Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 47137

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2020, 09:45   #141
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Different instruction in : Bentley re 240 1983 through 1993.
I'll try to post a note sometime as to what Bentley says.

Overall I'm seeing points I haven't remembered. [Some] specify engine at running temperature to retension.

I might manage to post a note some time. EAOE

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 26th, 2020 at 09:47.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 10:59   #142
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Interesting- although since the book doesn’t specifically say not to re-tension the belt periodically after that first 600 mile interval, and I have seen posts on forums here and elsewhere concerning timing belts skipping teeth, I’ll stick to periodically retensioning mine. Of course you could say quite reasonably that if a belt is loose enough to skip teeth then it should have been replaced already, which I wouldn’t disagree with.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:11   #143
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Interesting- although since the book doesn’t specifically say not to re-tension the belt periodically after that first 600 mile interval, and I have seen posts on forums here and elsewhere concerning timing belts skipping teeth, I’ll stick to periodically retensioning mine. Of course you could say quite reasonably that if a belt is loose enough to skip teeth then it should have been replaced already, which I wouldn’t disagree with.

Cheers

If it's loose enough to skip teeth it isn't tensioned correctly and probably wasn't retensioned after 600 miles. Also constant retensioning (i.e. more than one retension during its life) will over-tension the belt which can result in stripping teeth - same end result, the car stops!

If it was necessary to periodically retension, it would say so in the service schedule. I've not seen it in any Volvo service schedules.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:12   #144
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post

Cheers
Ah, now I remember, you had mentioned re-tensioning the cam belt at service intervals previously, that is why I'd suggested it to Chris.

I must admit, I still can't think of any reason not to re-tension a cam belt at service intervals and so make sure it is always running the way Mr Volvo intended it to. On bikes (almost exclusively chain drive cams) re-tensioning is almost always a service job (usually a similar arrangement with a spring loaded idler).

Maybe Dave will know why it should only be done once?

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:18   #145
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

If it's loose enough to skip teeth it isn't tensioned correctly and probably wasn't retensioned after 600 miles. Also constant retensioning (i.e. more than one retension during its life) will over-tension the belt which can result in stripping teeth - same end result, the car stops!

If it was necessary to periodically retension, it would say so in the service schedule. I've not seen it in any Volvo service schedules.
Spooky - you have answered my question above in the time it took me to write it!

I can't agree that a spring loaded idler can ever over-tension the belt, so that can't possibly be the reason. I'm still struggling to think of a reason why re-tensioning the belt say every 10,000 miles would not be a good idea.

I agree that the service schedule would say if it was a requirement, but it certainly doesn't say not to do it, and it omits some other things such as carrying out the re-tensioning at TBC on #1 (well, it does omit it in my 240 book, but not in your 740 book).

Alan
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:30   #146
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I'm a bit lost on this one:~

I thought that once the belt has been renewed and the tensioner released then that is it? i.e. the tensioner automatically adjust itself being spring loaded.

Should I get my coat ready!
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:35   #147
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Spooky - you have answered my question above in the time it took me to write it!

I can't agree that a spring loaded idler can ever over-tension the belt, so that can't possibly be the reason. I'm still struggling to think of a reason why re-tensioning the belt say every 10,000 miles would not be a good idea.

I agree that the service schedule would say if it was a requirement, but it certainly doesn't say not to do it, and it omits some other things such as carrying out the re-tensioning at TBC on #1 (well, it does omit it in my 240 book, but not in your 740 book).

Alan
Belts stretch and wear as they are used Alan, retensioning them leads to more stretch prematurely and also stresses the teeth on the belt so they can break off. That makes it a very bad idea to keep retensioning it!

For the cost of a belt, if in doubt - renew it!

Also i was referring to the Volvo service schedule, not the Haynes Book of Fantasy (HBoF) service schedule where things are omitted but also some useful things are inserted, for example changing the diff oil that Volvo don't bother to recommend.

Others have mentioned Autodata, i've found most of their books inaccurate at best and downright wrong at worst. As such, i take most of what is in Autodata as "use with caution" but double-check if at all possible with one or more other sources.

Also mentioned have been some books of USA origin, again to be used with caution! Very often the USA spec cars have different specs, schedules and so on compared to us - not just Volvo but many makes - so to use a USA book on a UK car or vice versa could cause major problems.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:36   #148
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
I'm a bit lost on this one:~

I thought that once the belt has been renewed and the tensioner released then that is it? i.e. the tensioner automatically adjust itself being spring loaded.

Should I get my coat ready!
Bob.
No, the tensioner is then locked off again afterwards, it isn't a contantly adjusting type.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:44   #149
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Belts stretch and wear as they are used Alan, retensioning them leads to more stretch prematurely and also stresses the teeth on the belt so they can break off. That makes it a very bad idea to keep retensioning it!
I'm still not really with you on this one Dave: if a belt stretches surely it is better to re-tension it than to knowingly run it too loose. I just can't see that would be the best solution.

Alan
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:57   #150
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm still not really with you on this one Dave: if a belt stretches surely it is better to re-tension it than to knowingly run it too loose. I just can't see that would be the best solution.

Alan
Thing is Alan, it's designed to stretch that much and when it's "knowingly slack", it's still tight enough. If it is retensioned then, it becomes too tight and overstretched, past its elastic limit.

Have a think about it, i know you'll work it out!