Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Idler Arm Bushing 671444

Views : 8479

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2016, 13:32   #1
Maver1ck

Default Idler Arm Bushing 671444

I replaced my rubber idler arm bushing (part 671444) for my 1970 Amazon about 5 months ago. Since that time I've driven about 5,000 km around Southern Africa. The roads are, to say the least, "not good" and the bushing has certainly not had an easy life.

"But it is practically brand new!" I found myself yelling at the alignment shop owner today.

But sure enough, after I got under the car myself I could see there was significant slop in the rubber bushing. That led me to do some research, eventually leading me to the below ebay ad.

Has anyone on this forum purchased this product? Are there any potential downsides (other than price!)?

Redesigned Idler Arm Bushings for Amazon, 1800, 140, 164

Maver1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maver1ck For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 14:44   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

No first hand experience with that bush but the designer did offer them on this forum. The look good and should work well. I am sure others on this page have used them
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 16:36   #3
tdz840
VOC Member

Good find and reasonable cost!
I like the idea it is maintainable. Saying that I fitted UJs that have nipples and I can't remember the last time this nipple greased the nipple.
Partivulary like the statement not responsible for design flaws. I'm suspecting thats a translation error.
On a separate matter what's Zimbabwe like now? Somewhere I have always wanted to go but worried about local issues. Looks a great country, despite the current politics.
Had a friend that owned a farm but water issues and someone deciding they wanted it more than them meant they had to give it up and settle in the UK.
Apparently it's not a farm anymore as the land hasnt been managed properly-great shame.
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 17:08   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Mav;

It looks like a nice retro-design...brass and greaseable, like the old days and before they changed to Maintenance-Free (= Unmaintainable!)...from Holland, where we do have a lot of vintage Volvo friends, and with that, some creative and industrious problemsolvers...what I mean to say by that is that they wont let an annoyance like poor quality of replacement parts (particularly the rubber) keep them from keeping their cars on the road...they just design a better alternative. I like it!

Cheers and Best from Connecticut!

PS (Send pix!)

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jan 6th, 2016 at 17:32.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 17:38   #5
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Maver1ck, the best you will get. I personally will never drive a Volvo 140 P 1800 or Amazon without this item. Will last forever if you grease it regulary. Steering needs less power! Only one think isn't good as with rubber: sometimes the steering wheel will wobble/shake more often if the wheels are not balanced perfektly.
I tryed to make it by my one for less money, without success. If you start to produce a small series it will be much cheaper, if you start to build one, no!

The alignment will never "show" a worn out rubber in the pitman

Good luck, cheers, mocambique-amazone
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 04:51   #6
northNH

Why not just use an earlier greaseable style, where every part that can wear is easily obtainable and replaceable? And, when adjusted correctly, less play than even a NOS OE Volvo rubber one ever had.
Easy to find a decent old one, ready to rebuild. I've got several to give away.

On the other hand, this one shown here is real nice...
northNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 13:58   #7
Maver1ck

Thanks Everyone,

With the condition of roads here and your positive responses I will plan on purchasing this as funds allow.

Russ: Your friend's story is one of thousands with the exact same narrative. There are now just a smattering of white commercial farmers left in Zimbabwe and government-supported farm invasions are still happening to this day. Unfortunately not much has changed on that front in the last 15 years. The country is beautiful however and is certainly worth a visit. As a tourist you won't be subject to that side of things and this is a much safer destination than other countries in Africa. Car jackings and other armed assaults are basically unheard of here...probably because there isn't much left to steal.

Ron: Yes, will send pics, but am waiting for a "worthy" picture background post-installation of your very comforting seat spring kit. Thanks again!

mocambique-amazone: Thank you for your comments. In terms of the alignment not "showing" a worn out rubber bushing...it brings up a whole different topic. There are many, many "alignment shops" in Harare. Few have well trained technicians. Fewer still appear to care about taking the time to do it right. It appears to me the normal course of doing an alignment here involves these steps:

1. If the vehicle isn't in the alignment computer state you can't do an alignment. It doesn't matter if the customer has the specifications and the original factory service book for your reference. If the car isn't in the computer an alignment simply can't be done.

2. An old Volvo? Tell the customer there is only one adjustment that can be made: toe-in. No other adjustment is possible. Refuse to look at any kind of "factory service book" which may indicate how to adjust other parameters of alignment (as this would weaken your argument).

3. Push, pull, and prod and claim that something is "worn out." Surely something will be worn out. This will come in handy if the customer ever tries to imply you didn't do a full job - it isn't your fault, something is worn out. If the customer claims he has literally replaced every single wear item in the front end recently, say "well even so, it's worn out."

4. If you actually feel bad for the chap, hook the wheel sensors up, plug in the specifications and begin the "alignment." Option 1 is to make the customer wait outside. This is the best option, as they can't see what you are or are not doing. If he refuses to wait outside because he has experience with other alignment shops, do what you would do anyways...put the car on the machine, take an initial reading and then proceed to adjust the wheel sensors (instead of the car's alignment!) until you get a satisfactory reading on the computer. If the customer calls you out, simply indicate you HAVE to do this because the computer is "too sensitive" and reassure the customer "not to worry, the alignment is good, you can see it on the print out."

Needless to say, after four attempts with "highly recommended" shops around town, I am still on the search for an alignment shop I can trust.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 22:37   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Mav;

Pretty soon, if not already at many shops, that is the way it will also be here in the US...if it's not in the computer, they won't be able to deal with it...it's like that at the parts counter already...

It sounds like you have to do it yourself...so I'd first spin the wheels and assure wheels ran true (no bent wheels, or suspension or bearing slop), then just ask the shop to install their wheel fixtures, measure and give you the report of current alignment (then remove wheel fixtures, reinstall them and repeat to verify repeatability get confidence in the report).

Compare those numbers against the service manual yourself, and install shims per the charts in the service book...thankfully, the suspension hardware is beefy enough that you can do that...knowing where you were...adding a shim of a certain thickness, with high degree of accurate result, to where you want to be. For your confidence, take the car back and have them do the report again to check your work...naturally and optimally, it would be nice to find a shop with an appreciation for vintage cars which could do both for you...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 09:35   #9
Maver1ck

Leaving the issue of alignments to the side for the moment...

I am happy to report that I have installed the new bushing and steering has improved dramatically, eliminating the hard left-pull I was experiencing with the "new" but terrible quality rubber idler arm bushing.

For future reference, I want to post the installation instructions included with the eBay bushing. It was a challenge but I eventually found the proper "bearing retainer" LocTite equivalent here in Zimbabwe, but it would have been nice to know ahead of time that this specific Loctite is required for installation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Idler Arm Instructions.pdf (730.6 KB, 84 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Maver1ck For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 09:58   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Good to see some more good feedback on these
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote