Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted - Classic Volvo 200 Series

Views : 16523

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2016, 15:02   #31
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

There's no doubt in my mind that any club or forum member who wished to sell their car will be better off selling via a website such as carandclassic.co.uk, rather than either sell to a dealer or even allow a sale on consignment - that is if they are not successful in selling on this forum.

The majority of Volvo's (200s, 300s, 700s) do not command very high prices in the market at the moment* - for example, what price would a truly immaculate 244 or 245 GLT command? Let's suggest a range of £2000 to £3500, if this is the case (and it's just an illustration) then a trader would want to buy that car for no more that £1000 to £2000 I would guess.

Yes, and someone stated the obvious that they're in business! Sell to a dealer and you're asking for a mugging. If a dealer wants to buy a car then they can surely search like anyone else would?

And wouldn't you rather buy your next classic Volvo from the owner rather than a dealer?

Jon
700/900 Register Keeper VOC.

N.B to take up Dai's comment I think it is actually quite easy to give some price indicators.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jan 9th, 2016 at 15:05. Reason: addition - N.B
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 13:30   #32
KGF1
KGF Classic Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1Stu View Post
I personally don't mind these fishing expeditions by dealers, as I realise getting quality stock is always a challenge. And a tie up could benefit both parties.

However, it would be nice to get an idea of the price range KGF are prepared to offer for an outright buy. Personally, I'm not keen on the 'give us a call and we'll ask you how much you want for it' approach. Negotiating strategy and all that.

As an example, I've a 62,000 late model 240GLT estate (last of the high compression engine, recessed rear window examples - you can work out the year). Silver with black leather. Still has the black covers on the chrome wheel nuts. All original paint. No rust, no dents, no rips in the leather / headlining - nor scuffs on the bumpers

What is the price range you'd offer to buy it? Of course I realise you would need to see it (hence reference to price range) - but lets say it's condition one verging on concours.

Can you give me and others a better idea of what you'd potentially offer?

Nice web site and stock by the way.

Stuart
Hi Stuart

Yes you are right, getting good quality stock to sell is a challenge! We find that enthusiasts of a particular marque and club members tend to own prime examples and the ones we like to buy!

Price guides are helpful and there are many found in the back of classic car magazines but we value each car on an individual basis and look to make an offer based on a good chat and personal inspection. If the owner is happy with the price then we proceed with the purchase in a simple, straight forward manner.

Thank you for the positive feedback on our website and stock!

Karl
KGF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 13:48   #33
KGF1
KGF Classic Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that any club or forum member who wished to sell their car will be better off selling via a website such as carandclassic.co.uk, rather than either sell to a dealer or even allow a sale on consignment - that is if they are not successful in selling on this forum.

The majority of Volvo's (200s, 300s, 700s) do not command very high prices in the market at the moment* - for example, what price would a truly immaculate 244 or 245 GLT command? Let's suggest a range of £2000 to £3500, if this is the case (and it's just an illustration) then a trader would want to buy that car for no more that £1000 to £2000 I would guess.

Yes, and someone stated the obvious that they're in business! Sell to a dealer and you're asking for a mugging. If a dealer wants to buy a car then they can surely search like anyone else would?

And wouldn't you rather buy your next classic Volvo from the owner rather than a dealer?

Jon
700/900 Register Keeper VOC.

N.B to take up Dai's comment I think it is actually quite easy to give some price indicators.

Hi Jon

Thank you for your observations. You are right, sometimes the owner of a cherished classic car would prefer to sell privately and that selling your car to KGF Classic Cars may not suit everyone for a number of reasons which could include:

1. Not knowing who the next owner of your car is
2. Feeling you have sold the car for less than it is worth
3. You enjoy selling cars!
4. Not agreeing with the principal of a business earning a profit

There are a number of owners who sell cars to us and some of the reasons for this are:

1. Avoiding dealing with potential buyers who do not proceed with the purchase or never had any intention of buying the car!
2. Strangers viewing the car at your home address
3. Avoiding uninsured test drives
4. Avoiding the money scams
5. Lack of time

Another option is our Commission Sale service if you are not content with our cash offer. I found this forum post from a customer we sold a car for which will give you a useful insight into the concerns and the eventual outcome.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/he...opic80437.html

To conclude, we love cars and our customers normally love cars too! (Please see our Facebook page to help prove this! Here is the link - http://www.facebook.com/KGFClassiccars

It would be great to hear from some Volvo owners.

Best regards

Karl
01733 425140
07976 935046
Old Apr 16th, 2016, 12:40   #34
KGF1
KGF Classic Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGF1 View Post
Hi Jon

Thank you for your observations. You are right, sometimes the owner of a cherished classic car would prefer to sell privately and that selling your car to KGF Classic Cars may not suit everyone for a number of reasons which could include:

1. Not knowing who the next owner of your car is
2. Feeling you have sold the car for less than it is worth
3. You enjoy selling cars!
4. Not agreeing with the principal of a business earning a profit

There are a number of owners who sell cars to us and some of the reasons for this are:

1. Avoiding dealing with potential buyers who do not proceed with the purchase or never had any intention of buying the car!
2. Strangers viewing the car at your home address
3. Avoiding uninsured test drives
4. Avoiding the money scams
5. Lack of time

Another option is our Commission Sale service if you are not content with our cash offer. I found this forum post from a customer we sold a car for which will give you a useful insight into the concerns and the eventual outcome.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/he...opic80437.html

To conclude, we love cars and our customers normally love cars too! (Please see our Facebook page to help prove this! Here is the link - http://www.facebook.com/KGFClassiccars

It would be great to hear from some Volvo owners.

Best regards

Karl
01733 425140
07976 935046
Our latest copy of the Volvo Driver magazine has just hit the doormat and got us thinking, it's about time we had another classic Volvo. Please get in touch if you wish to sell yours.

Thanks
Karl
KGF Classic Cars
01733 425140
07976 935046
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 05:04   #35
coaster22

I agree with your comments. I haven't sold to KGF but have sold a number of cars to Classic and Sportscar in Malton East Yorks, no problems. I get what I want for the car money wise, the dealer makes his profit and the new owner / buyer is happy with the price he pays on the sale details. I don't have a parade of time wasters turning up at home or not turning up at all and all that hassle, plus any come back on items has been sorted by the dealer if any.
We undervalue 240s as enthusiasts , .... that's just my opinion.
coaster22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coaster22 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2016, 15:30   #36
KGF1
KGF Classic Cars

Hello

We are still looking for another classic Volvo! If you have dug yours out for the spring/summer season and think you may wish to sell, please get in touch.

Thanks
Karl
KGF Classic Cars
01733 425140
07976 935046
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 09:45   #37
KGF1
KGF Classic Cars

Hello

Our recently sold Volvo 144 Grand Luxe has reignited our love for classic Volvo's! Please do get in touch should you wish to sell yours.

Thanks
Karl
KGF Classic Cars
01733 425140
07976 935046
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 12:41   #38
KGF1
KGF Classic Cars

We are currently enjoying the use of our Volvo 760GLE Estate, having covered over 180,000 miles it's still going strong having been serviced at a Volvo main dealer on average every 6 months! The history file is incredible.

We're always looking for classic Volvo's, so please do get in touch should you wish to sell yours.

Best regards

Karl
01733 425140
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 16:59   #39
geoffo
saving 240's one by one

Default Used car salesmen

A few years ago I misguidedly went to look at a new Japanese sports car as part of my mid life crisis version 1. The poor salesman had a pretend cold in an attempt to gain empathy. He kept going on about how poorly he felt - but made a miracle recovery when rumbled - how peculiar. Anyone else?
geoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 17:33   #40
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Car dealers - modern and classic.

Salesmen ? Usually uninformed, lacking passion, often without social skills. Just look at how some cars are presented by dealers, and some of the hyperbole:..."all steel welded integral construction..."!!!

Jon

Last edited by tt82; Aug 19th, 2017 at 06:56. Reason: Irrelevant Statement.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote