Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 838165

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:58   #6141
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
With that comment in mind Steve, what about a Rover P6 Estoura?

Here's one that sold at auction recently :

https://online.historics.co.uk/lot-d...ver-P6-Estoura

Pretty thin on the ground, only about 160 made so exclusivity is assured and with it, a potential to recover your outlay if/when you come to sell it.

Other than that, back to looking for a half-decent 145 methinks!

Hi Dave,

I think you’ve got a soft spot for a Rover P6, and this morning I witnessed one in the metal, the Unicorn Rocking Horse having a poo….😀

A very nice, ice blue Rover P6 3500s Estoura, driving along the A143 in Rickinghall, Suffolk. Must be local, as within a minute he’d turned round and came back, I managed to remember the plate CAS 941L and seems v5 changed in 2021.

Might see it around some local shows🤞

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 14:13   #6142
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Dave,

I think you’ve got a soft spot for a Rover P6, and this morning I witnessed one in the metal, the Unicorn Rocking Horse having a poo….😀

A very nice, ice blue Rover P6 3500s Estoura, driving along the A143 in Rickinghall, Suffolk. Must be local, as within a minute he’d turned round and came back, I managed to remember the plate CAS 941L and seems v5 changed in 2021.

Might see it around some local shows🤞

Cheers
Steve
You're not wrong Steve, i have a soft spot for most Rovers from the P6 onwards, especially the V8 and V6 versions (excluding the Rover KV6) and the Estoura was something special.

I may be wrong but i believe the name "Estoura" came about because it was based on the 3500S - the "S" denoting syncromesh as it had a manual box - and it was really the "S Tourer" but the letters were manipulated to create a single word, exotic sounding name. As far as i know, it was the only name of a modified body that encompassed the original model and the modification in one word, the Lynx Eventer leaps to mind as the name of the XJ-S estate conversion that bears out my theory although there are many others.

Very rare sighting you had this morning, it sounds as if it was resprayed at some point in a different colour or it could have been an even rarer beast, an Estoura based on one of the dealer-only VIP P6 models. They were a run-out model, given to the top dealers and, while based on the 3500, they came with AC, electric windows, leather upholstery, alloy wheels and Platinum Silver or Brasilia Brown metallic paint. There were other extras but i can't recall them just now but the Platinum silver could look ice blue in certain light conditions including a blue sky above.

That of course would be even rarer than a standard Estoura and out of the original 77 VIP models, not many are left anyway.
However, being on an L reg with a registration date of 1973, we can rule out the VIP option as they were 1977 registered.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 16:00   #6143
Steve 940
Premier Member

For some weird reason this VWW has a strange attraction???

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1696194

Cheers
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 16:57   #6144
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
For some weird reason this VWW has a strange attraction???

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1696194

Cheers
Steve
Cheap ULEZ runabout next year!

VWVWW.😂

Last edited by Moomoo; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 17:00.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 17:54   #6145
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're not wrong Steve, i have a soft spot for most Rovers from the P6 onwards, especially the V8 and V6 versions (excluding the Rover KV6) and the Estoura was something special.

I may be wrong but i believe the name "Estoura" came about because it was based on the 3500S - the "S" denoting syncromesh as it had a manual box - and it was really the "S Tourer" but the letters were manipulated to create a single word, exotic sounding name. As far as i know, it was the only name of a modified body that encompassed the original model and the modification in one word, the Lynx Eventer leaps to mind as the name of the XJ-S estate conversion that bears out my theory although there are many others.

Very rare sighting you had this morning, it sounds as if it was resprayed at some point in a different colour or it could have been an even rarer beast, an Estoura based on one of the dealer-only VIP P6 models. They were a run-out model, given to the top dealers and, while based on the 3500, they came with AC, electric windows, leather upholstery, alloy wheels and Platinum Silver or Brasilia Brown metallic paint. There were other extras but i can't recall them just now but the Platinum silver could look ice blue in certain light conditions including a blue sky above.

That of course would be even rarer than a standard Estoura and out of the original 77 VIP models, not many are left anyway.
However, being on an L reg with a registration date of 1973, we can rule out the VIP option as they were 1977 registered.
That Rover does look fabulous, but I have always liked the estate conversions, that is why I had an 1800ES back in the day. It seemed to be popular during the 50's/60's/70's to make bespoke conversions, I remember seeing a Lynx Eventer in Harrods - in their distinctive corporate colours - which was very smart. Even Rolls-Royce got in on the act with a series of estates being built by H J Mulliner for the American market. https://journal.classiccars.com/2023...on-rear-hatch/ There were also a few built on the Silver Shadow chassis.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 19:53   #6146
Steve 940
Premier Member

Now then, what’s the reserve on this one going to be??

Quite tempted, as this would be an ideal ‘work van’……….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134988731...Bk9SR5CRgfvMYw

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 20:16   #6147
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

Cheers
Steve
£4k+ I’ll bet!
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 20:41   #6148
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Cheers
Steve
Better than the Polo "bread van" Coupe anyway!

I think that's what they called that shape Polo, even though it's not badged as such..................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 21:10   #6149
Steve 940
Premier Member

😀 the bread van would be a nice little runabout as Moomoo suggested, and cheaper than the sardine tin sunroof 245 with a iffy engine.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 21:57   #6150
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
😀 the bread van would be a nice little runabout as Moomoo suggested, and cheaper than the sardine tin sunroof 245 with a iffy engine.

Cheers
Steve
Maybe but a new fuel pump and/or filter and it should be good to go. The bread van might drink less but wouldn't be as comfortable or reliable as the Volvo ultimately would be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: