Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil warning light - odd circumstances.

Views : 1190

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 14:17   #1
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Default Oil warning light - odd circumstances.

Now that I'm on the home straight with the ignition and exhaust, I'm turning my attention to the routine maintenance stuff. First, a bit of background. The car is a 1990 745 with a B200E engine. I bought it over a year ago, and it's been on a SORN for that period. I've only driven it for about 5 miles, but I have run up the engine intermittently. Over the last few days, I've idled the engine for an hour or two each day. This is to clear the engine, and look for any problems prior to its MOT. It idles at about 600 rpm, and I'll adjust that when I've replaced the ignition leads etc. I think the previous owner had started to prepare it for an MOT, but gave up to turn his attention to the restoration of a Morris Minor. It looks as if it has a new air filter, and new very clean oil at the max level. However, the oil filter looks as if it has been repainted. For the last couple of days, the oil warning light has been coming on, and only goes out if I take the revs over 1,200. There is a new oil filter still in its box the came with the car.
What could be causing the warning, and what should I do about it? Obviously, I can't change the filter without changing the oil. The only causes I can think of are - blocked oil ways, a blocked filter, or a failed oil pump. My possible solutions are -

- Run the warm engine at 3,000 revs every day for about 5 minutes.
- Change the oil and the filter.
- Although the vehicle is now insured, I can't run it on the road without a valid MOT.
- Fit an oil pressure gauge, and check the reading at various rev ranges.
- Fit a new oil pump.

What would you do?
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:

Tags
oil warning light, volvo 740