Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scary experience

Views : 5661

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 14:56   #1
joss

On Friday on the motorway (doing 40 in roadworks) I went to accelerate gently and there was no response. I looked down at the pedal and saw the brake pedal hit the floor by itself. The car stopped dead and caused a pileup behind me.

The police are investigating by getting the ecu downloaded. At the time there was no error message. Does anyone know what information they can get from the ecu? I am afraid that if it is not conclusive volvo may not take action and other people may be at risk. I am not trying to be scaremongering, but I like many others wanted this car partly for its safety reputation and this has freaked me out.

Has anyone heard of it happening to anyone else?

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 00:54   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Scary experience

The police will need to investigate the OBD for readings, the ECU/ICU and gearbox for possible effects. The gearbox may be quite likely as there have been reports of sluggish time-lag on acceleration, which Volvo should have cured by now ( I think they are playing Ostriches again).

Are you a Club member? if so would you like to register your car on the XC90 register? Let me know if you would and I can send you an electronic version of the form for you to print, fill out and send back to me (either by scanning and attaching to e-mail, or by snail-mail)

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 21:47   #3
George Holmer

Thank God I drive a real car is all I say..

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'79 262C (B27E/BW55)
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 17:23   #4
Bob
Club Director

I have been in touch with the owner of the car above and VCUK, and VCUK have examined one car which may or may not be the same car as mentioned above. I will pass on any useful info if anything comes my way.

Bob Isaac
Forum Admin
robert.isaac@volvoclub.org.uk
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 15:37   #5
Alex

I experienced something similar on the M4 in road works doing about 40, when the road cleared I pushed the gas and nothing, I had time to think about pushing the hazard warning lights and moving to the hard shoulder when power was restored. Our Volvo dealer didn’t seem to take much notice but after its 3000 mile check and a lot of software/firmware uploads our D5 XC90 seems to be performing better with less turbo lag, perhaps the engine management system was to blame.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:40   #6
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Are you a Club member? if so would you like to register your car on the XC90 register? Let me know if you would and I can send you an electronic version of the form for you to print, fill out and send back to me (either by scanning and attaching to e-mail, or by snail-mail)

All the best, Peter
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 19:04   #7
splutterycar

I reported The 'lag' in pulling away several weeks ago to my dealer.It would appear Volvo know about it.
It only seems to happen on diesel auto's and is caused by a too smaller turbo fitted. (So they say.) I own two garages and am looking into my own cure.May mean 'chipping' it and voiding my warranty, but would rather that than put my family at risk.
Will let you know how I get on.

splutterycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 02:46   #8
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

They certainly should know about it as they appear to have cured it by dint of software downloads on at least a few XC90 D5s.

All the best, Peter
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 17:26   #9
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Ironically, as a rule, the smaller the turbo, the smaller the lag! I simply don't buy that excuse from Volvo. I'd certainly wait to see if they can get you an ECU update before getting an aftermarket one.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 16:36   #10
volvotuning

James,

You're right!!! It's nothing to do with the turbo - it's all in the software.

Adam.