Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Permanent live 12v supply

Views : 9410

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 14:40   #1
XC70Mark
"Custom User Title"

Default Permanent live 12v supply

Hi all

Thinking of getting a Blackvue dashcam for the Volvo, but it would need to be hardwired to the car electrics.

I know there's several fuse boxes in the dash and elsewhere but does anybody know if there's a constant 12v supply somewhere, even if the ignition is switched off and the car is locked via remote?

I seem to remember the boot ciggy socket is always live?

Ideally there'd be a feed straight from the fuse box either in the passenger footwell or, more preferably, the drivers side dash...
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 14:45   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

Ciggy lighter/power point in rear cargo area is a constant live. Just a thought, is the +ve contact point under the plastic housing by the air cleaner also a constant live?

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 14:52   #3
XC70Mark
"Custom User Title"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Ciggy lighter/power point in rear cargo area is a constant live. Just a thought, is the +ve contact point under the plastic housing by the air cleaner also a constant live?
It could well be...

I'm not in the UK at the moment so can't nip out with the multimeter and check

Looking at the manual the cargo socket has it's own fuse back there, I could always just splice into that downstream of the fuse and run it up into the roof liner and up to the rear view mirror area where it would need to emerge...

How easy is it to get access up there I wonder? Don't fancy loose cables rattling around just above my head...
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 15:35   #4
V70Craig

Isn't the hazard lights switch permanent live too?
V70Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 15:50   #5
ASt85
Premier Member

Thanks V70Craig - It must be - what a cracking idea!
I must admit I hadn't thought of using it as a constant +ve.

Where would you access it from? The live +ve side of the dash switch? If so, what a usable point that would be!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 16:47   #6
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Vanity mirror if you have one, there may be a live one in there
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 17:09   #7
V70Craig

I would assume the hazard switch is a simple +/- set up, but I couldn't say for certain as I've not had mine out.
Hopefully someone will be along soon to confirm either way if it is useable
V70Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 21:54   #8
Pandamedic
Master Member

Why are you hardwiring it to the electrics?

I've got a Blackvue HD cam and it comes with a 12v cig socket. If you only want it to record whilst driving plug it into any of the cig sockets and it'll start when you turn the ignition on. If you haven't got the cig power lead you can buy these.

If you want to to record for a set time after you've switched you car off though, then the best thing is to get a blackvue power magic. I've got one of these and you can set it to record for a certain length of time after the ignition is switched off. It also comes with a voltage detector so depending what voltage you get it at it'll also power the cam down one you reach the determined voltage so you don't drain your car battery.

If that is what you want to do then it's pretty easy. I've got the power lead connected to the battery with an inline fuse and then the switch lead for the power magic plugged into one of the fuse points in the rear cargo area. Can't remember which one, but i'll go take a look at which one i used 2moro for ya.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 22:26   #9
Sej

Hi V70Mark,

I’m glad you started this thread, I’ve just bought a BlackVue DR400G V2 and want to hardwire it too.

I’m planning on running the power lead from the rear view mirror area down to the driver’s side fuse box, the one by the door, I’ve bought a piggy back fuse holder and was going to use one of the two screws that hold the fuse box to the chassis as a neg connection, but like you, don’t know which fuse is permanent live.

http://imgur.com/a/IrPDQ

Hope somebody else has fitted one and can offer some advice :-)
Sej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sej For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 14:30   #10
V70RMW
Master Member

There is a permanent live feed to the stereo, which I have wired my ipod adapter into. Big red wire in the stereo connecting block behind the unit.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote