Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

K Jetronic and a bit of an intro

Views : 1369

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2015, 21:27   #1
CWXC70

Default K Jetronic and a bit of an intro

Hello everyone,

First post despite being registered a year or so now.

Unfortunately my username reflects a car I now hate with a vengeance, a 2006 XC70 with a whole load of issues that I no longer have the patience to want to fix and even if I did I doubt I'd trust it to get me any further than my bicycle. Roll on about a year of it being parked up while I decide it's fate and me using my Land Rover and I'm back to Volvo ownership, my fourth now, a 1988 240 GLT with a healthy 260k on it (run in). It is actually a car that has had a little air time on here already, a baby blue GLT previously owned by GraveAvenger

Basically I've done what I should have done a year ago and gone for a simple car that wears it's heart on it's sleeve with nothing much in the way of computer systems and nothing much to go wrong.I learned to drive and took my test in a 1978 245DL so it seems right to return to a good honest 240. The 850 T5 was fun, the V70 TDi was sensible, now for a proper keeper because I hate the XC70

Which brings me to my question about K Jetronic. Last time I had a car with K Jet was in the late 80's when I knew not a lot about fixing things. Now my abilities have improved somewhat but I was wondering on the universal opinion on K Jet, given that spares availability may be tenuous and with other options available, can the K Jet car be kept running reasonably successfully or should I plan on fitting something else if it goes pearshaped?

cheers,

Colin
CWXC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CWXC70 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 21:43   #2
stephend
Premier Member

K-Jet is simple and reliable, so I wouldn't have too many worries on that score.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 11:07   #3
leftfootleashed
Perma-scarred Knuckles

It has it's quirks but it seems to be generally quite reliable. There's nothing that can't be tracked down and fixed with sound logic and patience.
The Following User Says Thank You to leftfootleashed For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 18:06   #4
BrianH
VOC Member

Default CI and water

My CI system worked well for 15 years on my 245 GL 1989

Then I had a corrosion problem on the petrol tank and water contaminated the whole CI system.

The only solution is replacement pump, distributor and air meter

All this can be got quite reasonably from breakers such as T J Stone

I run on LPG but need the security of a switch over as it difficult to get a can of gas

BrianH 568 983 mls
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 18:22   #5
CWXC70

LPG conversion be on the horizon for me as I run my Land Rover 110 on gas so I'm used to the routine. That's on Megasquirt so that I have two ignition maps, one for each fuel. Works well.

How have you worked out your gas delivery? I use a BLOS propane carb on the 110
CWXC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 18:36   #6
tannachyallen
240SE

I used to have a V70XC which was a lovely car but once the gearbox started playing up and going into 'limp home mode' it became very unpredicatble and a reconditioned box was more than I'd originally paid for the car. Life with my present 240 is much simpler and more reliable...........

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 21:37   #7
volvo always
Premier Member

I have owned my 1989 240 GLT automatic for at least 5 years probably a bit more and it had 159,000 on the clock then and now just over 210,000 and not had any issues with the B230E engine running K jet.
Only issues I have had have been age/wear items mostly gearbox. Things like auto cooler pipe holed, and rear tail housing (bearing worn) on the AW70 leaking which I have had fixed. Then just normal service items. Best car I have owned and only cost me £350 to buy.

James
volvo always is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:11   #8
AndrewBrown

Of all the bosch systems i have fixed K jetronic is by far the most reliable system ever no driven parts apart from the pump it all works on mass air flow only using a circular flap just dont open the metering head, as it goes i give it 11 out of 10
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:20   #9
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Mines a B200e so k-jet too. I bought it 2003 with 148-ish K miles. Now on 213-ish K miles.
Had lots ofwear and tear stuff to do over the years.
The only issue I've had with the fuel delivery system is worn injector seals causing an air leak and lumpy idle.
Seals can be had for about 20 quid from Volvo, fairly easy to do. If I was you and if you dont know if the seals have been replaced, do them anyway on one of that age, they'll be on last legs if original......
But K-jet, yeh, rock solid
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:32   #10
B00TS

K-Jetronic = bombproof!

I ran it on a VW/Audi 2.0L 5-cylinder for 20 years and 250,000 miles. As Paul says, the only thing that failed in all that time was the o-rings that hold the injectors into the manifold.

The rest of the system put up with ridiculous amounts of abuse: dirty fuel, very inquisitive young mechanic, lots of blow by in the crankcase meaning the air flow meter usually had to battle half a pint of oil spashing around.

It never missed a beat and had the nicest throttle response I've ever come across to boot. Not sure if it was just the VW tank design but if you kept your right foot light, it would keep going until the very last teaspoon of fuel to help you on those 'skint' days!

Can't recommend it highly enough...

Boots.

1997 V70 2.5TDI 290k - Sent on to pastures new!
B00TS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B00TS For This Useful Post: