Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

thoughts on suspension refresh?

Views : 482

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2023, 14:11   #1
JohnIreland

Default thoughts on suspension refresh?

hullo all, I'm based in Ireland with a 1989 Volvo 240 GL estate, bought from Darrell Denning at Genuine cars. Very pleased with the car in general, but with a over 150k miles on the clock, its a bit roly-poly around corners and crashy over even minor bumps so I'm thinking it could do with an all-round bush refresh and new shocks.

So just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on rubber bushes, ie. what brand would you go for, and would you replace the whole lot or just select ones? Hard to tell which ones really need replacing.

I'm generally inclined to keep things standard, but wondered if Bilstein B4 or B6 shocks would be good upgrade without making things too stiff? I'm happy with the ride height as it stands, but if the springs turn out to be tired, I would also consider slightly lowered ones, - say -15/20mm. Worth doing?

Any thoughts very welcome!
JohnIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnIreland For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 22:13   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Bushes in rubber regardless of brand are not going to last too well. If you want rubber keep as many of the original bushes as are fit to keep.

If you want to tighten up the feel of the car stiffer springs will help -15mm lowering or 40mm are both good for a daily driven car. Dampers just some decent gas pressure ones is all you need. The Bilstein B6's are very harsh and you would need to send them off to have the valves changed before fitting them to make them work.

If you still find the body roll too much after doing that you could upgrade the anti roll bars to 27mm ones
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 12:55   #3
Juular

I think my GLT has the 27mm anti-roll bar, and after fitting PU bushes to it there's hardly any body roll.

I've also just fitted -40mm springs and new Sachs Touring dampers. I think it handles very well without being remotely crashy.

When I rebuilt the car I fitted new droplink rubbers as well. Fitting PU ones would probably be a nice cheap and easy upgrade there.

Don't neglect the engine mounts. If they're tired, it'll be like driving with a tank full of water up front.

Last edited by Juular; Sep 4th, 2023 at 13:20.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 11:54   #4
Blitzp

i changed to a set of lesjorf (poor spelling) springs and Bilstein b6 dampeners and its improved the handling hugely. ride isn't hard, still comfortable and made it feel like the steering wheel was attached to the wheels
Blitzp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blitzp For This Useful Post: