Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water splashing about somewhere in the chassis???

Views : 616

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 21:07   #1
Johnny64

Default Water splashing about somewhere in the chassis???

This is an odd one folks.. (or maybe not?) today ive started hearing water slooshing about somewhere in the chassis, R/H side.. when i break, say coming up to lights, it slooshes forward and if i pull away suddenly it slooshes towards the back of the car. Its not in the doors, there is no moisture or water inside the car, i just cant work out where this water can be or how it got there!? Its the first time ive heard this in the 7 odd years ive owned the car and yes its been a pretty wet winter but ive not been through any floods or high water.. the idea of water running around somewhere inside the chassis fills me with dread, electrically as well as corrosion wise! Any thoughts or ideas? Oh yes, its a 92 240 Torslanda
Johnny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 21:27   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I once had water sloshing around at the rear of my 245, 'Johnny64'. It turned out to be under the false floor in the boot. I never did find where it was getting in despite playing a hose all over the rear of the car. Let it out by drilling two strategically placed quarter inch holes (care needed for obstructions) in the floor and painting it with Hammerite paint. Not pretty, but it solved the problem.

Regards, John.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 07:45   #3
braindamage

On my car, where the vents at the bottom of the windscreen/back of the bonnet drain down to between the door and the front wing, the drain hole was blocked and there was a build up of water. There isn't a great deal of space there though, so i'd be surprised if you would hear the water sloshing about. If it's not the doors, unlikely but could be your sills? Mine had plenty of drain holes in the form of rust, so wasnt an issue for me.
braindamage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to braindamage For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 09:41   #4
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Similar to the above replies:~

Firstly I would take a look at the vents just under the windscreen- push some flexible wire/similar down towards the sill areas.
The same flexibility pushed behind the front of the sills- this is part of the drain channel and can become blocked with leaves-rust-mud-old socks!

Follow the sills back clearing each drain as you go (inner sills can be inspected by folding the carpet back and removing the large grommets.

Whilst inside the car fold the front carpet back further and look under the removable metal floor plates- water can form here- look for the rubber drain grommet in the main floor.

The "A" post areas behind the side kick panel can also be inspected & coated with your favourite wax/rust treatment.
Good Luck.
Bob.

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Feb 23rd, 2024 at 09:43.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 10:18   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The sill is the most likely source, and there's certainly room and the length to slosh in. There are I think three little bulges along the projecting inner seam which are supposed to be hollow to let water drain out. A small knife is good for clearing them.

The sills can fill from the bottom of the A posts, which in turn can get water inside if the wax paper coverings inside over the apertures are torn or missing.
Some models, I think the earlier the earlier ones though, had removeable plugs at the front in the inner wall of the sill for access to the sill.
Of course water can get in anywhere if there are rust holes.

Watch out for water trapped in the floor underneath the metal plates in the footwells. Just because the carpets feel dry doesn't mean there isn't an inch of water sloshing about under the false floor.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 16:41   #6
Johnny64

Thanks everyone- i suspect it is in the sill on the R/H side.. am going to investigate when this dratted (would use a much coarser expletive but..) rain eases up. It does live outside and i have had problems with leaf-matter/ small bits of stick clogging up drain holes etc in the past so will have a good look over. Will report back!
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny64 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 11:13   #7
Bugjam1999
Master Member

https://youtube.com/shorts/fL-yFUj1n...YHQUMUGhKZEatM

Various videos on YouTube about clearing the sills- volvo decided they should be vented, to prevent moisture buildup in them. What actually happens is leaves and other debris gets into the vents under the window screen, down the tubes in the a-pillars and then into the sills, blocking the drain holes, this then traps water and the sills rust from the inside out.

There are access plugs on the inner sill and another at the end of the sill inside the rear wheel arch.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4625.jpeg (108.8 KB, 11 views)
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 00:23   #8
Bob 1967
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Similar to the above replies:~

Firstly I would take a look at the vents just under the windscreen- push some flexible wire/similar down towards the sill areas.
The same flexibility pushed behind the front of the sills- this is part of the drain channel and can become blocked with leaves-rust-mud-old socks!

Follow the sills back clearing each drain as you go (inner sills can be inspected by folding the carpet back and removing the large grommets.

Whilst inside the car fold the front carpet back further and look under the removable metal floor plates- water can form here- look for the rubber drain grommet in the main floor.

The "A" post areas behind the side kick panel can also be inspected & coated with your favourite wax/rust treatment.
Good Luck.
Bob.
Yep under the metal plates is where I discovered an indoor pool about 2 years ago, it's sorted now TG.
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 21:14   #9
Johnny64

Finally (during a short break in the seemingly endless rain in these 'ere parts) i got round to going through all the drain holes under the sills and although they didnt seem particularly blocked, i eventually got about 3 litres of water out of the R/H side. Will go through all the drains more thoroughly and regularly in future!!
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 08:55   #10
Moomoo
VOC Member

Get some in when dry! Great stuff.👍 Get the lance!👍

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bilt-Hamber...5cc7771a68ff5c