Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46780

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2021, 11:51   #541
Chris152

I went back out to have another fiddle, and before I could get much done, noticed this - it's the No 6 fuse, buckled and the plastic melted. That's the 'Fuel pump relay (main pump)' fuse. I replaced it yesterday, tho the old one didn't look to be blown. Does that cast any light? Certainly explains the slight burning smell I thught I sensed.
Edit - Haynes says if the fuse has blown, we need to trace the fuel pump circuit for a short. Does that include faulty earth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0280.jpg (30.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Chris152; May 8th, 2021 at 12:19.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 11:51   #542
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Chris:~
Look behind the facia left & right side approximately halfway down the cassette box and you will see a screw either side- these hold the box in place.
The side trims are better removed or pushed over.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 11:58   #543
Chris152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Look behind the facia left & right side approximately halfway down the cassette box and you will see a screw either side- these hold the box in place.
The side trims are better removed or pushed over.
Bob.
Bob - I can now see the pointed end of a screw coming in to the side of the casette holder case, but can't get inside the console to get to the screw head. The console has some flex but not that much and I'm afraid of cracking the plastic. I'm not clear what the side trims are, the console is a single molded unit? Thanks.

ps Dave - ther's no access from the ashtray recess.

Last edited by Chris152; May 8th, 2021 at 12:04.
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:24   #544
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

The screw heads are behind the lower facia panel- no need to force the cassette box in anyway.
Side panels- the left and right pieces either side of the lower facia ie they cover the heater and access to the wires/solenoids.

Once you get the above removed the screw heads will be a little way back but behind the facia- they pass through the metal frame into the cassette box sides. Once removed the box will pull straight out allowing the facia panel to be removed.
Regards Bob.

Picture adapted:~ Yellow- screws are accessed from the sides but behind the facia. Blue indicates the side panels that should be removed to gain access etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cas.jpg (31.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Bob Meadows; May 8th, 2021 at 12:38.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:34   #545
Chris152

Thanks Bob, got it!
Do the blown fuse reinforce the idea that it may be a poor connection to ground, or does it suggest something different?
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:44   #546
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
I went back out to have another fiddle, and before I could get much done, noticed this - it's the No 6 fuse, buckled and the plastic melted. That's the 'Fuel pump relay (main pump)' fuse. I replaced it yesterday, tho the old one didn't look to be blown. Does that cast any light? Certainly explains the slight burning smell I thught I sensed.
Edit - Haynes says if the fuse has blown, we need to trace the fuel pump circuit for a short. Does that include faulty earth?
The fuse isn't blown Chris but wasn't fitted so that it wouldn't fail - possibly the link wasn't correctly in place before you fitted it which would have made matters worse.

If you get another fuse, look closely at it, on the side without the link there should be a dimple each end to hold the ends of the link. Ensure the ends are located in those dimples, pushing them in with an empty biro or simlar bluntish instrument.

When fitting the fuse into the fuse box, locate one end on the fixed contact (one is usually fixed and the other is sprung normally) with the link side going in first. Holding the first end in place, push the other end into the sprung contact.
Obviously you can't see the link now so between finger and thumb, rotate the fuse in the contacts - this serves more than one purpose, not only does it turn the fuse so you can see the link but it cleans the contacts as it rotates allowing better contact.

Before fitting, make sure the contact points on the fusebox contacts are clean and bright - if not, find a 1/4" or 6mm drill bit or a similar size and between the thumb and index finger, offer it into each contact and rotate it back and forth a few times to clean the contacts. This may have been the original solution to the problem but as it's something i would automatically do i forgot to mention it - it's always good practice to do this with Continental (as those fuses were known at one point) fuses/fuseboxes whenever changing a fuse and/or fault-finding.

Try that before chasing the earths, it may reveal the problem quicker and easier!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:55   #547
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

quite common for these fuses to breakdown as pictured- worth taking a look at other forum mail relating to the same, many change over to ceramic bodied as this seems to be a better product (ebay have them but do check the price range-they are not expensive)

To date I don't seem to have the problem but I give then a thin coating of copper grease or GT85 with a small artists brush & rotate etc.

The ground connections are worth checking- linked?
The fuse box area is susceptible to damp and even water if the screen has leaked- if it all looks quite dry then clean each fuse & contact points and you should be ok
Good Luck
Regards Bob.

These fuse pullers/holder are worth having.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373441321...MAAOSwXAlgETYe

Last edited by Bob Meadows; May 8th, 2021 at 13:01.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 13:20   #548
Chris152

Quite embarrassed, if I'm honest! I didn't have another fuse, so recovered the rather old-looking one I'd taken out yesterday, cleaned the contacts on the fuse with 180 grade abrasive and used a drill bit as you suggested on the connectors in the box. Fitted as you said, turned it over and it started up fine. Tried it 3 times, opened and closed the window, all fine. No smells detected by my over-sensitive nose.

So, the old one (which I just refitted) could have jiggled out of position or just got corroded? And the new fuse I fitted wasn't blown because the wire was still fine, and the melted body means it wasn't fitted correctly.

Embarrassed for all the effort you fellas have put in to help us, and it was all about a fuse. [Hopefully!]

Bob - we'll definitely look at a new set of ceramic body fuses - when I find some, I'll post here to check we're getting the right thing, if that's ok.

Thank you all!
[as I type, I can hear the lad starting and stopping the engine outside :-) ]
Old May 8th, 2021, 13:26   #549
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
These fuse pullers/holder are worth having.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373441321...MAAOSwXAlgETYe
Nice idea on the fuse puller Bob but the link you provided was for mine blade fuses (the link was confusing as it suggested glass fuses) but this one is for the "ceramic" or plastic fuses aka Continental type :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283885503576

To be honest, i've never had to resort to tools for removing/refitting this type of fuse, grab with thumb and forefinger, push against the spring contact, lift away from the fixed then out - easy-peasy!

As for using GT85 or copper grease on electrical stuff, not good. Both are carbon based so if they get warm, the grease carbonises causing increased resistance.

A much better option is silicone grease or dielectric grease.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 13:44   #550
Chris152

Should the fuses be copper? Just reading other threads, not sure what's best.