Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 838246

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread : Roderick Plinge

Old Jun 12th, 2023, 22:19   #5161
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Well done Steve! Good luck and safe journey for tomorrow, we'll all be eagerly awaiting the full report tomorrow evening and don't forget, pics or it hasn't happened!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 22:42   #5162
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Well done Steve! Good luck and safe journey for tomorrow, we'll all be eagerly awaiting the full report tomorrow evening and don't forget, pics or it hasn't happened!
Hi Dave,

I will indeed be giving the transporter hire company a call first thing, I did call last Friday to just check availability, and I think it's out most of next week, so it might be an emergency dash for it, and make up excuses for better half.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 23:29   #5163
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
My observations on Steve's quest is as follows:

The facebook 145 is actually photographed outside the collection premises, which in turn is a respectable modern industrial estate. The car could well have been assessed by the bodyshop and either they or their client decided there was too much work involved.

How I see Steve's requirements is that he wants a project to restore a car and then enjoy the results. If he just wanted a Sunday car to drive on sunny days and service himself he could go out and buy the best example of whatever took his fancy, but my impression is the restoration project is the driving force.

Steve seems to be 'all over the place' regarding the model of car he would seriously look at, but keeps coming back to a 145. Several folks on here have suggested other models may be better, but at the end of the day it comes down to what Steve would enjoy owning - and working on. I suspect that is a 145 and an early one - as that example is. Not the earliest with the one piece chrome grille and split rear side windows, but the next facelift offering with the more luxurious carpetted interior.

When taking on a 'project' the only way to progress is the 'Burdekin' style. Completely strip, fettle and build from there. Buying a scruffy runner presents the problem - how far do I go, how much patina do I retain. This then isn't really a restoration project as such.

My own experience is that I had always wanted a Rolls-Royce and in particular a Silver Cloud III. At the age of 21 I couldn't afford one, but considered a Bentley MKVI would be a very acceptable alternative - I could afford a basket case and could restore to concourse, while saving as work progressed. The Bentley was actually bought from a scrap yard and six years later it was close to concours. After all that work and time spent, I was disappointed as it didn't have a R-R grille - I had ended up with second best and that is not what I wanted. After living with it for four years - ten in total - I sold it and bought the Silver Cloud. I absolutely fell in love with it and kept it for 33 years. that was a good example with full R-R history and then it was a matter of routine servicing and light restoration as and when needed.
I never regretted buying the Bentley, the experience taught me so much and was a means to an end to eventually buy the Rolls.

Sorry to be long winded, but the point I am making is that only Steve knows what he wants and only he knows what is right to buy. I think that 145 is the one he wants.

Edit: whilst I was typing my reply it seems Steve has already booked the train tickets
Hi ITSv40

Well I think you've hit the nail on the head, and I freely admit to being all over the place on what sort of car I'm after.

Top contenders are 145 or a Morris 8 4 seat tourer, in no way could they be remotely described as similar vehicles.

The Burdekin/Julaar approach is exactly what I have had in mind since I was probably 15-16, but life, and funds, or rather lack of, prevented.

I do have reservations that I have the skills, but I'm happy to learn, I'm quite fortunate that my brother in law spent a few years welding for a farm trailer manufacturer, and is providing safe dry storage of project car until the workshop extension is completed

Cars eh!!!

Cheers
Steve
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 01:09   #5164
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
I do have reservations that I have the skills, but I'm happy to learn, I'm quite fortunate that my brother in law spent a few years welding for a farm trailer manufacturer, and is providing safe dry storage of project car until the workshop extension is completed

Cars eh!!!

Cheers
Steve
I honestly don't think we ever stop learning Steve and it's great you're open to learning new skills.
If you can find a frindly scrapyard and buy some damaged panels off them that they couldn't otherwise sell, you could use those for practicing your welding on.

Also invest in a short length of brass rod, about 1-1.5" diameter, it is very useful for helping to weld up small holes!
Make the end very slightly domed so it will fit snugly behind any panel with a small hole in (even one you blew with the welder!) and then go round the edge of the hole, a tack weld at a time until you've filled the hole, working your way to the centre.
The back (usually inaccessible with a grinder or similar) will be smooth (ish) but you'll have to grind and maybe sand the front smooth but it's an easy way of filling a hole.

Also YouTube has a number of restoration people, my favourite is Fitzees Fabrications, who give tips, show you easy ways of doing things and so on, all useful stuff and i've improved my welding considerably with several of his ideas/tips - so much so i had a compliment on my welding from the MoT tester, much better than my original efforts that drew references about Trafalgar Square and pigeons!

I'm sure others on here will give you useful ideas as well but there's nothing like actually seeing it done to really understand the meaning of it all.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 06:05   #5165
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
My observations on Steve's quest is as follows:

The facebook 145 is actually photographed outside the collection premises, which in turn is a respectable modern industrial estate. The car could well have been assessed by the bodyshop and either they or their client decided there was too much work involved.

How I see Steve's requirements is that he wants a project to restore a car and then enjoy the results. If he just wanted a Sunday car to drive on sunny days and service himself he could go out and buy the best example of whatever took his fancy, but my impression is the restoration project is the driving force.

Steve seems to be 'all over the place' regarding the model of car he would seriously look at, but keeps coming back to a 145. Several folks on here have suggested other models may be better, but at the end of the day it comes down to what Steve would enjoy owning - and working on. I suspect that is a 145 and an early one - as that example is. Not the earliest with the one piece chrome grille and split rear side windows, but the next facelift offering with the more luxurious carpetted interior.

When taking on a 'project' the only way to progress is the 'Burdekin' style. Completely strip, fettle and build from there. Buying a scruffy runner presents the problem - how far do I go, how much patina do I retain. This then isn't really a restoration project as such...

... Sorry to be long winded, but the point I am making is that only Steve knows what he wants and only he knows what is right to buy. I think that 145 is the one he wants.

Edit: whilst I was typing my reply it seems Steve has already booked the train tickets
Most erudite; I think your observations have captured the essence of the situation perfectly.

I'm really pleased Steve has taken the plunge
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 06:09   #5166
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Dave,

I will indeed be giving the transporter hire company a call first thing, I did call last Friday to just check availability, and I think it's out most of next week, so it might be an emergency dash for it, and make up excuses for better half.

Cheers
Steve
Well done Steve.

Is the motorcar still a driver (I don't have Facebook, so I can't really see the ad properly)? Even if it is, I'd still recommend collecting it with a trailer (although I thought BB's suggestion of driving it until the RAC take over was appealing also).

Old Jun 13th, 2023, 08:21   #5167
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I honestly don't think we ever stop learning Steve and it's great you're open to learning new skills.
If you can find a frindly scrapyard and buy some damaged panels off them that they couldn't otherwise sell, you could use those for practicing your welding on.

Also invest in a short length of brass rod, about 1-1.5" diameter, it is very useful for helping to weld up small holes!
Make the end very slightly domed so it will fit snugly behind any panel with a small hole in (even one you blew with the welder!) and then go round the edge of the hole, a tack weld at a time until you've filled the hole, working your way to the centre.
The back (usually inaccessible with a grinder or similar) will be smooth (ish) but you'll have to grind and maybe sand the front smooth but it's an easy way of filling a hole.

Also YouTube has a number of restoration people, my favourite is Fitzees Fabrications, who give tips, show you easy ways of doing things and so on, all useful stuff and i've improved my welding considerably with several of his ideas/tips - so much so i had a compliment on my welding from the MoT tester, much better than my original efforts that drew references about Trafalgar Square and pigeons!

I'm sure others on here will give you useful ideas as well but there's nothing like actually seeing it done to really understand the meaning of it all.
Cheers Dave,

Good points on the spare panels to practice, I have a feeling I may need it.....

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 08:31   #5168
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well done Steve.

Is the motorcar still a driver (I don't have Facebook, so I can't really see the ad properly)? Even if it is, I'd still recommend collecting it with a trailer (although I thought BB's suggestion of driving it until the RAC take over was appealing also).

Hi Alan,

Yes I believe it is described as a runner, but how far it will run is another matter😀😀

Pity, as hire co has their transporter out till Tues 20th, so will pick up the van 4pm Tues afternoon, then down to Poole overnight, and a gentle trundle back the following day. Hopefully not leaving too much of a rust trail in my wake😀😀

Will need to sort out a small holding deposit to the vendor, so it doesn't end up elsewhere.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 09:54   #5169
Moomoo
VOC Member

If it runs, that’s promising, at least.

Looking forward to hearing all about it!!!👍
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 12:20   #5170
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
If it runs, that’s promising, at least.

Looking forward to hearing all about it!!!👍
Gulp, deposit now paid....... at least it seems to have disappeared from FB Marketplace, so that's hopefully a good sign.

Hotel & van booked to pick up next Tues afternoon, might even get time for a paddle fingers crossed, and trying to manage my expectations...

Expect the worst and all that, then you can't be too disappointed

Cheers
Steve