Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 used purchase (2018-2021)

Views : 343

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2024, 13:32   #1
CyDriver

Default XC90 used purchase (2018-2021)

Dear Volvo friends,

I am looking into buying a second hand XC90 and I have noticed that the model changed at 2021 having new trims etc.

I am more interested to learn which models/trims are reliable based on your experience. More inclined towards a D5 engine as I have heard it is one of the most reliable ones, however I don't know how sluggish it is for such a massive car.

I am confused though in terms of which engines are supplied at 2018 and 2021. This thread is meant to provide more knowledge about the different engines and their reliability.
CyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 14:45   #2
CocoPops
VOC Member

D5 was until 2019 iirc... I had a B5D and that was December 2019.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 15:43   #3
Lexman8
Premier Member

Specs and prices for MY19 and MY21 attached. These show the changeover to the engine line-ups. There can also be internediate MY changes (usually minor) so you could get a MY20.5 spec.

Note that Volvo model years don't correspond to calendar years so, for example, an MY19 model went on sale around May 2018 in the UK.
_
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo-XC90-MY19.pdf (1.15 MB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf Volvo-XC90-MY21-edition-2.pdf (1.48 MB, 9 views)
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 17:18   #4
CyDriver

Smile

Thanks a lot guys, and especially Lexman for providing the specs.

Is there a reason they engines are now called B5(D) instead of D5? Did something change? Looking at the specs, the performance values are exactly the same.

In addition, would someone choose T8 over a D5? I presume T8 is not a mild-hybrid so once the battery is depleted, it is like carrying extra weight. Does this mean that its original mpg efficiency might be worse than the D5? Unless, the T8 can recharge the battery like a mild-hybrid can do and somebody could drive that without sacrificing fuel-efficiency.

Thanks again!
CyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 17:33   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyDriver View Post
Thanks a lot guys, and especially Lexman for providing the specs.

Is there a reason they engines are now called B5(D) instead of D5? Did something change? Looking at the specs, the performance values are exactly the same.

In addition, would someone choose T8 over a D5? I presume T8 is not a mild-hybrid so once the battery is depleted, it is like carrying extra weight. Does this mean that its original mpg efficiency might be worse than the D5? Unless, the T8 can recharge the battery like a mild-hybrid can do and somebody could drive that without sacrificing fuel-efficiency.

Thanks again!
The T8 is a plug in hybrid, not a mild hybrid. Yes it charges as you go along, and also from the mains. Depending on which battery spec depends on how much electric range you get.

I would suggest if you want reliability then petrol is better than diesel. Although for big miles diesel is more economical.

Please also note that D5 is a badge, not an engine. A 2019 D5 XC90 does not have the same engine as a 2015 D5 Volvo.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 17:42   #6
garethXC

My MY22 is a B5D ( 2ltr diesel with mild hybrid tech) - its not the most powerful ( 235bhp?) and limited to 112mph but fully loaded with 'stuff' and 2x dogs on a long run we get about 45 to 47 mpg ( real world not lie-ometer) and is rapid enough, a bit of a diesel growl but fairly quiet on the m/way and A roads. Avoid anything with alloys over 20".
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2024, 10:01   #7
CanaryYellow

To offer an alternative view..... I have a B5P Inscription Pro with 21 inch alloys and air suspension. I'm very happy with the ride.

To answer the original question, I don't think there is a bad engine. Choose the one that suits your usage.

I do a fair few short journeys so the diesel was out and I wasn't a fan of the sound of a 4 cylinder diesel coming out of a 6 cylinder BMW, then the spectre of ERAD issues put me off the T8 (as well as cost). I would have been looking at a 4 year old car rather than a 2 year old with the B5P.

I wanted the B5P over the T5 - time will tell if that was a good choice. Haven't seen many issues on here with the T5, but Philip of course had a big one with his T8 (which has the T6 ICE I think), so you never know. The B5P is only about 3.5 years old so quite early to say whether it's going to have major issues in later life.

I'd work on the basis the B5D is about 8-10 mpg more efficient than the B5P (maybe less if you do a lot of short journeys?). I don't do enough miles for that to bother me (c.8000 per annum which is about £300 difference over a year).
CanaryYellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, 2021, diesel, xc90