Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 V6 non start continues...what's this wire?

Views : 423

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2022, 18:46   #1
russwinchester

Default 760 V6 non start continues...what's this wire?

So the car still isn't playing ball, still no spark. I was taking it to a car meet on Sunday typically!

I've swapped out the power stage and the CPS so far, no change. Haven't done radio suppression yet but swapped them over with the adjacent one and no change.

I've had some reflection time, and realised that this has only happened since I fitted the new stereo, (I've had the driver's hush panel off and rummaged around. Perhaps I disturbed something).

One thing I immediately saw was the brake light switch female connector was hanging loose. I connected it and the car started! For about 10 seconds, then died. Coincidence? I'd be amazed if this was really the root cause. Of course, it hasn't started since.

I've attached a photo, this other connector behind the IP is hanging loose, no idea what it is, it could reach the back of the relay board but would be a stretch. Could this be the culprit?

So I've booked an auto electrician to come and visit Friday which goes against all my principles but it might be £100 well spent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whatsthiswire.jpg (13.3 KB, 37 views)
russwinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 23:06   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That pic is too blurry and small Russ. Can't identify the colour code properly on the wire but can you see any bright marks inside the terminal to suggest it was connected to something? If so look for a similar connector on the back of the relay board that has witness marks, reunite the two and try it - might save you some £££ on an auto electrician who still may not be able to find the fault.
If he's younger than the car he may not even be able to work anything out and not being able to plug any form of code reader in will no doubt baffle him!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 20:37   #3
russwinchester

I managed to find an electrician with 35 years in the trade so I know he's not turning up with a laptop

Here's another photo of the wire....it's white, and breaks out of a vertical harness behind the console.

No obvious male connectors nearby with witness marks unfortunately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image0 (2).jpeg (120.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by russwinchester; Feb 2nd, 2022 at 20:39.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 23:06   #4
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwinchester View Post
I managed to find an electrician with 35 years in the trade so I know he's not turning up with a laptop

Here's another photo of the wire....it's white, and breaks out of a vertical harness behind the console.

No obvious male connectors nearby with witness marks unfortunately.
Is that for the heated seat lights ? Or the light in the cubby ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 23:36   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Is that for the heated seat lights ? Or the light in the cubby ?
Wrong end of the console Mark. Looking at it, it won't even reach the front cig lighter, never mind the bum warmer switches and definitely not the light in the cubby hole.
It's not the auto selector light either as that's a two-terminal thing going onto a bulb holder and comes from the inhibitor switch loom on the side of the gear selector.

I seem to recall seeing a similar stray white wire on mine at some point but never needed to trace it further.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 16:20   #6
russwinchester

The auto electrician who was a lovely chap identified the issue, despite the coil having 12V as soon as it was put under load it was breaking down. So I've binned my new shiny coil and refitted the old one. Bingo, we have spark.

So I've been cruising around today and thoroughly enjoying myself again.

Managed to get the electrician to fix my previously duff frunk light on my old 911 too, so the cost didn't seem quite as hard to bear!

Next question...rear estate glass rubber seals at the waist finisher. Mine have shrunk to about an inch too short at both ends. Is there a good value replacement rather than buying waist finisher assemblies?
The Following User Says Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 18:05   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The auto electrician who was a lovely chap identified the issue, despite the coil having 12V as soon as it was put under load it was breaking down. So I've binned my new shiny coil and refitted the old one. Bingo, we have spark.

So I've been cruising around today and thoroughly enjoying myself again.

Managed to get the electrician to fix my previously duff frunk light on my old 911 too, so the cost didn't seem quite as hard to bear!

Next question...rear estate glass rubber seals at the waist finisher. Mine have shrunk to about an inch too short at both ends. Is there a good value replacement rather than buying waist finisher assemblies?
I didn't know you'd changed the coil previously Russ - they rarely fail on Volvos! If i'd known you'd changed it, i would have suggested it before now.

If it is still shiny and new, chances are it's under warranty so you can return it for a refund.

Glad to hear you're up and running again anyway!

Those rubber finishers you mention, i think i know what you mean but can you put a pic up so i can see exactly?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 19:13   #8
russwinchester

Yes I’ll have to dig the receipt for the coil out…Here’s a pic of the waist finisher I’m talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 785944FA-A65B-4702-94D8-9A9EE9E9CD11.jpg (49.8 KB, 21 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 19:27   #9
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Oooo good ask I need some of that trim for my 960 estate it's on my to do list
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 20:00   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes I’ll have to dig the receipt for the coil out…Here’s a pic of the waist finisher I’m talking about.
I know i haven't got any of those, if memory serves the rubber is glued onto the chrome part. I doubt it's available separately from Volvo but maybe seals'r'us or similar could reproduce it - might actually be worth it if there were enough of us intersted.
Alternatively a similar generic seal might do the job.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: