Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027613

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2022, 06:07   #3671
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The barge is older than 1986 anyway so it isn't an MOT failure and more than legal to use LED's, I personally would take it to get the beam pattern checked to ensure you aren't blinding others on the road but you're absolutely fine to use them.

My 940 however would be a big no no, however I can't see properly at night with my glow worm headlights so I think the original halogen bulbs are much more dangerous than some led bulbs that are setup correctly.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 06:23   #3672
360beast
Go redblock or go home

https://classicandsportscar.com/news...s-legal-or-not

No mention that Alan has to use E marked bulbs in his car because the headlights are E marked.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 06:32   #3673
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
The barge is older than 1986 anyway so it isn't an MOT failure and more than legal to use LED's, I personally would take it to get the beam pattern checked to ensure you aren't blinding others on the road but you're absolutely fine to use them.

My 940 however would be a big no no, however I can't see properly at night with my glow worm headlights so I think the original halogen bulbs are much more dangerous than some led bulbs that are setup correctly.
Our expectations move on quickly Luke. When halogen lamps became available they were the bee's knees (compared with the incandescent bulbs that preceded), now are things that are much better so they seem poor.

I'll be setting up the LED lights against the garage door the way I nearly always do. If they are exactly the same as the halogen lights that passed the MoT last week they will be absolutely fine.

That doesn't help you and your 940 much. I rather suspect you wouldn't have any problems with LED headlamps, and I'm certainly not advocating that you do anything illegal but it only takes 5 minutes to swap than back to halogen bulbs once per year.

Alan

PS. I wonder whether the 'E4' logo from the product's packaging refers to an E mark granted in the Netherlands, or if it is a similar but not the same graphic used in Hong Kong?

... I think I'll keep the box the bulbs came in with the spare bulbs and fuses in the offside well of the boot - just in case there is a query :-).

Last edited by Othen; Nov 6th, 2022 at 07:02. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 06:50   #3674
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
https://classicandsportscar.com/news...s-legal-or-not

No mention that Alan has to use E marked bulbs in his car because the headlights are E marked.
Thank you Luke, that is very helpful. If I ever get the Barge MoT tested again I may print a copy... just in case.

Last edited by Othen; Nov 6th, 2022 at 07:02.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 07:17   #3675
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Being Chinese that e4 will mean nothing in the real world and will be used as a fake e mark to dupe people. But you don't need to worry about an e mark with the barge so keep on motoring in well lit bliss, another day in paradise as you would say.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 07:49   #3676
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Being Chinese that e4 will mean nothing in the real world and will be used as a fake e mark to dupe people. But you don't need to worry about an e mark with the barge so keep on motoring in well lit bliss, another day in paradise as you would say.
I rather suspect you are right Luke. It is a safety net for me though, if this was to be taken to its ridiculous end and the CPS tried to convict me of an offence it would be incredibly unlikely to convince a magistrate that I had not acted in good faith because of that mark :-).
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 09:42   #3677
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Well that's a bugger, the 940 does indeed illuminate the BFU light if a headlight bulb is unplugged. I would have to fit resistors inline to fit an LED bulb in to it.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 10:19   #3678
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Well that's a bugger, the 940 does indeed illuminate the BFU light if a headlight bulb is unplugged. I would have to fit resistors inline to fit an LED bulb in to it.
... probably not Luke, I don't think your car has a CANBUS arrangement, so as long as you have complete circuits for both headlamps that should work. The impedance of the LEDs will be much greater than a similar halogen or incandescent bulb (hence it will draw much less current - that is the issue, not resistance being too low).

I don't know whether your 940 has the same arrangement for the bulb failure system as does the Barge Luke, but as you may see from this diagram the 240 has a pretty chunky electrical system in this respect:

... no computers here, nothing measuring current, it is just checking for complete circuits (a bit like an RCD does). As long as there is a working bulb fitted and drawing a sensible current it shouldn't give an error.

Alan

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Nov 6th, 2022 at 10:34.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 10:27   #3679
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I rather suspect you are right Luke. It is a safety net for me though, if this was to be taken to its ridiculous end and the CPS tried to convict me of an offence it would be incredibly unlikely to convince a magistrate that I had not acted in good faith because of that mark :-).
Luke is spot on Alan, you have no worries about using LED headlamp bulbs in the Barge or GAM (or your bikes either).

As for E-marked bulbs, biggest load of bolony going - invented by bulb mnaufacturers to sell more of their own bulbs way back when. Sadly some people believed the bulbs also had to be E-marked but its very difficult not only to produce bulbs to a specific standard but for them to maintain that standard for the simple reason incandescent bulbs blacken the glass envelope as they work, reducing the light output.

The local police round here use Nightbreakers but have to replace them every 2 months as the light output has reduced so much - they're only brighter when new because the filament burns hotter which obviously increases the rate the glass envelope blackens.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 10:33   #3680
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... probably not Luke, I don't think your car has a CANBUS arrangement, so as long as you have complete circuits for both headlamps that should work. The impedance of the LEDs will be much greater than a similar halogen or incandescent bulb (hence it will draw much less current - that is the issue, not resistance being too low).

Alan

:-)
I'm surprised the 940 BFU monitors the headlamps Luke but as Alan suggests and as i told you last night, the BFU is looking for balance between left and right so as long as the two LED headlamp bulbs draw the same current then the BFU lamp will remain off. Also did you switch to headlamps and not just sidelights? On dim-dip it may cause more of a problem than normal dip.

I'd say try the LED headlamp bulbs before deciding the BFU is triggered by them

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: