Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bleeding brakes?

Views : 832

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2013, 21:08   #1
Davey240

Smile Bleeding brakes?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what your thoughts are. I have owned my 240GL for almost 15 years and it now has 63k on the clock. I`m ashamed to say that other than changing the pads i`ve never done any other work on the brakes i.e. not changed the brake fluid!. I know that it should be done but i`m a little concerned after reading some of the previous posts that i`m going to make a whole lot of bother for myself e.g. rounding or snapping seized bleed nipples and then needing new calipers etc. So what are your thoughts should i change the fluid or leave well alone?
Thanks a lot.

Dave
Davey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 21:36   #2
Eddy Matthews
VOC Member

You should certainly think about changing the brake fluid as it's hygroscopic, ie it absorbs water over time.... This lowers the boiling point of the fluid which can result in total brake failure in the worst cases!

Of course there's a chance that bleed nipples may snap off etc if things haven't been moved for some time, but that would be a small price to pay for your or your families lives!

Regards
Eddy
Eddy Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddy Matthews For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 22:24   #3
john h
VOC Member

Agreed.

To give you the best chance, clean all of the bleed nipples thoroughly with a wire brush, then apply a WD40 several times over the course of a week before you try to undo them.

And to avoid immobilising the car, check all nipples will move before you release the fluid

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 09:44   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Don't drain out the fluid, just connect a tube to each bleed nipple in turn and pump until the fluid runs clear. that way you never have to actually bleed them.

Tips:

1) NEVER pump the pedal down any further than you do in normal braking. Do a series of small movements to bleed the brakes. Best of all is to use an Easibleed with very low pressure and just open each nipple in turn.
Obviously remember to keep topping up the reservoir.

2) As well as soaking the threads in advance, use a proper brake spanner or a ring spanner. Apply a bit of force, up to the point before it feels as if it will either turn or snap, and then hit the nipple smartly end-on with a hammer. This usually shocks free any rust, without risk of snapping the nipple.

If you do snap off a brake nipple it's not a disaster - you can slacken a hose joint and bleed out old fluid from there.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 10:57   #5
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

One extra tip - when just cracking the bleed nipples loose, use a 6 sided 1/4" drive socket (8mm) and tweak them in the tightening direction - barely even a millimeter, and then change to loosen and hold the socket on nice an square on the bleed nipple.

Once they have cracked undone, they will easily undo with a normal spanner.
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve and his 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 14:18   #6
mikecoppicegreen

Long time since I bled the brakes on a 240!

If I was changing the fluid:-

1) there are 10 bleed nipples on the thing IIRC. It's going to take some time.
2) get proper releasing fluid - not WD40 - from the motor factors, and douse the nipples several times over the course of a week before you attempt this.
3) a good quality socket fitting the nipples is much less likely to break things, a good ring spanner can also be helpful.
4) this is not a job without risk. There is likely to be muck and corrosion in the system, and it's possible that you will disturb a seal in this process. In most cases that's fine, because the brakes are dual circuit, but the master cylinder can fail and leave you without brakes ( ask me how I know ). You may want to consider inspecting the inside of the master cylinder ( and fitting a new seal kit ) as part of this job, if it's not been done for a good few years.
5) make sure you have plenty of fluid to run through.
6) The haynes manual suggests an order for bleeding the brakes, if I remember rightly. If not, personally, I'd start from the back.
7) if you use a vacuum bleeder ( Machine mart sell one ), then you can suffer from air entering the system around the bleed nipple threads. A little grease on the threads can prevent this ( but it's best not to get grease below the threads ). The advantage of the vacuum bleeder is that you don't need to pump the pedal much at all, and it becomes a single person job.
8) syphon out the contents of the reservoir before you start - wipe out the sediment (if any) as well.

Take your time with it.

Best

Mike
mikecoppicegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikecoppicegreen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 15:18   #7
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

There are 8 bleed nipples, 3 on each front caliper, and 1 on each rear.

haynes bleeding order is:

1) N/S rear
2) N/S front upper inner
3) O/S front upper inner
4) O/S rear
5) O/S front inner lower and outer simultaneously
6) N/S front inner lower and outer simultaneously

Steve
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve and his 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 22:08   #8
Davey240

Thanks guys for all your words of wisdom and useful tips. Looks like changing the brake fluid is on the to do list once the weather warms up a bit. I must admit its not a job i`m looking forward to as i did once before about 25 years ago on a T reg 244 i had at the time. I did it the old way with me on the nipples ( pardon the pun ) and my brother on the pedal and i remember it being a nightmare!. Mind you i was a lot younger and inexperienced then so hopefully with all your advice and an Eezi bleed kit i should be better prepared this time. Thanks again for all your help,

Dave
Davey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davey240 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 13:00   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Pressure bleeding is also a one-man job. Don't use too much pressure - just a bit more than gravity.

I think the sequence is important only if bleeding an empty system from scratch.
If you are simply bleeding off dirty fluid I don't see how the sequence matters - at each nipple you just bleed off all old fluid in that particular run. By the time you have done each one, the entire system will be fresh.

Perhaps it's a good idea to press each piston back into the caliper in turn as you bleed that nipple. It would ensure that you flush out the whole cylinder, not just the fluid in the upper section of the chamber.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: