Prices seem to vary drastically with many 2000 models coming into price range and also up to 53 reg. The 2000 reg's seem a little over priced in my opinion at 3-5k.

Any uselful pointers would be greatly appreciated.
2005 '55 Mercedes C200 CDI Avantgarde Estate
1979 'T' MGB Roadster
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 00:09   #2
Auldtam

Have you considered a Car Auction? You would land a nice V70 for that kind of money...

Remember auctioneers are obliged to disclose everything they know about a car before it goes up for sale...e.g. you visit the site at least a day prior to the auction go to the office with the reg and ask to see all the documents, V5, Service Book, Keys...ask for the keys and have a good look around the car, if you fancy one take back a mechanic to look at it for peace of mind...large engined cars are going for very reasonable prices at the moment...only downside if your not a dealer is the auctioneers add on fees so check them out too...ask the auctioneer what he thinks the car will fetch...he sells them every day and will probably give you a good ballpark figure...
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 13:14   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

I'd be tempted to suggest a 97-99 phase one 'Classic', the old shape, pre-ETM, P to S-reg.

It's a much much better-built car, you'll have at least £1500 change from your £3500, and you'll be able to look forward to virtually zero depreciation! Added to that pre-2001 cars road tax is £185, later than this it goes up and up and up. The £1500 saved will pay for fuel for two whole years!

At 5000 miles per year the start mileage isn't a big worry. Even if you bought now at say 150,000 miles up you'll have a car with literally decades of life left.

As for what to look for, make sure everything electrical and aircon-related works, that the bodywork and interior is in good clean condition, that there are no obvious leaks, and that the engine and gearbox are smooth and quiet. Check the engine top mount, that the cambelt has been changed, that the brake discs have plenty of life, and that the auto fluid isn't blackened or very smelly.

The 2.0 litre engine is not up to much with an autobox, the 2.5 10v 140bhp is probably the best option. (Some later cars are badged 2.4, but it's the same engine). A pre-ETM car, or one that's had the ETM sorted, would be best.

Leather interior is definitely worth seeking out. Early auto with the SEW buttons is great!

Hope that helps

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 11:43   #4
Rob.D
Captain Mainbearing

Hi Tam, I have the very car that Captain Jack is referring to, but sorry it's definately NOT for sale. My question is for the captain - er, forgive my ignorance but, what does ETM mean? Thanks, Rob.
Rob.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 13:21   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Forgive me for butting in...

Hello, To answer your question and then some. ETM stands for Electronic Throttle Module. The earlier ones had a mylar contact strip which wore out. A software download extended its life by recalibrating the ETM such that the wiper contacted the strip in a different place. This download was a service campaign (free) in the US. The replacement cost of the ETM is $1,000 to $1,200 here-750 pounds there, I recon. A company named Xemodex rebuilds them better than new for way less. The bonus there is that you get your own ETM returned to you and do not have to pay for some other ETM to be married to your car's CXAN-BUS system. ERGO: A cherry V70 sans throttle cable isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Sorry for stepping on your thread. Here's where I butt in big time: If you're trying to go "Volvo on a budget" then do it right. No turbos or automatic transmissions unless you know how to inspect them or have them inspected. An older 4 speed is a great, strong unit and can be repaired for MUCH less than a 5 speed, should that need arise. Remember, Volvo, and others, said their transmission fluid was lifetime. Many people took this stupid advice as gospel. If you find an acceptable, older car remember to flush all the fluids if maintenance history is unknown. Jack is right about these cars being built well. They are simpler than the P2's. You can pop in an aftermarket master window switch in a P1. A P2 requires marrying. There are always more aftermarket options (exhaust systems, rebuild kits) for an older body style. Tell us what you learn and do. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 16:47   #6
jeffreyt

having recently bought an early p.2 V70 xc (2000 reg) I can only reinforce what jack said ie go for a 97-99 p.1 classic shape pre ETM one and avoid the early p.2 models.
As for price you should expect a real beaut p.1 for 2K, ignore the overpriced ones ,the dealers/ individuals are just trying it on.Simple guide is if its been advertised for more than 2 weeks and not sold its overpriced.
I paid £2.5 for my 2000 V70 xc 3 months ago ,it appeared mint with 117k and FSH etc etc but I've been sorting out problems since day one.
One drive shaft ,lamda and maf ( air flow sensor ) later and its now running quite well with a nice smooth tickover!
I know it sounds simplistic but believe what you read on this forum,the early p.2 cars were an electronic nightmare and its not just the ETM.
If you need good reliability go for a p.1 2.5 10v .
If you do go for an early p.2 make £2.5K your ceiling which gives you some change to sort it out which I guaranty you will have to do.
jeffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:48   #7
ade555

I belive v70 had the problem with ETM in some pre 2000 reg and up to 2002, later models 2003 reg had the different ETM fitted, please correct me if im wrong but I didn't see any ETM fail after 2003 reg, is up to you when it comes to milage if you want car that has under 100k or above but if you willing to go above you could pick up 03-04 reg with around 110k on clock, I can't advice on auto box as I never had one, I would take some CD's with you just to check if the cd player will eject them with out any problems, some have issues, all ready some one said have a look on car auction thats where most of cars come from when they on autotrader, have a look on ebay, the seller will allow you to come and have a look, few links in the first one you even have diesel, please note that I have nothing to do with them cars is just example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70-...item2a182c47de

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-VOLVO...item3f15cbb040

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

Ade
ade555 is offline   Reply With Quote