Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

140 prices

Views : 1274

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 21:06   #1
jessejazza

I'd be grateful if someone could let me know about prices for 140 models. I have just joined the group and was looking for a 240. I know of a 140 but have been asked to make an offer. This suggests that he is expecting much more than a 240. But i don't know.

I had a 240 several years ago and have decided to get another. Could someone advise of the best place to go hunting. eBay doesn't seem that fruitful to me.

thanks
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 22:00   #2
john h
VOC Member

I think if you can describe condition of the 140 you'll get an estimate of value from one of the forum experts.

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 22:05   #3
jessejazza

Its auto 122k miles good paintwork and trim. Not sure about the inside as i haven't been to see it yet. I was just after a vague price range - i know what 240's go for. I'd prefer a 140 but . . . i'm really after something reasonably quick.

thanks
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 17:49   #4
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Default 140 prices......

You can pick up fairly ragged 140's for around the £100 mark but I would have thought a half decent one with MOT would be not much more than £500. A '72 or earlier would be good as no road tax. The maximum value my insurance company would accept for my '73 rally car was £2000 and the engine is worth more than that! I would assume then that the A1 concours value must be approaching that level although never seen one get close to it!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 18:36   #5
john h
VOC Member

The auto will not be quick.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 20:32   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Even the auto can be quite quick.!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 21:00   #7
john h
VOC Member

I was judging by my 164E which with auto box felt inefficient and sluggish unless totally thrashed, but when I converted to manual o/d it felt like it gained 30 or 40% more power... even before I changed the high ratio rear axle.

My auto box or torque converter could have been faulty I suppose, but my experience with various marques is that '70s 3-speed automatics are very wasteful of engine power. Perhaps I have been unlucky?

Is a 144 auto the same box as in a 164?

John
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 14:04   #8
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Yes, they are both the BW35.

It is possible to fit an AW box off a 740 with four speeds and torque converter lockup if you use an adaptor plate and modify the bellhousing...

Anyone know if the 140 and 164 auto bellhousings are the same?

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 19:31   #9
jessejazza

Thanks for your reply.

As you mentioned converting your motor to manual - how easy is that to do with a 140 or 240. I converted to auto with a scimitar but was quite easy to do as the production model body was exactly the same - apart from different pedal box and no clutch fluid. I loved the auto in a scimitar but it suddenly decided to pack up and the essex engine being such a big lump i decided to cut my losses and sell it as i was about to move.

thanks