Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 battery and Stop/Start

Views : 1650

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 19:33   #1
thisisbeaker

Default XC90 battery and Stop/Start

Hi all. Stop/Start hasn't worked for a while on my XC90 but then a couple of months ago, I started getting a "Stop/Start Service Required". Got Volvo East London to check it as part of latest annual service. Diagnosed a replacement auxiliary battery and that main battery was low so they charged it overnight. Perhaps unsurprisingly S/S still not working. Wary of throwing more money at it, but will happily change main battery. Any tips on doing a DIY job replacing it? Euro car parts have an offer for a Bosch S4 (4yr guarantee) for £144. Or a Lion 017 (3yr guarantee) for £89. Is a Bosch worth the extra?

Previously: XC90 MY16 D5 R-Design, Bursting Blue, Winter/Xenium/BLIS
thisisbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 20:22   #2
Shepherdspie

I had exactly the same fault on my V60 - Stop/Start Service Required but also had issues with reverse sensors. Local dealer said that the main battery was low and that I ideally needed to leave it with them overnight. Not really an option so bought a smart charger from Halfords and left it to charge over a few hours during the day (until it was finished). Not had a warning since. Perchance do you only drive short distances a lot? In my honest opinion, always buy the best you can afford. An extra years warranty for only £54 and Bosch (which are renowned good batteries), sounds like a no brainer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shepherdspie For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 22:44   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbeaker View Post
Hi all. Stop/Start hasn't worked for a while on my XC90 but then a couple of months ago, I started getting a "Stop/Start Service Required". Got Volvo East London to check it as part of latest annual service. Diagnosed a replacement auxiliary battery and that main battery was low so they charged it overnight. Perhaps unsurprisingly S/S still not working. Wary of throwing more money at it, but will happily change main battery. Any tips on doing a DIY job replacing it? Euro car parts have an offer for a Bosch S4 (4yr guarantee) for £144. Or a Lion 017 (3yr guarantee) for £89. Is a Bosch worth the extra?
In all the 11 years stop start has been out I have never heard of the Auxiliary battery failing , it leads an easy life .

What you need to do is charge the main battery for at least 48 hours to desulphate it . it will generally recover then as long as you use the car regularly .. It has probably not been used much the last 18 months ... It wont charge properly by driving the car it needs those 48 hours on charge ...
If you do buy a battery for whatever reason always get a dealer quote first , they are competitive ..
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 00:58   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

How to change your battery, https://youtu.be/GQ1SGYY0lUE
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 12:06   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
In all the 11 years stop start has been out I have never heard of the Auxiliary battery failing , it leads an easy life .

What you need to do is charge the main battery for at least 48 hours to desulphate it . it will generally recover then as long as you use the car regularly .. It has probably not been used much the last 18 months ... It wont charge properly by driving the car it needs those 48 hours on charge ...
If you do buy a battery for whatever reason always get a dealer quote first , they are competitive ..
My stop start never worked for more than a few days from the car being brand new, it only worked after charging overnight and then only for a day or so, the car always started on the button, after two years of complaining and at the second service and mentioning again stop start only lasted a few days after they had had the car overnight again, they rang me to say the AGM battery was faulty and not holding enough charge for the stop start to work.

The battery was replaced under warranty, they did not say which battery was replaced but stop start has worked ever since, at the time several people on here had reported a faulty batch of AGM batteries and having theirs replaced. Mine was replaced three years ago though and the car was built 5 years ago and the reports of the faulty batch started shortly after.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 12:30   #6
thisisbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

Hmmmm, now slightly suspicious about the diagnosis of a faulty auxiliary battery being the reason for the S/S not working. Will look into getting a charger (one I have only suitable for batteries for cars up to 1600cc). Quote from dealer is £306 which seems a bit steep?

Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 12:43   #7
thisisbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
How to change your battery, https://youtu.be/GQ1SGYY0lUE
Thanks for this - really helpful step by step guide. My only question would be whether it is absolutely essential to connect a 12v supply to keep the computer's memory "alive"?

Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 16:10   #8
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbeaker View Post
Hmmmm, now slightly suspicious about the diagnosis of a faulty auxiliary battery being the reason for the S/S not working. Will look into getting a charger (one I have only suitable for batteries for cars up to 1600cc). Quote from dealer is £306 which seems a bit steep?
Ref the suitability of your existing charger. The manufacter's comment about only suitable for up to 1600 cc is bull. Put simply it will just take longer. Obviously other aspects of the charger do have to be taken into account

Tags
battery cost, battery replaced, xc90 2016