Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46813

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2021, 12:03   #491
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suggested the G-Clamp as it can be used for a variety of other tasks as well, rather than the dedicated pad spreader tool.
Fair comment - sometimes the cramp won't fit though. It's a case of use whatever tool works best for you.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 12:44   #492
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Fair comment - sometimes the cramp won't fit though. It's a case of use whatever tool works best for you.
I've heard that but never had a problem myself, possibly because i've always used a large G-Clamp and had the caliper away from the disc.

Each to their own though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 08:59   #493
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
I've heard that but never had a problem myself, possibly because i've always used a large G-Clamp and had the caliper away from the disc.

Each to their own though!
I try to leave the caliper and disc in situ unless I'm replacing the discs.

With 4-pot front calipers, as fitted to the vast majority of 200-series cars, the spreader should move all 4 pistons together. The plate applies pressure evenly whereas I found that a large screwdriver and old brake pad would sometimes move one side's pistons in unevenly. (And occasionally cause weight loss when a chunk was gouged out of my paw.)

Othen's caliper wind-in tool is fine for single-sided calipers, such as the 7/9-series cars use on the pointed (less blunt?) end and for anything with the abominable handbrake working on the disc arrangement beloved of current manufacturers.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 11:08   #494
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I try to leave the caliper and disc in situ unless I'm replacing the discs.

With 4-pot front calipers, as fitted to the vast majority of 200-series cars, the spreader should move all 4 pistons together. The plate applies pressure evenly whereas I found that a large screwdriver and old brake pad would sometimes move one side's pistons in unevenly. (And occasionally cause weight loss when a chunk was gouged out of my paw.)

Othen's caliper wind-in tool is fine for single-sided calipers, such as the 7/9-series cars use on the pointed (less blunt?) end and for anything with the abominable handbrake working on the disc arrangement beloved of current manufacturers.
Good point Loki, the wind back type only works on single sided callipers. For double sided callipers (the front brakes on most modern bikes) I often resort to a pair of gas fitter's grips (wrapped in cloth to avoid damage). I have not had to do any work on the RB's brakes yet.

:-)
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 13:00   #495
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I have the handbrake on disc arrangement on my other beast and there's no way that tool would work on them. The piston needs to be physically rotated while being pushed in so i use the pin spanner from an angle grinder and apply pressure using either my thumb or some form of lever.

Properly maintained and with correct pad change procedure followed, they are an excellent system. The problem comes when people don't know the correct pad change procedure and/or set the handbrake travel incorrectly, i.e. not enough handbrake travel.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 14:11   #496
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I have the handbrake on disc arrangement on my other beast and there's no way that tool would work on them. The piston needs to be physically rotated while being pushed in so i use the pin spanner from an angle grinder and apply pressure using either my thumb or some form of lever.

Properly maintained and with correct pad change procedure followed, they are an excellent system. The problem comes when people don't know the correct pad change procedure and/or set the handbrake travel incorrectly, i.e. not enough handbrake travel.
... but that is exactly the point of the wind back tool Dave - it rotates the thread of the handbrake mechanism at the same time as pushing the piston back into the calliper. I have that arrangement on my Skoda Superb, and have also used it on Vauxhalls (and probably other cars) - it works perfectly and makes re-setting the rear brakes a 5 minute job.

The same tool works on single sided callipers (like the front of the Skoda, both brakes on my Triumph and CCM) to push the pistons home.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 28th, 2021 at 14:21. Reason: Photo added
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 14:44   #497
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... but that is exactly the point of the wind back tool Dave - it rotates the thread of the handbrake mechanism at the same time as pushing the piston back into the calliper. I have that arrangement on my Skoda Superb, and have also used it on Vauxhalls (and probably other cars) - it works perfectly and makes re-setting the rear brakes a 5 minute job.

The same tool works on single sided callipers (like the front of the Skoda, both brakes on my Triumph and CCM) to push the pistons home.
In that case Alan, i think i've missed something somewhere!

Have you got a link to the wind-back tool please?

Old Mar 28th, 2021, 15:38   #498
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
In that case Alan, i think i've missed something somewhere!

Have you got a link to the wind-back tool please?
One like this should do it Dave - they are all much the same (this one is only a tenner):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL...Cclp%3A2334524
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 16:24   #499
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
One like this should do it Dave - they are all much the same (this one is only a tenner):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL...Cclp%3A2334524
Thanks Alan, had a look and found an identical one for a couple of quid cheaper and strangely it appears to be under a different name for the same seller! Might be wrong on that but the parts of the business address i could compare (some was in Chinese, i get lost after egg foo yung!) seemed identical.

Saved both in my Watch list though, will need one when i get my Rover back from the MoT place when it reopens (assuming it does!) as it needs a brake fluid change so i'll service the calipers all round at the same time. That will give me the opportunity to reset the handbrake adjustment as well.

Old Mar 28th, 2021, 17:07   #500
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan, had a look and found an identical one for a couple of quid cheaper and strangely it appears to be under a different name for the same seller! Might be wrong on that but the parts of the business address i could compare (some was in Chinese, i get lost after egg foo yung!) seemed identical.

Saved both in my Watch list though, will need one when i get my Rover back from the MoT place when it reopens (assuming it does!) as it needs a brake fluid change so i'll service the calipers all round at the same time. That will give me the opportunity to reset the handbrake adjustment as well.
Number 57 and special flied lice.

PS. If you wind both sides all the way back then the parking brake should adjust itself as you pump the hydraulic system up.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 28th, 2021 at 17:15.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: