Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Charging with an extension cable

Views : 6268

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2016, 14:50   #1
aab203

Default Charging with an extension cable

I have a T8 on order and am looking at my charge options at home.

I do not have off-street parking so I would be running a cable from the house to the car. The problem is that the distance from the front of the house to the car is more than 8m. Therefore I have planned to purchase a 13A cable reel to run close to the car and plug the car's charging cable into the extension reel.

I have assumed this would be fine as the extension cable is rated as 13A and accepts up to 3120 Watts. I believe the car only goes up to 10A? However I am no electrician and the official recommendation is not to use an extension cable.

I have asked my council if they would put a charge point on the road, but I don't think that will go anyway. Short of this I don't really have much of a choice but to use an extension cable.

I'd be interested if anyone else has used this method at all and if so whether any problems were experienced?
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 15:10   #2
jimbg
Master Member

How are you going to cross the pavement?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 15:11   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
I have a T8 on order and am looking at my charge options at home.

I do not have off-street parking so I would be running a cable from the house to the car. The problem is that the distance from the front of the house to the car is more than 8m. Therefore I have planned to purchase a 13A cable reel to run close to the car and plug the car's charging cable into the extension reel.

I have assumed this would be fine as the extension cable is rated as 13A and accepts up to 3120 Watts. I believe the car only goes up to 10A? However I am no electrician and the official recommendation is not to use an extension cable.

I have asked my council if they would put a charge point on the road, but I don't think that will go anyway. Short of this I don't really have much of a choice but to use an extension cable.

I'd be interested if anyone else has used this method at all and if so whether any problems were experienced?
I charged off a cable when I was waiting for my POD point at work.

A 13amp rated cable that is fully unwound will work perfectly with the Volvo charger to charge in about 3.5 hours.

The issues I forsee are these:

- The trip hazard of a member of the public tripping over your cable and then taking legal action against you - there should be some 3rd party liability insurance on your house insurance.
- Additionally the council may take exception at you running a cable across the pavement.
- The plug on the volvo charger is a standard indoor 13amp plug. It is designed for plugging in indoors in the dry. If you plug this in outside and leave in the wet then there is a chance of a shock. The rest of the charger is sealed and seems weather proof (I assume IP67 rated but not sure). You could get round this by cutting off the 13amp 3 pin plug and replacing with an IP67 blue outdoor plug and then plugging this in to an appropriate extension lead.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 15:16   #4
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

I use a Masterplug CT1513P/IPS 15 m Extension Lead with In-Line weatherproof Socket all the time as I have a UK T8 but live in France. I swapped the UK 3-pin plug for a European one. I normally only charge on the lowest setting, but it's been no problem on the highest setting if I want a faster charge time.

You can also buy the socket on it's own to wire your own cable. I've done that as well on a short lead with an EU plug to use at public charging stations.

Last edited by FooMan; Jul 25th, 2016 at 15:19. Reason: Spelling
FooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 15:20   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooMan View Post
I use a Masterplug CT1513P/IPS 15 m Extension Lead with In-Line weatherproof Socket all the time as I have a UK T8 but live in France. I swapped the UK 3-pin plug for a European one. I normally only charge on the lowest setting, but it's been no problem on the highest setting.

You can also buy the socket on it's own to wire you own cable. I've done that as well on a short lead also with an EU plug to use at public charging stations.
I think with the British weather I would want more than an IP54 rated socket, I would be looking at IP67, especially if there is a risk that a member of the public might touch it.
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 15:41   #6
aab203

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about an IP rated extension reel - so many thanks for this as it now clearly a must-have!

In terms of minimising risk to people walking /cycling over the cable, I was planning on getting on of those cable ramps (initially a rubber one) that would span the width of the pavement.

My front garden is about 8m, then its an asphalt pavement, then a small grass bit and then the road.

There is a government scheme that part funds the installation of charging points for on-street residential use, but so far no one in the council has any clue about this (judging by the fact that I have not had anyone reply to my enquiry a month ago), which would be my preferred option but as I said previously I won't hold my breath that this comes to fruition.
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 15:53   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Btw, in case you don't know, when you lock the car it locks the plug in to the car, so no one can steal your charger, and if your extension lead is plugged in inside the house then this means it is protected also......
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 17:01   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

For safety reasons the extension cable must be RCD protected. If you have a whole-house RCD fuse box (fairly common these days) this will be good enough. The disadvantage of relying on a whole house fuse-box is that if the extension circuit trips the main fuse box because of damp/rain/snow/etc, the whole house will shut down meaning that your fridge/freezer/ heating could be off for many hours if, say, it happens during the night.

Alternatively, every circuit in the house may have individual RCD protection which is a much better setup but fairly unusual still. (Don't confuse individual trip modules with RCD trip modules, the former act just like old-fashioned fuses and don't offer additional protection.)
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 17:49   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Interfering with a public right of way is just plain selfish.
People manoeuvring pushchairs, wheelchairs, mobility scooters, toddlers, people with visual impairment...... all potentially struggling.
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 17:52   #10
jimbg
Master Member

I would be surprised if you were allowed to have a semi-permanent ramp on the pavement?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote